6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

Hagas4all

FNG
Yes? Haha.

I tend to use Scandinavian/Finnish knives as in general they have a much more practical and functional aspect to them versus most US or other designed knives. The NA market is way over saturated with marketing and looks, and way less on actual use.

The Mora specifically, but other knives of the ilk as well, use good steel that holds on edge and is easily resharpened in the field, the blade shapes are appropriate for general use and skinning, the handles are way better designed for various uses than most other knives- rounded/smooth usually without finger grooves; their overall size is good, and the cost is appropriate.
Most custom knives with super steel absolutely suck as functional tools. Blade shape is terrible for use, the steel can’t be field resharpened, the handle design feels good only in one grip, they are silly expensive, etc, etc.
What are you using to field sharpen the Mora? I just picked one up on this recommendation. What you’re saying about grip makes total sense for hand fatigue when filed dressing.

In the past I have used pull through pocket sharpeners with underwhelming results on cheaper steel. Perhaps I wait to long to sharpen.

nobody

WKR
What are you using to field sharpen the Mora? I just picked one up on this recommendation. What you’re saying about grip makes total sense for hand fatigue when filed dressing.

In the past I have used pull through pocket sharpeners with underwhelming results on cheaper steel. Perhaps I wait to long to sharpen.
I'm not Form, but I carry one of these in my kill kit:

Works good. I can use it to touch up Havalon blades, my small multi tool, Esee Izula, pocket knife, or anything I or anybody I'm with might be carrying. Cheap enough that if I leave it on the hill it doesn't hurt too bad.

The Mora has a Scandi grind on the blade, IIRC, which will easily be destroyed by the pull throughs. From a knife guy perspective, pull throughs are the WORST thing you can do to your blade. But a ceramic rod and a strop (which the worksharp has) would lend itself well to use on a Scandi grind blade like a Mora or a Helle or something similar.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

What @nobody linked to would work, however I use this-

See the link above for Sierra’s loading data. I am loading Sierra’s book max with the 130 TMK and H4350 with an OAL just under magazine length. I’m getting about 2670 fps out of a stock T3x barrel cut to 16.5” with a can. I am getting right at 1 MOA 10-shot groups with that and no pressure signs. That puts me at >1800 fps to 650 yards.
That’s great velocity for 16.5”

Just under tikka mag length? Or aics or what? My tikka 6.5 mag is surprising like 2.98” which I didn’t expect.

I did a velocity test of 5 quick at 2.85” with 42.5 if imr4350 today in my 16” and got 2526. After looking at sierras data it seems like I can crank it up a bit. I should probably snag a hornady coal gauge and see how long my throat is too.

Mine shot well, but I’d love an extra 100fps too

SouthPaw

WKR

Just under tikka mag length? Or aics or what? My tikka 6.5 mag is surprising like 2.98” which I didn’t expect.

I did a velocity test of 5 quick at 2.85” with 42.5 if imr4350 today in my 16” and got 2526. After looking at sierras data it seems like I can crank it up a bit. I should probably snag a hornady coal gauge and see how long my throat is too.

Try Varget. Book max nets 2770 in my tikka 20" with the 130tmk and shoots moa loaded at 2.800.

ElPollo

WKR

I am using a factory Tikka mag.

Every barrel is different. But also keep in mind that IMR4350 and H4350 are different powders and they have different max charges.

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
Seeing that the 223 thread is such a success, I thought maybe I would start one for the Creedmoor/260. Seems like people are asking a lot about using them and various bullets, especially for elk. I've used mine for the last few years almost exclusively. I have some pics of bullet damage, albeit not nearly as many as I should have, from a couple deer. I'll try to briefly describe the ones I don't have pics of.

If you have experiences, good or bad, post them up. Of course, pics are great, and add a lot of valuable information. Maybe it will take off, maybe it won't, but if it does it could be a good reference.

1-Small whitetail doe quartering away at 50 yds. Impact behind the shoulder and exit in front of opposite shoulder. Caliber size entry, golf ball size exit. Deer immediately dropped at the shot. Bullet was 130 TMK at 2830 fps or so, impact 2750 ish?

2-Whitetail doe quartering away at 40 yds. Impact behind the shoulder and exit through offside shoulder. Caliber size entry, golf ball size exit, vitals were mush. Deer ran 30 yds and piled up. Bullet was 130 TMK, same velocities as above.

Entry
View attachment 357819
Exit
View attachment 357821

3-Whitetail doe slightly quartering away at 80 yds. Impact behind the shoulder and exit point of offside shoulder. Caliber size entry, golf ball size exit, vitals destroyed, pieces of lung laying in the field beyond the animal. Deer dropped at the shot. Bullet was 156 Berger EOL at 2650 fps, impact 2550ish

Entry
View attachment 357822
Exit
View attachment 357826

2021-Bull elk broadside at 50 yds. Impact behind shoulder and exit same location. Caliber size entry, slightly less than golf ball size exit. 3-4'' hole through both lungs. Bull ran 50 yds, stopped, and tipped over. Bullet was 156 Berger EOL at 2650 fps, impact 2600ish.View attachment 357828
Wish I had some wound channel pics of the elk but my hands were bloody and we were in a hurry. I need to start carrying latex gloves so I can peel them off and use my phone.

Post them up!
147gr ELD from 6.5 Creedmoor at 255 yards. DRT, no exit.

John

IMG_2283.jpg

Unckebob

WKR
I was listening to a podcast about Back Country hunting this week where the guest described hunting a Grizzly bear with a 6.5CM. Basically, he wanted to get a rise out of the anti-6.5 crowd by proving it could be done.

His article on the hunt is here:

Unckebob

WKR
It can be done but not a good idea if something goes wrong. Huge difference between a bear that is unaware and one that does and is upset. I like the 6.5s but want something bigger especially for one who wants to even the score with you.

He was definitely an experienced bear hunter. In particular, he has killed a number of animals including bears with his bow. At the end of the podcast, they have an interesting take on selecting the correct cartridge.

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I was listening to a podcast about Back Country hunting this week where the guest described hunting a Grizzly bear with a 6.5CM. Basically, he wanted to get a rise out of the anti-6.5 crowd by proving it could be done.

I thinks his first option was a 223 but he couldn’t find any 77 TMK’s in stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR

Was this Tyler Freel where he hit it with 3 shots at 10 yards from a tree stand maybe, in seconds? Said it was over and bear dead in 7 seconds on his video he happened to have running. He hit well for sure and quickly. Used a partition I think. It made it get dead af as one would expect.

Probably he could’ve used a 223 with FMJ or a shotgun with turkey loads with the same result, doesn’t sound much like hunting to me

gerry35

WKR
Those circumstances are about as ideal as one could hope for and I'm not surprised it killed the bear quickly. Still not much of a bear stopper though if things go south ;)

Unckebob

WKR
Those circumstances are about as ideal as one could hope for and I'm not surprised it killed the bear quickly. Still not much of a bear stopper though if things go south ;)

You could not pay me to voluntarily get within 10 yards of a Grizzly.

If you listen to the podcast, they had an interesting discussion about what cartridges he would actually recommend. The ability to get off rapid follow up shots was very important. Which is better? A 30-06 in a rifle the owner had confidence in shooting accurately and and quickly or a new rifle in huge cartridge that the owner has limited experience with.

His recommendations in an article: https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/best-bear-cartridges/

amassi

WKR

Does a charging grizzly care what hits it? I see this discussed in the handgun threads all the time and it seems your only option is to kill it to stop the charge
I’m fairly certain a partition would make it through a grizzly skull at 50 yards ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk