.410 shot size for rabbits

I'm going to pick up a .410 for rabbits that are destroying the garden. What is a good shot size for out to about 40 yds. What choke should should I use? I am not sure if it will be a new or older shotgun.

Antares

WKR
I shoot a lot of snowshoes with 2 3/4” 20 ga #6 Kent Fasteel. Forty yards is a long shot, especially with a .410. Why not a .22lr? I only use a shotgun because the rabbits are running in front of my dogs. If they were siting at 40 yards, I’d want my .22lr.

dtrkyman

WKR
If you have seen a .410 pattern at 40 yds you wouldn't worry about shot size!

They pattern to maybe 30 at best with game type loads, I was shocked I ever killed a pheasant with mine after hitting the pattern board.

Look up some turkey patterning with TSS on the tube.

E.Shell

FNG
#4, 5 & 6 are most often used for rabbits, but many are killed by upland bird hunters using #7-1/2s.

As you move up to larger shot sizes, pattern density suffers but penetration improves. For hunting for food, larger shot is usually better because it will be more likely to penetrate completely and not end up cracking a tooth. For shooting garden pests, the shot size is of far less concern and you may find smaller shot sizes will work as well.

As mentioned above, 40 yards is a very long shot for a .410 with conventional ammo. #6 would come closest to giving you adequate pattern density.

"Full" choke is almost universally used for .410s, in an effort to maintain pattern density with the very light shot charges used, although sometimes "Modified" can provide better patterns, especially with larger shot. If you really do intend to shoot to 40 yards, I would suggest patterning your load(s) to ensure you've picked the best one for your use and to understand your gun's limitations.

KHands17

FNG
.410 is tough at that range, but when I rabbit hunt I’m either using 4 or 6 shot. You can go the spendy route of tss, but Ive harvested a lot of rabbits with Winchester Super X’s, which are usually the cheapest shells you can find, but like all ammo it’s all so expensive right now.

go_deep

WKR
I have a .410 with a full choke, it's good to about 27 yards with a 3" round. I think 40 yards would be a good range for a scoped .22

Last edited:

NRA4LIFE

WKR
My Gamo 440 will take 'em out at 40. Done it many, many times. I snipe them from the top porch down into the garden. A 410, I'd go with 4-6 shot, full choke.

AZ_Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
#6 is my preferred. #4 is just too thin of a pattern. I use an XX Full on 410’s regardless. My sons have nuked a good many of squirrels and rabbits with 3” #6.

hiker270

WKR
A good pellet gun would be my choice for garden rabbits. Quiet and cheap ammo. You can purchase one almost anywhere with no background check and many of them are in the 1200 fps range which is close to many 22 long rifle rounds.