308 and Aoudad

WCB

WKR
You're good to go...No idea where these mythical creatures come from but an Aoudad is a Sheep/Goat. Anything used for those can be used on an Aoudad at the same distances you would shoot sheep/goats at.

God bless your hunt,

I have taken two Aoudad with a 168 grain Nosler E-tip moving at 2750fps muzzle.

The first was hit slightly low and forward at 208 yardsand smashed the shank into splinters, passed through the bronchi. The exit wound was sizeable and the animal ran approximately 10 yards in a circle.

The second Aoudad I shot at 341 yards uphill at low light in Lincoln County NM with a 308 168gr Nosler; despite the additional distance the animal dropped immediately onto its fore legs and collapsed.

I am confident that a 308 with proper bullet selection and judicious marksmanship is capable of taking an elk to 600 yards.

I do believe a 30-06 is a better quality rifle caliber in just about every respect however.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
God bless your hunt,

I have taken two Aoudad with a 168 grain Nosler E-tip moving at 2750fps muzzle.

The first was hit slightly low and forward at 208 yardsand smashed the shank into splinters, passed through the bronchi. The exit wound was sizeable and the animal ran approximately 10 yards in a circle.

The second Aoudad I shot at 341 yards uphill at low light in Lincoln County NM with a 308 168gr Nosler; despite the additional distance the animal dropped immediately onto its fore legs and collapsed.

I am confident that a 308 with proper bullet selection and judicious marksmanship is capable of taking an elk to 600 yards.

I do believe a 30-06 is a better quality rifle caliber in just about every respect however.
30-06 is the came caliber as a 308 win.

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
No question the .308 will work, but if you have the means to buy a new rifle.....I would opt for a heavier magnum .30 caliber bolt-action rifle. I shoot a .300 WSM for most of my hunting. Also, in my experience auto-rifles are not very accurate past 200 yards.

No question the .308 will work, but if you have the means to buy a new rifle.....I would opt for a heavier magnum .30 caliber bolt-action rifle. I shoot a .300 WSM for most of my hunting. Also, in my experience auto-rifles are not very accurate past 200 yards.
Never will I shoot a magnum or long track ever again. Creates a flinch, and not necessary for any hunt I've ever been on.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know about any of that. I would seriously consider your ethics here. Aoudad have armor plated shoulders just like every other critter in “ North America”. I would start with at least a 300 wby mag but I wouldn’t take any shots over 50 yards with it cause “ft-lbs of energy matter”. Best cartridge for the ranges you are considering would be a .338 lapua 🤣. In all seriousness though, people kill them with sharp sticks. I’m sure just about any cartridge, from .223 on up, with some sort of expanding bullet within its velocity window, strategically placed in the armpit will kill any aoudad in short order. This is all coming from a crazy man who kills mule deer and whitetails with 87 gr vmax bullets out of a .243 win at 3300 fps muzzle velocity. So take it for what it is worth.

Last edited:

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
I’m taking my .280ai to hunt them next week. Hopefully I’ll be able to report back with positive experiences. My partner is taking something just a bit larger I think.