.308 and Elk hunting..

I’m looking to start testing some loads for an elk hunt next year in Montana, but have been going in circles reading forums all over the internet. It seems like I’ll seem to come to a common consensus only to be convinced otherwise a few threads later. So, I figured I’d ask it here.

The situation:

- potential range up to 400 yards, most likely 300
- rifle is a Winchester model 70 extreme weather MB
- shooting suppressed

What I’m working with:

- I currently have a few different powders, but probably will land on imr4064 or TAC (don’t have varget or RL15)
- standard federal LRP
- Hornady new brass

Not sure if I should go 165 or 180gr, and even what bullet to go with. Im ok buying a couple more options to test out, but I have Sierra 165gr gamekings and 180gr Hornady Interlock.

I’ve been seeing recommendations for Accubond, Partition, and TTSX, but also seeing people recommend against them due to velocity etc.

What bullets are successful against elk at .308 velocities out to 400 yards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
Any of the bullets you mentioned will suffice for elk well beyond 300 yards. I am partial to a nice bonded bullet but many are proponents of monolithic bullets as well. Don't overthink it.

t_carlson

WKR
165 Accubond, although 165 Ballistic Tips are plenty stout enough if you can’t find Accubonds. I shoot them out of my 300 SAUM and have put them through elk chests more than once.

wannajeep

FNG
I've LOVED the new federal premium copper bullets. Incredible on both elk and deer. Perfect expansion. Haven't had good luck with the eldx for expansion.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have a nice load with 165 grain Accubonds traveling 2740fps from a 20” barrel for my 308Win. I’m hoping to put one in an elk the next time I draw a tag.

Last edited:
OP
allstajacket
Any of the bullets you mentioned will suffice for elk well beyond 300 yards. I am partial to a nice bonded bullet but many are proponents of monolithic bullets as well. Don't overthink it.

Thanks. You think the 165 interlock would do well?

I used a factory load 150 interlock on my whitetail this year with great results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I just shot a cow with a Berger hybrid hunter at 380, 20” barrel suppressed. Dropped dead in her tracks. Shot placement is the most important. I’d think the accubond/partition would serve most people well.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
Any you list will work.

With a cup and core, I tend to go with a heavier bullet. Bonded, copper or Partition for the lighter stuff.

You will see that it all can work and does. Killing is not hard. Buy a bunch of whatever you pick and really practice (price might drive you to cup-n-core).

Last edited:

bluumoon

WKR
Worked up a load for my 18" .308 win this year 168gr ELDM over TAC at 2685fps. At 6800ft elevation I hit 1800fps at 550 yards. Varget wasn't quite as fast for me.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
According to a guide on here he had a client bounce a .308 round off a elk's shoulder at 250yds! 🤔

My advice is use a heavier bullet that is the most accurate out of your rifle. Ive killed a pile of elk with a eld-x out of a 6.5. your 308 work great if you put the bullet where it's supposed to go.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
165gr bonded bullet, and don’t look back. Swift sciroccos have been out shooting accubond for me, but I’m not done tinkering.

I've LOVED the new federal premium copper bullets. Incredible on both elk and deer. Perfect expansion. Haven't had good luck with the eldx for expansion.
I purchased several boxes of these federal copper 150gr for .308, but haven't had an opportunity to test on an animal yet. They grouped very well at 100 yards. I'm planning on hunting cow elk next fall, do you think the 150 gr is sufficient?

Yes, no problem on the 150's! My son took several with a 125 NAB, shot placement and good bullets.
That’s good to hear. I figured it was probably safer to start using copper and avoid possible lead contamination in my game meat. Who knows how dangerous it actually is…but for just a little more money, it’s worth it to me.