6.5 creedmoor or 6.5prc

Buying a new deer hunting rifle and I’m debating between these two calibers. 500 yards is my max effective hunting range but also want to do some long range target shooting. I’ll be running a suppressor so barrel length is a small factor. Weighing the options between overall weight, barrel length. I only use factory ammo so that is another factor. Curious on the opinions. Cheers

Within 500 yards both will be fine. Creed has more bullet options but plenty for the PRC as well. I like the PRC better and it has more knockdown power. I have one with a 20” barrel and a suppressor that shoots 143gr Eld-x factory loads under 1/2 MOA.

12wander

FNG
If you don’t reload I would go with the Creeeeeedmoor. Factory ammo more available. If you reload then the 6.5-300 Weatherby

For deer under 500 yards? Creed all day long due to ammo availability and barrel life.

If you were looking at elk beyond 500 then there would be more debate.

I'm looking into reloading now and can't find PRC brass or primers, let alone factory ammo.

6.5 CM regularly pops up on shelves. 143 ELD-X is all you'll ever want/need.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
I just traded in my Creed for the PRC....I needed a skootch more thump. Creed will be just fine inside of 500. I shoot further than that.

Now I'm sitting here fondling a brand new rifle and can't shoot it, its the thing nighmares are made of. I tried to get brass or ammo before the gun got here but it didn't happen. So here I sit. No ammo, no brass, screwed until I can find some at a decent price.-WW

B23

WKR
Between the 6.5CM and 6.5PRC the Creedmoor is much easier to get factory ammo for.

Since you're shooting factory ammo I'd suggest getting a 6.8 Western instead of either because factory ammo is nearly always easily available for the 6.8 Western.

davsco

WKR
eh a little more juice never hurts, go for the prc. i've seen equal (albeit rare) availability of creed and prc ammo online recently. sell your soul and buy 10+ boxes and you should be set for a while.

For deer I’d go with the CM. More than enough for deer at your max distance, cheaper to shoot, easier to find ammo, less recoil, etc

Chronographed (143 gr ELD-X commercial)
6.5 CM (2066 FPS @ 500)

Estimated (143 gr ELD-X commercial)
6.5 PRC (2268 FPS @ 500)

For comparisons…

Chronographed (178 gr ELD-X commercial)
308 Win (1806 FPS @ 500)

i've seen equal (albeit rare) availability of creed and prc ammo online recently.
Sorry but I have to completely disagree with that. Unless you're looking at gunbroker, 6.5 creedmoor is readily available from retailers whereas PRC rarely shows up. I'd estimate 20:1 availability, if not worse. Nowhere near equal.

davsco

WKR
ok maybe we're both off. quick search on ammoseek got 43 creed and 4 prc so roughly 10:1. i have both calibers and have seen a fair amount of both, outside of gunbroker. unfortunately prices suck, but at least for hunting use, a handful of boxes should get you thru a year incl some sight in and practice..

I have both. The 6.5 CM will be perfect for what you are wanting and there are way more factory ammo options that are cheaper than the 6.5 PRC. You might take a look at the 6mm CM as well. Mine is becoming my favorite gun. Perfect for deer and coyotes.

id_jon

WKR
I have both. The 6.5 CM will be perfect for what you are wanting and there are way more factory ammo options that are cheaper than the 6.5 PRC. You might take a look at the 6mm CM as well. Mine is becoming my favorite gun. Perfect for deer and coyotes.
I was going to suggest 6CM too. It was never out of stock at my local sportsmans, 6.5 was never available for a several month period, though I think it's come back around for the most part.

Ammo for the PRC is out there if you look around, for reasonable prices too. I bought 50 rounds through Unknown Munitions and then found 7 boxes of 143 eldx at a local shop for $43 a box. The creedmoor is definitely easier to find but that wouldn’t be a determinating factor for me. Plus if you get a creedmoor everyone will tell you that you need a man bun and have to drink soy lattes, if you buy a PRC you’re automatically one of the cool kids 🤣