50 Cal Elk Bullet

Wanting to get guys experience with bullet choice on elk. I bought a CVA Accura MRX a few years back, I did a bunch of load testing and really like the 250gr Thors, they shot very well out of this gun with 110gr BH209. However, my intentions for this load at the time were focused around mule deer.

I found out yesterday that I drew a New Mexico Muzzleloader Elk tag. I now want to tailor my load for elk. The easy thing to do would be buy 300 gr thors. and re-sight in. But figured I should get others input who have more experience with muzzleloaders.

I read a lot of things about the no excuses bullets on here. I wanted to get some first hand experience from some of you guys who have shot elk with both those and with the Thors.

What's your go to elk bullet?

MThuntr

WKR
Those are tough bullets and if they shoot great in your rifle I'd stick with what shoots best. With the new 2023 rules on no muzzleloader optics in NM, I'd be more inclined to shoot what I know the rifle likes.

I shot 2 whitetails with tipped 250 gr thor bullets last year. I would not shoot an elk with one. This one broke 3 ribs going in then stopped on the offside humerus without breaking it. Lead conicals will give vastly superior penetration.
1205221757.jpg

CMF

WKR
I just recently got the MR-X and I'm dialing it for CO elk and NM mule deer. I'll keep posting updates on the thread I started as I work thru loads.
I have some 300gn Thors to try, but I'm waiting until I have my lead sled to try them.
@100yds
with 80grn bh209,
powerbelt 330 grain ELR were 2.5-3" group
Hornady 290grn boredriver were 2" group
This was shooting off a foam rest, so not the best for getting data.

Accura MR-X thread

Delta21

FNG
I’m starting down the same road, I’m looking into the Hornady FTX and the SST. Not sure if tipped or lead be better. What something that will punch entry and exit hole if possible. Look forward to hearing what others think

CMF

WKR
The lead sled is going to break your rifle, mounts, scope, or some combo thereof.
I guess I'll get away from the sled, I haven't heard of that before, but I bow hunt and don't shoot a ton. Looking into it, it seems lots of people have problems. Guess I'll get some bags. Nice Red.

Walmart Greeter

Lil-Rokslider
250 grain barnes TEZ blew clean through a bull elk from 100 yards on last year’s hunt. Shoulder was not struck. 290 would have been preferred but couldn’t find any. Treat your muzzle loader shots like archery shots

Elknutty

FNG
I shoot the No Excuses 50 cal 460gr bullet. They shoot great, and have great weight retention. I have shot 5 elk with them, one bull went about 40 yards, the other elk went less than that.
I used to shoot 295 gr power belts…I shot a cow with them, and never found her.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
Can you use sabots in NM? I have had great accuracy with Parker 300 gr ballistic extremes out of my LR-X. Two of my buddies have killed elk with LR-X shooting thors.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
Yes in NM,
No in CO
This was 150 yards after some load testing with the 300 ballistic extreme. Also have the arrowhead breech plug system with Magnum rifle primers, BH209. Been consistent.

Attachments

• ECF28254-8018-4FEC-8ECF-AAA4FFB18228.jpeg
    ECF28254-8018-4FEC-8ECF-AAA4FFB18228.jpeg
    579.1 KB · Views: 11
OP
RaggedHunter
This was 150 yards after some load testing with the 300 ballistic extreme. Also have the arrowhead breech plug system with Magnum rifle primers, BH209. Been consistent.
That's a dang nice group. What kind of velocities are you getting with that load? How many grains of powder? I've got the vari-flame breech plug on the way so I'm planning to shooting large rifle/magnum primers as well. Although I'm wishing I had ordered the arrowhead breech plug, we will see how the vari-flame does. I'll order the arrowhead if I don't like it.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
That load is 85 grains BH209 weighed out. And velocity was 1988 off of my magneto. I went up to 89 grains but 85 was my best groups.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I had blow back with the original breech plug and 209 primers. So far with the LRMP haven’t had any issue.

eltaco

WKR
I’ve shot Fury Universal for bullets at sun-MOA out of a Knight Mountaineer. I took my bull in CO with a 320gr, and intend to use the same bullet again this season. I have some Fury 300s left over but haven’t encountered as good of accuracy with that bullet as of yet.

Give the Fury’s a look, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed you did.

OP
RaggedHunter
I’ve shot Fury Universal for bullets at sun-MOA out of a Knight Mountaineer. I took my bull in CO with a 320gr, and intend to use the same bullet again this season. I have some Fury 300s left over but haven’t encountered as good of accuracy with that bullet as of yet.

Give the Fury’s a look, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed you did.
I've got some thor 300's and Fury 320's on the way to try. I will report back with my results.