6.5 prc hornady 147 match vs Berger 156 EOL

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’d say its superior by about .5mm frontal area(8% more?) and 20 grains mass(14% more?). So yes, I’d say it’s probably ~15% better all else considered equal.

You could go the opposite direction and look at the 240 weatherby. I think folks would agree it’s a lesser elk round than the 6.5 and the 7mm.

None of that shows up in killing animals. Ironically, last year 8 elk were killed with a 6mm last and all 8 died quicker than any we have killed with 30 cal mags with same placement. One of those the 6mm was used to kill an elk at 970 yards that had been wounded with three rounds from a 300 PRC. Does that mean a 6mm is “better” than a 300 mag? No. It means that almost no one has killed and seen enough elk killed with bullets from .22-.338 to see any real difference between them.

As for 6.5’s on elk past 600…. In the last couple of years I have seen or killed myself over 20 elk with 6.5’s past 600 yards. None of them were special- elk were shot in the front half and died as they do with anything else.

Smoked this tender yearling at 150 with hand loaded 147 ELD-Ms out of my 6.5 PRC. 2925 FPS pass through and rapid expansion.

Attachments

• 5A0D973C-5033-4930-A48B-1F84C8981904.jpeg
    5A0D973C-5033-4930-A48B-1F84C8981904.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 32
I've shot and witnessed several elk killed with a 6.5 PRC in recent years. It's always funny to me that many people don't consider it to be an adequate elk cartridge, and always funnier when most of them haven't shot an elk with one. The chart in a previous post shows the 600 yd ballistics of a PRC to be very similar to a 7mm Rem Mag, that should convince most of us. One fact that I feel is overlooked, is the sectional density of 6.5 mm projectiles. Compared to calibers with larger frontal diameters, a 6.5 should, mathematically, penetrate deeper if the same force (energy) is applied to a similarly weighted bullet. Match type bullets don't usually have the structural integrity to penetrate deep on close high-velocity impacts, but at longer ranges they perform very well. The ELD-M and EOL might cause meat damage up close, but the kill will usually be very quick. At longer ranges, they typically kill quicker than tougher bullets that struggle to expand well. Of the elk I've seen killed with the 6.5 PRC, they all died very quickly. Usually less than a few steps after impact. Some were close, some were way out there, but overall I was very happy with how quickly and ethically they died. Most were shot with the Berger 156 EOL, a few with the 147 ELD-M, and 2 with the ELD-x. Find a good load, practice to your pre-determined max range, and then get on to more important things. Rest assured that the 6.5 PRC will have you notching an elk tag (maybe many) if you can do your part.

ScottS_71

FNG
If you are hunting elk, I think I would go with the heavier bullet if your barrel can spin it. My daughter killed a bull last year with the 156 at 700 yards and she killed a buck with the 147s this year at 598. Both did the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Travis in your experience what kind of jump does the 156 seem to like?

MTmt

FNG
My PH2 rifle in 6.5 PRC has been used on 2 bulls, 5 cows, and 10 or so deer. All were taken using the 143 gr ELDX factory ammo. Very positive experiences so far. Nothing over 400 yards, majority right around 300. All cows and some deer were neck shots so not the same as a bulls shoulder. You certainly get way less expansion with them when neck shooting, but they just drop. At the range, the extreme spread is usually 15-17 fps. That particular rifle likes that factory ammo, and that was really convenient when reloading components were hard to come by. I have 156’s built for load development now that I can find components again. I have not yet had the opportunity to try Berger’s EOL match ammo. I’m excited to see the differences. Just throwing it out there since not everyone has a sweet reloading setup, the time to do it, or the connections to get the powder they want.

Backcountryrealtor17

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed no one had mentioned any bear hunting experience with this round, so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I shot a pretty damn big black bear at 575 yards slightly quartering away with the 147 ELDM. Shot devastated the internals and was lodged in the opposite shoulder and found during quartering. As with bears, there was not a ton of blood, and they usually run/tumble no matter what they are hit with and where. He piled up in about 50 or so yards down the mountain. I would have been interested to see what may have been different had that shot been much closer, makes me wonder if that bullet would have fragmented any different and resulted in anything different. With that being said, I would love to experiments with the 156's because it *should* not separate as easily at higher velocities. The ideal shot on a bear has 2 holes since they are known not to bleed much and can get into some thick ass country in the blink of an eye.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
The church I attend says elk killing starts at 30 cal but that's just me. I'm actually building a 338 RUM to give a little context.

I'm thinking of a 6.5 PRC to join the safe this year.

The BC's between the 156 and 147 are negligible and too my knowledge they're both killers.

I'd strongly consider the Hybrid line over the EOL's but in this time you also shoot what you can find.

I'd run the numbers in a ballistics calculator. Inside of 1k and certainly inside of 600 you may find favorable numbers in the 144 hybrid or the 140 ELD as an alternative.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing scientific but I've found the hybrids to be the easiest to tune and have read of more failures from the eol line. Specifically penciling and a lot of that was the 195s.

Again, I'm a huge fan of the hybrids and have shot them in many guns killing deer, hogs a wildebeest in Texas and 3 elk.