6.5 Creedmoor vs .308: Which is more of a "Killer"

Rifle season is fast approaching here in Tennessee and I have two excellent Tikkas. 1) Tikka UPR 308 2) Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor

I handload for both

308:168 grain Berger Classic Hunter or 168 grain ELD-M/AMAX 2)
6.5 Creedmoor: 143 grain ELD-X

Between the two short action cartridges, which is more of an emphatic "killer" at yardages from 10 to 500 yards?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Rifle season is fast approaching here in Tennessee and I have two excellent Tikkas. 1) Tikka UPR 308 2) Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor

I handload for both

308:168 grain Berger Classic Hunter or 168 grain ELD-M/AMAX 2)
6.5 Creedmoor: 143 grain ELD-X

Between the two short action cartridges, which is more of an emphatic "killer" at yardages from 10 to 500 yards?
With that bullet selection, the ELD-M will likely destroy more tissue, so potentially kill more emphatically and waste more meat.

My guess, not having used either is the 6.5 will kill very well with an ELD-X and produce more desirable amounts of damage.

Form's pictures of wounds from a 308 using bullets like the ELD-M show what I would consider excessive meat damage.

Personally, I favor high weight retention bullets to minimize meat loss.
Of those choices, both will work, but I would favor 6.5 CM with ELD-X.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bullet placement is higher on my list of “killer“ potential, and you essentially have some of the best performing bullets.

If you drew a circle around the best, a 65 could shoot and the best hey 308 could shoot, when you consider environmental factors, then the 6.5 Creedmoor is a better choice.

To make my point, draw that same circle around a six Creedmoor, shooting a 105 or 115 burger, and it will kill more effectively simply because it will print a smaller group at distance, considering wind drift and drop.

svivian

WKR
Looks like plenty of relevant discussion on these threads

OP
General RE LEE
Looks like plenty of relevant discussion on these threads

My question was about .308...not 30-06.

ElPollo

WKR
I was debating the same two cartridges not too long ago and went with the 6.5 due to lower recoil and better down range ballistics. I took three animals with it last year and have no regrets. If anything, I’d go smaller now. I’m in the process of picking up a 223 bolt gun. The ammo is way cheaper for practice. And I am confident that, with the right bullets, it’ll handle anything I’m hunting these days.

amassi

WKR
The A-max is a messier bullet than the eld-x.
Potentially would result in more emphatic kills
But like already noted, you’d be hard pressed to tell a difference between the 2.

dv8pnt

FNG
I have shot a lot of PA whitetails with hornady precision hunter 143 grain eldx 6.5 creedmoor. None went far.

11boo

WKR
I have got to try that leisure hunting. And my .308 has easily dropped elk, and I just got a 6.5 a while back. Really, I like it more.