500 Grain arrow build

Bowhunting197

FNG
Classified Approved
Morning,

I’ve been shooting victory V-force standard .246 arrows for several years. I want to keep my arrow weight around 500 grains or slightly under. Looking for suggestions on arrows in a .204/5mm size.

Personal specs
70lb bow
30.” Draw
30.5” carbon to carbon
125 gr head

I shoot 125 gr heads and own about 20 broadheads of my personal favorite so please factor in I won’t be switching to 100gr head

I like the idea of how tough easton Axis are but can’t seem to get my arrows around that 500 gr mark. (260 spine)

Thanks for the help

Check out gold tip black label quantums. 340 spine and cut your arrow down a little. That should get you to a touch over 500

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
From my math it looks like an Axis 260 puts you at about 521grs. Are you trying to stay at 500 to get the extra 7fps? If yes, what fps are you trying to get to?

SloppyJ

WKR
My arrows come out right at 498gr and I'm 29" carbon to carbon. I used Victory RIP TKOs, Ethics stainless halfouts cut down to the weight I want, Blazers, 125gr broadhead, and a nockturnal nock. They're pretty stout too.

nphunter

WKR
RIP TKO is your best bet. Easton 50gr HIT’s you can fine tune the weight with a collar from several companies.

OP
B

Bowhunting197

FNG
Classified Approved
From my math it looks like an Axis 260 puts you at about 521grs. Are you trying to stay at 500 to get the extra 7fps? If yes, what fps are you trying to get to?
If i am plus or minus a bit i am not too concerned, when i throw a lighted nock on it adds up a little.
do you run a standard HIT?

OP
B

Bowhunting197

FNG
Classified Approved
RIP TKO is your best bet. Easton 50gr HIT’s you can fine tune the weight with a collar from several companies.
thanks for the help. I've never played with a Collar but i am not opposed. i saw plenty of companies make options.
would you say the RIP TKO is more durable/"tougher" than a V force?

There's nothing wrong with a standard diameter arrow, but I understand the urge to try something new.

Any of the .204" shafts listed below in 250 spine with a fairly light rear end (e.g., 9 gr nock + three 7 gr vanes) paired with the appropriately weighted hidden insert (HIT) can meet your desired specs. If gpi is around 9, use a 75 gr brass HIT. Around 10 gpi, use a 50 gr brass HIT. Around 11 gpi use a 16 gr aluminum HIT.
Screenshot_20231211_115725.jpg

Last edited:

nphunter

WKR
thanks for the help. I've never played with a Collar but i am not opposed. i saw plenty of companies make options.
would you say the RIP TKO is more durable/"tougher" than a V force?
Yes, one of the most durable arrows made. Defiantly one of the most durable in that weight range, i believe the Sirius arrows are made with the same weaved carbon which is what makes them durable. Collars are great for fine tuning weight.

I have two arrow with different fletching that weigh exactly the same. The only difference is one uses a 25gr collar and one uses a 10gr.

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
If i am plus or minus a bit i am not too concerned, when i throw a lighted nock on it adds up a little.
do you run a standard HIT?

I use 50gr brass inserts but I have a 27in draw, so we have different problems. :) I did put the standard 16gr insert in when I ran your numbers.

I did not account for a lighted nock and put 9grs for the nock.

This is what qspine spit out. That is with a 335IBO.

Attachments

• IMG_4992.png
    IMG_4992.png
    330.2 KB · Views: 3
OP
B

Bowhunting197

FNG
Classified Approved
Thank you all for the help on this, the main reason I was looking at changing things up was the idea of a tougher front end on my arrow. I have heard 5mm are a little more stout with a thicker carbon wall than a stand arrow.

I broke up the front of a victory Vforce where the insert ends on a whitetail shoulder this year. Still killed the buck but got me thinking of 5mm stout arrow with the option of a collar.

If I kept my current arrows has anyone use a collar on a .246 arrow to help toughen up the front end?

OP
B

Bowhunting197

FNG
Classified Approved
I use 50gr brass inserts but I have a 27in draw, so we have different problems. :) I did put the standard 16gr insert in when I ran your numbers.

I did not account for a lighted nock and put 9grs for the nock.

This is what qspine spit out. That is with a 335IBO
The axis always seems to come up as a solid option. Hard to argue with how popular they are!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I shoot 32.5"+ draw length but cut all my arrows to 30" CTC. My RIP TKO 250's with 75gr brass HIT's, 125's, a Bohning A-nock, and 20gr of fletching come in right at 500gr. Great option.