338 lapua Imp OR 338 terminator ?

westcoasthunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m starting to think about building a 338 lapua imp, or a 338 terminator , I have a BAT HR lapua action and a manner LRH stock but I might change that out. Thinking 28-30” barrel . And I have a good amount. If N-570 so plan on that and 300 bergers. Do you guys recommend the 338 lapua imp or the 338 terminator? And what barrel and contour do you all recommend? This will be a hunting rifle I use from truck my to hikes up to 5miles or so to a vantage point.

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 338 lapua ai with a bore rider throat, basically a 338 terminator with a 40 degree shoulder. Personally the dies are going to the hardest part to obtain and there’s something to be said for the ease of the terminator. I run the 300 otm at 3070 fps in my brux fluted 5 contour at 30”. I also have a 30” heavy Palma for target shooting. The length is a pain in the ass in the field. If I were to build a hunting rig I would probably choose a 28” heavy contour carbon. Hells canyon tactical, or a carbon six bull contour

B23

WKR
The Terminator is a Lapua improved. Shawn has dies and proper head stamped brass.
X2

If I didn't already have a 338 Lap Imp 40° and Redding dies I would absolutely go with Shawn's 338 Terminator instead. If you have Shawn build you a 338 Terminator it's like one stop shopping because you can buy the dies, formed brass, and get load information all from the guy that builds it. Defensive Edge has built me numerous rifles and pretty much have been doing all my builds/gunsmith work over the last 10+ years and I couldn't be happier.

OP
W

westcoasthunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 338 lapua ai with a bore rider throat, basically a 338 terminator with a 40 degree shoulder. Personally the dies are going to the hardest part to obtain and there’s something to be said for the ease of the terminator. I run the 300 otm at 3070 fps in my brux fluted 5 contour at 30”. I also have a 30” heavy Palma for target shooting. The length is a pain in the ass in the field. If I were to build a hunting rig I would probably choose a 28” heavy contour carbon. Hells canyon tactical, or a carbon six bull contour
Thanks for the info. So what does your rifles weight ? How the recoil on the one with a #5 contour brux?

OP
W

westcoasthunter

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t mind the carbon idea, or even a rem varmint/ sendero barrel fluted . I think I’m going to use a ti 3 pro muzzle brake. I just don’t want to go to light where the recoil is horrible

Can you share load data?

Nick