6.5 prc hornady 147 match vs Berger 156 EOL

well trying to figure out the "best" bullet for hunting is proving to be a little bit like asking people where to go to church... everybody has different opinions. I am seeking feedback from those who have real hunting experience with the bullets. Here is my goal... accurate and deadly out to 600 yards on an elk. I currently am using the hornady147 match bullets out of my Savage ultra lite 6.5 prc and they do wonders on bucks. a lot of people claim either bullet works great on elk and a lot of people say they wouldn't use one or the other.... like I said, depends what church you go to haha. Thanks for the feedback,

OP
Oregonhuntrboi
I have used both in the 6.5 PRC quite a bit. I left the 147's for the Berger and will not be returning for hunting uses. But I will not use a 6.5 for elk so my experiences are with deer and antelope.
What made you switching stay with the Berger’s ? And just curious, why wouldn’t you use your 6.5 prc for elk?

Broz

WKR
What made you switching stay with the Berger’s ? And just curious, why wouldn’t you use your 6.5 prc for elk?
I didn't like the way the 147's blew up so drastically on shots under 500 yards. The combo of the tips and very thin jackets make them very explosive on higher impact velocities. Perfectly placed shots on deer that were completely broad side still resulted in busted diaphragms and stomach acid all over the tenderloins and hams when you field dress them. I could tell by what went on it was only a matter of time when a bone strike would result in a huge wreck.

We both know a 6.5 will kill elk just fine with all things are perfect. But I know for a fact there are much better tools for the job. Some will laugh at this from their ignorance, but I see a lot of elk killed each year. They are tough SOB's and I choose what I know is a better tool. I know exactly how far even a cow elk can go on one lung. I try to avoid those kind of situations.

I’m curious why the 143 ELD-X is left out of the ELD-M vs EOL debate. I’m going to try the 156 EOL myself but I’ve had great success on deer with the 143 ELD-X.

woods89

WKR
I killed a bull last year with a 156 out of a Creedmoor. Started at 2650, shot was 50 yds. Not exactly a difficult test, but it worked great. I'd say 2-3'' wound channel all the way through. Shot was dead broadside, and not much bone contacted.

I also shot a whitetail the year before with that load. 80 yard shot, with very similar results. I feel that terminally it's an excellent bullet.

I do feel like I have to lean on them harder than I would like in a Creedmoor to get those velocities. I used RL 16. Once my stash is used up I will probably just use 140 Elite Hunters or 130 TMK. I've seen enough tissue damage with the 130 TMK for sure to be very comfortable shooting one into a bull at moderate ranges.

I killed a bull last year with a 156 out of a Creedmoor. Started at 2650, shot was 50 yds. Not exactly a difficult test, but it worked great. I'd say 2-3'' wound channel all the way through. Shot was dead broadside, and not much bone contacted.

I also shot a whitetail the year before with that load. 80 yard shot, with very similar results. I feel that terminally it's an excellent bullet.

I do feel like I have to lean on them harder than I would like in a Creedmoor to get those velocities. I used RL 16. Once my stash is used up I will probably just use 140 Elite Hunters or 130 TMK. I've seen enough tissue damage with the 130 TMK for sure to be very comfortable shooting one into a bull at moderate ranges.

Check out Berger 130 grain OTM Hybrids.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't used the 147's so no input there. I have used the 156 bergers extensively in a 6.5prc. Just shot a 900+ lb bull elk last weekend at 150yds. He was quartering too so i put it on the front 1/3 of his shoulder.

He did not go 1 step. He hunched up at impact, stood still for about 5 seconds, then just fell over like a ton of bricks. There was no exit wound on the quartering shot.

If people are having issues with these bullets they need to look at why. This bullet and several other bergers have proven themselves to me for quite some time.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are hunting elk, I think I would go with the heavier bullet if your barrel can spin it. My daughter killed a bull last year with the 156 at 700 yards and she killed a buck with the 147s this year at 598. Both did the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phil dirt

FNG
I'm a mew member 69 years old and have been a avid hunter and gun nut since I was 5 . Hopping to learn and give back to everyone on Rockslide Iv'e shot two mule deer bucks with the 156 bergers and both dropped on the spot . I drew a cow tag this year and I usually use my 338 RUM , but at age 69 it's not as fun to shoot as it was in the past . I built my prc around the 156 EOL and it shoots sub 1/4 '' if I do my part . Thanks for the information , I just happend to come across the thread while looking for information on the 156 on elk.

I've killed 4 bulls with the 147s from 300 yards - over 1/2 mile.
They work very well but definitely don't shoot them in the shoulder, and take it from me don't shoot elk beyond 600-700 yards with any 6.5!

svivian

WKR
They work very well but definitely don't shoot them in the shoulder, and take it from me don't shoot elk beyond 600-700 yards with any 6.5!
Can you expand on that? My buddy shot at 438yards and got a nice baseball sized hole in the ribs on the backside of the shot. Are you stating major tissue damage on a shoulder shot where meat would be wasted or the complete opposite?

And the 7mm RM is superior? Just using this one as an example since it is revered (and is a great all around choice).

All numbers below are commercial (Strelok Pro) and are for demonstration purposes only.
1666372454045.png

I’d say its superior by about .5mm frontal area(8% more?) and 20 grains mass(14% more?). So yes, I’d say it’s probably ~15% better all else considered equal.

You could go the opposite direction and look at the 240 weatherby. I think folks would agree it’s a lesser elk round than the 6.5 and the 7mm.

Last edited:
I used a 6.5PRC, using Hornady 147gr precision hunter ammo this year during first rifle, shot a cow at 286yds, she went down, rolled over, got up and took three more steps. Then she went down for good. I was happy with the round.