3D Mapping Apps in the field

jpkoepse

FNG
Anybody have recommendations for 3D mapping apps in the field (out of service) with downloadable maps? Last I checked, gohunt and onx didn't support it offline and they are both pretty laggy/buggy. I used to use FatMaps but they are closing shop. It was incredibly smooth and quick.

OP
jpkoepse

jpkoepse

FNG
I use both OnX and Gaia. Both allow you to download maps for use offline.
Right, but do they allow the "3D" mode in offline mode? Last I checked, Onx did not. And it's so damn glitchy when you're online, it's painful.

Bummer to hear that fatmaps is closing. I use backcountry navigator, which does not have 3D mapping. After 13 years of using it with a caltopo slope angle shading topo package, I've gotten very good at visualizing it in 3D.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
Offline hybrid maps via Basemap have worked well for me. I like 3D as a pre scouting tool more than anything.

Caltopo's shading feature is awesome and more "honest" in my opinion.

rw79

FNG
OnX, GoHunt and Gaia all have download features for offline maps in the field. Check out Spartan Forge as well. They aren’t quite to the level of the other maps yet, however, they have UAV mapping that is much, much more detailed than the satellite mapping offered by the big players. SF has not, at this time, completed their UAV mapping. However, once they have it completed, it will be a game changer in my opinion.