6.5 Creedmoor - Hornady Factory Ammo -

Hookem 74

FNG
OK.. FINALLY getting some range time with my Ridgeline 6.5 Creedmoor.. did some barrel break-in a few months back, just now getting to shoot again after the minor tweaks (Taking trigger WAY down, little sanding up front on stock). Still sorting through the factory Hornady ammo, and man, the one I was really hoping to shoot.. well... is a total flop. 129 SST... others are all about the same, and very surprised by the American Whitetail line.. 100 yds with a decent rest. Little explanation - 2nd photo is the American Whitetail.. 2 in the same hole nad one a little low - - the last photo shows 2 holes away from the other 3.. about 5" apart.. the third didn't even hit paper. That is the 129 SST's. Can't wait to start reloading and get this thing to its full potential!
IMG_0184.JPGIMG_0185.JPGIMG_0186.jpgIMG_0187.JPG

My wifes' factory Savage lady hunter shot under 1/2 inch groups with hornady 140 Amax ammo. You might give them a try. They're nasty medicine on elk.

OP
H

Hookem 74

FNG
My wifes' factory Savage lady hunter shot under 1/2 inch groups with hornady 140 Amax ammo. You might give them a try. They're nasty medicine on elk.

That is what the 3rd pic is of. For sure the tighter group.

GKPrice

Banned
OK.. FINALLY getting some range time with my Ridgeline 6.5 Creedmoor.. did some barrel break-in a few months back, just now getting to shoot again after the minor tweaks (Taking trigger WAY down, little sanding up front on stock). Still sorting through the factory Hornady ammo, and man, the one I was really hoping to shoot.. well... is a total flop. 129 SST... others are all about the same, and very surprised by the American Whitetail line.. 100 yds with a decent rest. Little explanation - 2nd photo is the American Whitetail.. 2 in the same hole nad one a little low - - the last photo shows 2 holes away from the other 3.. about 5" apart.. the third didn't even hit paper. That is the 129 SST's. Can't wait to start reloading and get this thing to its full potential!
View attachment 39193View attachment 39194View attachment 39195View attachment 39196

pics 1 & 3 show groups that "want" to be better groups and 2 & 4 indicate to me there is something not correct with the gun or scope mounts ie; bedding, action screws, loose or impeded mount screws, #4 could just be a flyer (but that's just me .....) I'd try adjusting OAL on 1 & 3

OP
H

Hookem 74

FNG
pics 1 & 3 show groups that "want" to be better groups and 2 & 4 indicate to me there is something not correct with the gun or scope mounts ie; bedding, action screws, loose or impeded mount screws, #4 could just be a flyer (but that's just me .....) I'd try adjusting OAL on 1 & 3

These are all factory loads still, and the OAL on them is crazy different.. I am trying to shoot ones together that are closest in OAL. I was shooting off a Sandbag that needs about another 2 cups of sand in, and chasing Mirage in S. Texas on these, so I'm sure I can tighten them up just with a situational change.

I agree with GKPrice. The Eld-X looks like it has good potential. I'd get that bullet seated a little closer to the lands, I bet they tighten up big time after that.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The Eld-X looks like it has good potential. I'd get that bullet seated a little closer to the lands, I bet they tighten up big time after that.

I haven't been pleased with the ELD-X factory ammo. I have been tempted to pull the bullets and re-seat them and try again.......especially since I can't find the bullets by themselves.

Just a thought....

I just finished my final grouping with my mom's browning hells canyon speed in the creed. I have her shooting 142 gr Nosler ablr with 44.3 gr of superformance powder. Shoots .467 with that load.

I haven't been pleased with the ELD-X factory ammo. I have been tempted to pull the bullets and re-seat them and try again.......especially since I can't find the bullets by themselves.

I thought about doing the same just to try it out because I have a few boxes and they didn't group well at all. 4"-6" at 200 yds. I found some a couple months ago and bought 10 boxes of .284s 162gr. They are fantastic when custom loaded, at least through my rifle they are. I love em!

Another thing with dismantling a factory round is that it wouldnt stop at pulling the bullets, I'd neck size with a bushing and reweigh the powder to an even average on all of them in the box. I think it's too much work for what it would be worth. Midway had plenty of them for sale last week???

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
Just a thought....

I just finished my final grouping with my mom's browning hells canyon speed in the creed. I have her shooting 142 gr Nosler ablr with 44.3 gr of superformance powder. Shoots .467 with that load.

what model is that gun in a 6.5?
hows it shooting factory ammo?

View attachment 39193View attachment 39194View attachment 39195View attachment 39196

Try cooper creek's 130 VLD's... Order today will probably have by Wednesday.
Another option is dallasreloads. Chad usually has the 129 ABLR's in stock.

Edit: just saw you reload. If you don't have time you can buy load work up packs from cooper creek

what model is that gun in a 6.5?
hows it shooting factory ammo?

Browning xbolt hells canyon speed. I shot hornaday precision hunter 143 gr eldx to break in. Anywhere from .75 to 1.25. I didn't find it very consistent.

My reloads with nosler 142 ablr are tack drivers.

The 6.5 CM Christensen I had shot the 140 ELD Match as well as any reload I came up with. It liked 130 VLDs too. But it never did much better than .75 MOA. The kind of groups you're getting were pretty typical of most everything I fed it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

micus

Lil-Rokslider
my RPR shoots the factory "long range hunter" hornady eldx 143's into .75-.5" fairly consistently. Its in a dark grey kind of gun metal colored box. expensive but seems to shoot great.

I found the 129 sst's to be garbage.

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
that hells canyon gun is pretty sweet, has everything im looking for my wife, except has a synthetic stock if it was wood i would be all over it, she has a short length of pull and i need to be able to cut it down to at least 12" . 11 3/4 would be best.

It is a very sweet rifle. Wish I had one. I will be putting a reloading post of here in a minute, but her xbolt in the 6.5 CM and my Browning X-Bolt Micro Hunter in 7mm08 shoot better than the 28 and 26 nosler in the Christensen Arms Rideglines, except for 1 load from the 26.

My xbolt shoots Berger vld 140's at around 3/4-7/8" groups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal