358 Winchester for upcoming NL moose hunt

I just ordered some Barnes 200gr bullets, and TAC powder to work up a load this summer. The outfitter says to be proficient from 75-150yds with a maximum of 300. Let's see what it'll do. my rifle is a light contured barrel Ruger 77

Reactions: Guy

robtattoo

WKR
I really wish Speer would unplug their heads & reinstate the 220gr Hot-Core.

The only bullet that's even remotely better is the Rem Core Lokt & they've been unobtainable forever.

My little 700 is hands down my favorite rifle. 20", 7lb on the button.

20210115_195359.jpg

Macintosh

WKR
re: the mono--be really careful with the across the board velocity recommendations, they are not valid across the board. Example, barnes mono muzzleloader bullets expand PLENTY at velocities way below 1800fps, that's like the muzzle velocity of most muzzleloader projectiles. Barnes is admittedly crappy at communicating this info, but they will tell you a different velocity for almost every different caliber and weight bullet...example the .308 168 expands at lower velocity than the .308 165gr. It may be +/- accurate for most of the high-velocity rifle bullets, but there are notable exceptions. Call them and ask about the .358 bullet if worried and get a velocity (and add some padding to whatever they tell you), but 100% they make bullets that are specifically designed to, and from firsthand experience do, reliably expand at much lower velocities.

Moose aren't that hard to kill, unless that bullet is grossly mismatched with the velocity you'll get, it'll work fine.

OP
GeorgeShaw
re: the mono--be really careful with the across the board velocity recommendations, they are not valid across the board. Example, barnes mono muzzleloader bullets expand PLENTY at velocities way below 1800fps, that's like the muzzle velocity of most muzzleloader projectiles. Barnes is admittedly crappy at communicating this info, but they will tell you a different velocity for almost every different caliber and weight bullet...example the .308 168 expands at lower velocity than the .308 165gr. It may be +/- accurate for most of the high-velocity rifle bullets, but there are notable exceptions. Call them and ask about the .358 bullet if worried and get a velocity (and add some padding to whatever they tell you), but 100% they make bullets that are specifically designed to, and from firsthand experience do, reliably expand at much lower velocities.

Moose aren't that hard to kill, unless that bullet is grossly mismatched with the velocity you'll get, it'll work fine.
I did call them, and was told 1800fps was the minimum velocity they recommend on that bullet. I'm only in the test stage right now for a 2025 hunt. I'll build a load, run it through the crony, and determine what distance will maintain that parameter. I know that it's not going to smash through a shoulder like a 338Win Mag.

Macintosh

WKR
then its like their regular centerfire rifle stuff, keep it well above 2000fps and you will be fine, barnes seems optimistic about their minimum velocities. Looks like you’ll want to load that pretty hot to get reliable expansion at 300 yards. This is for a ttsx g1 bc of .369 at 1500’ elevation. 2650 fps mv was down in the 1900fps range at 300.

Again, moose are not hard to kill, you definitely dont need a 338. The moose Ive been around taken were with standard .308win, 7mm-08, 30-30, a 30-06 and a 270 win, about half with solid coppers. All died just fine with zero fuss. That gun will go thru moose shoulder just fine.

IMG_4565.png

Last edited:
OP
GeorgeShaw
then its like their regular centerfire rifle stuff, keep it well above 2000fps and you will be fine, barnes seems optimistic about their minimum velocities. Looks like you’ll want to load that pretty hot to get reliable expansion at 300 yards. This is for a ttsx g1 bc of .369 at 1500’ elevation. 2650 fps mv was down in the 1900fps range at 300.

Again, moose are not hard to kill, you definitely dont need a 338. The moose Ive been around taken were with standard .308win, 7mm-08, 30-30, a 30-06 and a 270 win, about half with solid coppers. All died just fine with zero fuss. That gun will go thru moose shoulder just fine.

View attachment 724214
Thank you for the assistance.

Macintosh

WKR
yeah, and sorry to be a busybody! Sounds like a cool cartridge, I was curious so plugged it in. Surprised it isnt more popular around me.

OP
GeorgeShaw
yeah, and sorry to be a busybody! Sounds like a cool cartridge, I was curious so plugged it in. Surprised it isnt more popular around me.
It's all good, you're not a busybody at all. I welcome all discussions and comments. I learn stuff that way, and maybe someone watching does too.

OP
GeorgeShaw
I see online a lot of guys using TAC for the 358Win, so I bought a couple pounds. Using Hornady data I loaded 50gr(52+ was maximum) at 2.810" OAL, I'm not sure if 52 will fit actually. Only loaded 5, I'll test 3 for accuracy, and run 2 through a chronograph.

Attachments

• 20240617_153825.jpg
    20240617_153825.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 2