360 Buckhammer

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
Bringing this back to the top now that most of the deer season is behind us. Anyone get one? I have one on order but curious on feedback any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like it is what the 350 legend should have started as, but with the new 355 bullets (170gn SP and TSX) I feel the 350 is the better option.

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t disagree. Hoping they come up with some more ammo options. At the end of the day, I wanted a lever gun and this seemed like the best option for my area. I already have straight wall options in single shot and AR platform so I might not use it in every scenario.

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
I got a 360 buckhammer barrel for my encore. Limited to one deer so far but he didn't take another step. To be fair it was a almost straight on shot at 15 yards so probably not much to learn from it. I got my nephew a shot during Sept youth season and I was less than impressed with my 350 legend although we did find his deer. No blood and no exit hole so no blood trail and it was a 20 yard broadside shot.

Fordguy

WKR
I got a 360 buckhammer barrel for my encore. Limited to one deer so far but he didn't take another step. To be fair it was a almost straight on shot at 15 yards so probably not much to learn from it. I got my nephew a shot during Sept youth season and I was less than impressed with my 350 legend although we did find his deer. No blood and no exit hole so no blood trail and it was a 20 yard broadside shot.
Winchester 150 xp?

Bluefish

WKR
Don’t know for sure, still have another week to fill a tag. From a 14” pistol, ammo 200g Remington is going 2220. Pretty shootable, I expect it will do fine as I had good luck with a 357 max and the 360 bh has more case capacity for more speed.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Was looking at the buckhammer and like the 30-30 parent case but not the .358 bullets and not the lever action aspect. If yer gonna buy a case of ammo and be very happy with 180 or 200 gr, good deal. Will kill any deer or elk you shoot.

I already have a 350 legend and shoot diff bullets in there, even sizing some to .356 to fit. Really like it. If you reload, there are so many more bullet options for 350 Legend.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like bad bullet selection not bad caliber selection.
Although I've had bad performance out of trusted bullets too; core-lockts and power points so maybe N=1 isn't a big enough sample size to draw fair conclusions.

I'm not in a straight wall restricted state but came closs to buying a 350 upper several times during the pandemic just because there was always ammo on the shelves. Seemed like it would be a good pig round.

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any guesses on if we will see some factory Hornady rounds? They make a lot of lever ammo with the FTX and the have a .358” option. Not sure if the FTX is an improvement though. I have about moved on from all my .450Bushmasters with FTX after underwhelming results.

Shraggs

WKR
I got a 360 buckhammer barrel for my encore. Limited to one deer so far but he didn't take another step. To be fair it was an almost straight on shot at 15 yards so probably not much to learn from it. I got my nephew a shot during Sept youth season and I was less than impressed with my 350 legend although we did find his deer. No blood and no exit hole so no blood trail and it was a 20 yard broadside shot.
Living in lower Michigan restricted area got to say I’m more than impressed with the lethality of the 350 legend. I’m using factory 150 xp and they are wicked and do similar (but less) than my rss 223/77. Buddies who went heavier bullets are not seeing great results…

I’m interested in the buchammer cause I love levers for Midwest deer. Just don’t know if it really matter vs legend that’s works well for 250 yards.

I’m going to let data points filter in before I jump in

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
96db5da8e01869a63b46c5583fc1ff2f.jpg

Picked it up over the weekend and just got the scope mounted. I will report back once I get to shoot it a bit. Right now I have a couple boxes of federal 180’s. Still hunting around for Remington 180 to see how they compare.