6.5 PRC bullet selection

ElPollo

WKR
So you would take Hammers at distance over the LRX? I personally would rather two holes over one. Which is why I’m thinking of going to monos. And I like the idea of the bullet staying together (LRX) rather then shedding the pedals (Hammer). I prefer to get as close as possible but want the ability to stretch it out if needed.
I don’t have direct experience with either of those yet and would defer to recommendations from the manufacturer on minimum speeds. I’m interested in the fragmenting monos though.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Curious why you think a mono going 2000 + FPS at 700 yards wouldn’t be a good choice but a thin jacket match bullet would? Also, 700 yard reference was for deer, I would stick to 500 yard for elk with the 6.5. Further explanation on your reason for match over mono at that speed and distance would be appreciated.

Bullets kill by damaging tissue. The more tissue destroyed, the faster things die. Monos damage less tissue than the match bullets that have been mentioned. There is almost no one that would be happy with what they saw of how a mono expands in the chest of an animal at sub 2,400’ish FOS impact. They do not look like the adds. Caliber size expansion or less below that speed is the norm.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Barnes says their TTSX will expand down to 1600 and other say similar things. But the expansion at those speeds doesn’t do a whole lot to increase to damage tissue.

I’m going to wager that their version of “expansion” won’t be yours, or nearly anyone else’s. A much better (read realistic) velocity is 2,300 for most TSX’s, 2,200 for TTSX’s, and 2,100-2,000 FPS for LRX.

OP
I hunt_dm3
Bullets kill by damaging tissue. The more tissue destroyed, the faster things die. Monos damage less tissue than the match bullets that have been mentioned. There is almost no one that would be happy with what they saw of how a mono expands in the chest of an animal at sub 2,400’ish FOS impact. They do not look like the adds. Caliber size expansion or less below that speed is the norm.
Have you personally used mono and had issues?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Have you personally used mono and had issues?

Yes. By the hundreds. There is a thread in the firearms subsection titled “223 for deer, bear, elk, moose”. I would highly recommend finding and reading that for a lot of terminal ballistics information.

ElPollo

WKR
I’m going to wager that their version of “expansion” won’t be yours, or nearly anyone else’s. A much better (read realistic) velocity is 2,300 for most TSX’s, 2,200 for TTSX’s, and 2,100-2,000 FPS for LRX.
Won’t say you’re wrong. My experience is similar. 350 yards was a skotch too far for a 140 gr TSX in 270 win. The 130 grain TTSX will go maybe 400ish in the same caliber. I’m generally picky with my shots and trying to avoid big bones because I hate to waste meat. Between your wealth of experience and mine, I’m leaning back towards lead. I get the downsides of using lead. There are some places where it’s a bigger deal than others and some species that are more affected by it than others. But the biggest issue for me comes down to wind drift. There was a time when I hunted areas where I was more likely to draw tags and my shots were closer. Now I mostly hunt big open, windy country. If you compare the monos with the higher BC lead rounds for wind drift, the latter are much more forgiving on wind and less likely to result in watching something run over the horizon after you shoot it. That said, inside of 300 yards with a light bullet and fast cartridge, monos will kill well if you can shoot.

PowPowHawg

Lil-Rokslider
In either a 6.5 PRC or Saum the berger 156, Hornday 143eldx, 147 eldm and 153 ATip will be unmatched in terms of BC and KE on target if lobbed at the high node in your rifle.. Shoot the one that is most accurate and don't look back regardless of a name or what anyone else is doing within their barrel chamber…

rootacres

WKR
Ive had good luck with Bergers in the accuracy department. And used a 168gr classic hunter in my 7 WSM to take a bull last year. I re-barreled to a 7 SAUM this year. With the current bullet situation I moved to some 143gr hammer hunters. It was the easiest load development I have ever done, good SDs. Ill have to babysit the velocity once the barrel is fully broken in. Legit repeatable 1/2 MOA accuracy. I just shot a 2 1/4" group (3 shot) at 600 yds. Best of all. . . the bullets are in stock.

*Keep in mind the mag box length of the Ridgeline. Hammer bullets being a Mono are long for their weight. with my 7mm SAUM and the 143gr HH I'm out to 2.855" loading .035" off the lands.

anybody use the lapua 155 grain mega bullet in their 6.5 prc yet? thinking about using it for a brush load for elk.

Sako76

WKR
Another vote for the 156 grain Berger. I shot 2 bull elk in 2019 with them, 1 shot, DRT. Ranges were 150 and 250 yards out of a 6.5 SAUM at 2850 fps at sea level.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would go with 147 eldm or 156.

My deer load is 143 eldx and my daughters elk gun is 156 EOL. Both shoot great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up some 142 ABLRs and recently worked up a load. I'm very impressed with the accuracy - my rifle seems to like them. I have a 1:8" twist and couldn't get Berger 156s under 0.75 MOA. Haven't used the 142s on game yet, but think the bonded bullet should help bridge the gap between unbonded and mono...

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
The 156 berger eol shoot the best out of my seekins havok 6.5 prc. No on game experience yet but hope to fix that soon. My barrel is 1-8 and 24 inches. Getting just shy of 3000 fps with reloader 26.

I'd pitch the 142 ablrs in the trash, I've used them on elk along with the 175 ablr and they were terrible, even worse than the 147 eldms which I never thought would be possible.
I'd recommend the 140 or 156 bergers for longer range, and the monos for elk inside 500

OP
I hunt_dm3
I'd pitch the 142 ablrs in the trash, I've used them on elk along with the 175 ablr and they were terrible, even worse than the 147 eldms which I never thought would be possible.
I'd recommend the 140 or 156 bergers for longer range, and the monos for elk inside 500
I’d like to try the Berger’s but it’s nearly impossible to find any. Going with the 124 hammers for this season.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I picked up some 142 ABLRs and recently worked up a load. I'm very impressed with the accuracy - my rifle seems to like them. I have a 1:8" twist and couldn't get Berger 156s under 0.75 MOA. Haven't used the 142s on game yet, but think the bonded bullet should help bridge the gap between unbonded and mono...
Good bullet, I’ve seen the 142 ABLR take 2 bull elk. I’ve got some test loads ready to try in my 6.5 SAUM in a few weeks.

Timrellis

FNG
Pictured is an exit would from a 127gr Barnes LRX. (Hornady new brass, WLRM primers, 58gr. H1000, loaded at 2.910”) This was a relatively close shot but the amount of damage was undeniable. Basically liquified lungs and dropped him on the spot.

I had my doubts about the Barnes but being in CA I didn’t have a choice. After this I will be sticking with the LRX even out of state. Not to mention accuracy is 1/2 MOA at 100yrds and I’m pushing that LRX ≈3119fps with an ES of 4fps across 5 shots. (Rifle is a browning x-bolt pro 24”).

Barnes claims good expansion down to 1500fps on the LRX so looking at a ballistics calculator that gives me expansion out to roughly 900yards. I have 1500 ft-lbs out to about 400yrds and 1000 ft-lbs to 650yrds. I think anything elk sized and down this bullet would serve you well. 5A9EE19B-071E-4405-904F-F267F5FAE5D4.jpeg

E02DF9B9-C361-454C-B6F9-6DD4DB112043.jpeg