6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

I’ve seen what villlagers do to moose and caribou with their mini 14s.
I watched someone with a once in a lifetime tag kill a freaking stud of a bull with the 223/77gr TMK. It was over in about 4sec, the bull swapped ends and fell. The bullet broke the knuckle in two and the destruction was horrific.

Next time you kill a moose, lay your barrel across its chest any direction you like, take a Nalgene bottle, and visualize it being pushed through the animal the length of your barrel. That is what some 6.5 bullets will do.

@Formidilosus - You often recommend the ELD-X/ELDM for the 6.5. Does that hold true on a moose where a shot <100 yards is likely?

Absolutely. I can not understand people that have killed many animals that still think they are armor plated and hard to kill. They are muscle tissue, bone and organs. They die like anything does.

Absolutely. I can not understand people that have killed many animals that still think they are armor plated and hard to kill. They are muscle tissue, bone and organs. They die like anything does.
Thank you! I have seen enough of your photos to have zero doubt about the effectiveness at longer ranges. I was more concerned that the damage might be too significant at higher impact velocities.

Thank you! I have seen enough of your photos to have zero doubt about the effectiveness at longer ranges. I was more concerned that the damage might be too significant at higher impact velocities.

The nice thing about heavy for caliber, fragmenting bullets is you tend to get very wide, and relatively deep wounds. I’ve caught way more accubonds and similar than all the match and ELD-X’s combined.

I read an article the other day about a guy killing a bull eland with a 6.5 creedmoor. The shot was 250 yds and the bull collapsed in 30 yds. And they weigh more than a moose.

This thread needs a bump…

140 ELDM from 6.5 CM (Copper Creek), 200 yards w/15° declination. Entry just above left shoulder and exited right shoulder breaking it. Bullet fragments caught under hide. DRT.

View attachment 454668View attachment 454669View attachment 454670View attachment 454671

Edit: Added pic of cleaned up recovered bullet found under far side hide (there was significant bone fragments alongside bullet remains). Don’t have scale to measure weight:

View attachment 455096
Heart or lungs hit, and the condition of each?

666y, 2,070’ish FPS impact, 130gr Berger OTM Hybrid AR, did not leave his bed-
View attachment 358436

801y, 1,850fps impact, 130gr Berger OTM, traveled 70’ish yards-
View attachment 358438

606y, 130gr Berger hybrid, 1,850fps impact, traveled around 60 yards maybe-
View attachment 358439

676y, 130gr Terminal Ascent, 1,970fps impact, traveled 130’ish yards-
View attachment 358440

328y, 130gr TMK, 40’ish yards traveled-
View attachment 358445

373y, 143gr ELD-X, less than 10 yards traveled-
View attachment 358446

373 or 378y can’t remember exactly, 130gr TMK, 70-80 yards travel-
View attachment 358447

I can post more later.
Those poor animals! Can you take a season or two off so the rest of us can kill something!?

Great shooting man. That Tikka looks great!

View attachment 358449View attachment 358452View attachment 358453
Here's some 147gr ELDM action from a pretty stout mule deer buck in 2019. First pic is the off-side shoulder, bullet was against the hide. 2nd pic is with that scapula/shoulder removed. 3rd is the bullet itself. Shot was approx 180 yards.

I used the same combo for my mule deer buck at 250 yards in 2020 and my mule deer buck last month at about 18 yards. No pics from those but I wouldn't be able to see any difference. Deadly combination.

This particular Creedmoor shoots the 147gr at a muzzle velocity of 2785fps. (Handloads)
Mind sharing you barrel length? powder used?

Update to bear info: Recovered 140 ELDM bullet weight on far side hide was 74 grains.

The pic doesn’t do justice to how the bullet remnant was actually shaped (came apart while cleaning out bone and tissue). From outside of hide, felt like perfectly shaped bullet.

60F32EA8-6EEF-4F4A-9BE4-409E18D93ED9.jpeg

Update to bear info: Recovered 140 ELDM bullet weight on far side hide was 74 grains.

The pic doesn’t do justice to how the bullet remnant was actually shaped (came apart while cleaning out bone and tissue). From outside of hide, felt like perfectly shaped bullet.

View attachment 455649
Your experience and Form's with the 140 ELD-M have me convinced that it will be my go-to bullet in my 6.5 Creedmoor. It had previously been the 142 ABLR which has been fantastic but I can't find them reliably and my rifle likes the 140 ELD-M very much.

Speaking of 140 ELDMs, here's one caught in the offside hide of a Sitka Blacktail from a few weeks ago. Last three animals (another Blacktail and a mountain goat) were all similar-- just a bit of encased lead remaining in the offside hide, no exit. None dropped right there, but all were down in seconds.

Attachments

• IMG_5207.JPG
    IMG_5207.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 98
Back