50 cal TC Encore 200 yd accuracy expectations

Siscoe308

FNG
Howdy Sliders, I’ve pulled a reasonably exciting muzzleloader whitetail tag. (Details intentionally omitted)

And am dusting off the ole Encore .50 for the hunt.

I’ve bought a Williams Western Precison sight set & will start gathering data to prepare….but
I’m curious what are reasonable expectations for consistent accuracy & ethical range I can expect?

I’m fairly familiar with peeps (military/ service rifle type shooting) and will have solid ballistic data before the hunt.

Wrench

WKR
I handed my wife my 50 cal hawken loaded with a 460gr bullet. I had set the elevation on the peep and she let me help her dial in the aperture.

Once set she busted a clay pigeon at 220 yards. The aperture makes a huge difference.

This rifle will shoot moa to much better when I can do my part. The system requires decent light or great contrast (deer in snow) at lower light levels. I spent a lot of time figuring out my elevations at various ranges.

There's no reason your rifle won't do it too. I have a knight set up exactly the same as my hawken and it will hang right with it.

Look at williams target apertures at Buffalo arms on the cheap, gehmann being the caddilac and a few dial a hole types in between.....they're what will bring you the highest level of accuracy.

Wrench

WKR
As for ethical range, my longest shot on a whitetail was 175 with the knight and I used a 495 no excuses for a complete pass through.

Everyone claims blackhorn 209 gives the best consistent accuracy. It's not cheap tho. I've done fine at my ranges with the white hot pellets.

I've never shot at 200 but I would make sure your gun can handle the 150grn magnum loads and if not I would get one that can. I have the cva optima v2 long range that can handle the extra powder.

I shoot the hornady all copper in a sabot. Called hornady monoflex bullets and they have been very accurate at 100.

OP
S

Siscoe308

FNG
I’ve got 3-4 lbs of Triple 7 & will prolly give that a try before shelling out for Blackhorn.

I can’t wrap my head around the cost of Blackhorn! $80+ for 8 oz

Wrench

WKR
I only shoot swiss and t7. I find swiss to be far superior in ignition and doesn't seem to draw moisture as bad.

I'm shooting as good with swiss as anyone is with any fake powder.

Traditional black powder companies spend zero on advertising and everyone thinks it's voodoo and impossible to clean up. Shoot my hawken most because it's the easiest gun I have to clean.

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have killed several deer at 230 yards with my encore and BH209. All were complete broadside pass through. Deer seldom traveled 20 yards.

BH 209 is just awesome. Simply cannot understand why someone would not buy the best. One can should last 2 years.

OP
S

Siscoe308

FNG
BH 209 is just awesome. Simply cannot understand why someone would not buy the best. One can should last 2 years.
That’s why I come here for ya’lls experience.

What exactly is better?
ES/SD’s? Speed? Accuracy?
Weeping bitter tears when you spill a tea spoon full?

Wrench

WKR
Best is pretty subjective. You can light 2f swiss with ANY ignition in ANY temperature and at ANY charge weight.

Here's basic irons at 200.

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
I used a TC Encore .50 last year for my NV bull elk hunt. I used BH209, Winchester 209 primers, and Barnes 290tmz bullets. I was able to hold a 4" group at 200 with the factory open sights. That was probably limited by the sights and my eyes more than the rifle. I shot my bull at 230 yards and it went through both shoulders and everything in between them.

OP
S

Siscoe308

FNG
I used a TC Encore .50 last year for my NV bull elk hunt. I used BH209, Winchester 209 primers, and Barnes 290tmz bullets. I was able to hold a 4" group at 200 with the factory open sights. That was probably limited by the sights and my eyes more than the rifle. I shot my bull at 230 yards and it went through both shoulders and everything in between them.
that’s exactly what I was looking for!

Do you have any data on charge weight, speed or ES/SD?

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
I looked back at my notes and the groups were 2.5” groups at 200. The drop from 100-200 yards was 4”. I ended up at 95 grains by volume, then weighed all of my reloads out. I never checked for speed. I just knew if I could get close to 200 I was good.
The first shot was 190 quartering towards me. It went in just in front of the shoulder/neck and exited just in front of the opposite rear leg. He ran about 30-40 yards and started to drop at his rear legs and then gain balance again. I figured the first shot was enough, but always heard with elk to not stop until they are down, so I reloaded and the second shot was broadside at 230 and he dropped right there.

OP
S

Siscoe308

FNG
Thanks guys!

I’ve got an order in for 4 different bullets in the 250ish class.

I also broke down and bought a couple 8ozer’s of BH209. So I’ll have 777 & BH to play with.

I’ll get things rounded up & run some load dev. Hopefully I can get close to your results!