6.5 Grendal???

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it does. Now that I have a .36 cal can, I am sorely tempted to build a .358 win. I have had a couple of them over the years and they are fun.
The 358 has been fun but I'm not sure I'd build another one. After watching the 223 and 6.5 threads I'm not convinced it will do anything that a 308 won't do with better long range ballistics and more ammo and reloading options. Now if I was only using harder bullets like Nosler Partitions I might think differently. A project for this summer is to hit some bears with the 308 and match bullets to see how that works.

Vern400

WKR
I was wondering about the 6.5 Grendal too. I have no doubt it would work, after all we have a huge thread about the 223 working on big game. My question is this; is the 6.5 Grendal more likely to create an exit wound?
I did a bit of math and the recoil of a 7.25 pound 224 rifle would be roughly 5.6 pounds of recoil energy.
Now if I built a shorter/lighter 6.5 Grendal as a pistol or SBR it would be a nice host for my older suppressor. If I use the parts I have and don't go crazy with carbon fiber the pistol could be right around 4.5 pounds. Add on the suppressor and scope and the package would be about 7.25 to 7.5 pounds. Well with that weight a 8.4 pounds of recoil energy but that will be reduced somewhat by the suppressor.

So basically I could have a 223. rifle with no suppressor or a 6.5 Grendal Pistol+suppressor. The overall weight and length would be pretty close. The main differences would be that the Grendal would be (almost) hearing safe with the suppressor and it might give me better blood trails.

Am I missing something here? I was all set to buy a Grendal barrel but not it looks like the 223 is just as good. The main selling point was that I assumed I'd get more exits and blood traisl with the 6.5 G but that appears less likely now.
You might be missing the 6.8 SPC. It's very similar to a Grendel and can shoot the same 120 grain bullet. But since the base of the bullet has more surface area, losing barrel length doesn't matter as much. I guess you could say the bullet gets up to speed quicker because it's fatter and a little shorter. But you give up a little bit of long range performance you may not care. The Grendel is known for staying supersonic beyond a thousand yards and having more energy than a 223. Given that you're shortening your barrel the 6.8 SPC might be good for you. A good number of hunters in the southeast are reporting good solid kills with both cartridges, above and beyond the parent cartridge of the AR.

Take a look at the 6.8 SPC and see what you think.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
The problem with the 6.8 SPC is that ammo seems harder to find. I do handload but lately family obligations mean I tend to grab factor ammo whenever I can. 6.5 Grendal ammo is relatively easy to find and I'd probably stock up once with enough for a couple seasons.

kkp005

WKR
It’ll kill the hell out of any hog out there. Shoot them in the ear, shoulder or right behind it with an Eldm, bthp or sst and they will die.
All the hogs below were killed with thermal topped 7.62 x39 and cheap Russian soft points. Contrary to what most belief, they aren’t armor plated and die pretty easily

Attachments

• IMG_8299.png
    IMG_8299.png
    714.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8300.png
    IMG_8300.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8301.jpeg
    IMG_8301.jpeg
    801.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8302.jpeg
    IMG_8302.jpeg
    574.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8303.png
    IMG_8303.png
    801.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8304.jpeg
    IMG_8304.jpeg
    695.1 KB · Views: 19

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
It’ll kill the hell out of any hog out there. Shoot them in the ear, shoulder or right behind it with an Eldm, bthp or sst and they will die.
All the hogs below were killed with thermal topped 7.62 x39 and cheap Russian soft points. Contrary to what most belief, they aren’t armor plated and die pretty easily
Man oh man, that looks like fun. Whacking and stacking.

Tl15

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t get the Hornady factory SST’s to group for crap in my AR nor my Howa mini. Velocities are great, but they just spray the target. The Nosler 129 ABLR factory load is the ticket for me. Sub MOA all day at 2,300 in 18” tube. I usually take hogs at night, so just about anything would work when you put one in their brain. The little guys are ohhh so tasty.

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpeg
    IMG_0719.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1606.jpeg
    IMG_1606.jpeg
    621.6 KB · Views: 8

Tl15

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted an entire season with 154gr 7.62x39 Tul soft points and was very pleased. When I dug them out, most looked like this one, or better.

Attachments

• IMG_0904.jpeg
    IMG_0904.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0903.jpeg
    IMG_0903.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 7