300 WSM vs 300 win mag

Having just gone through this, the rifle I wanted played a role into cartridge choice with the WM and WSM were front runners. I settled on the Tikka (having considered Browning, Christensen, Bergara, Seekins, etc.). I could not confidently find a factory 300 WM rifle that would allow me to run heavy 30 cals with the bullet not crammed down into the brass past the neck - shoulder junction without a new barrel or considerable modification. The SAMMI chamber was not intended for 200+ gr bullets. I ended up choosing the Tikka T3x (being closer to a mid length action when outfitted with the LA bolt stop) in 300 WSM, bought a Hell’a Canyon magazine, and ended up with 30 cal mag performance with bullet seated where it should be in the case (205 Berger elite hunter for reference).

If one does not intend to hand load, 300 wsm is a non-starter IMO. In the end, neither are wrong… and for all I do with hand loads, I could end up missing an animal because I goofed up on that particular round.

Seekins has like a 3.95" mag for 300wm and you can load long bullets fairly long.

Reactions: Duh

rm06

WKR
I have a Remington 700 in 300 WSM in a McMillan Edge stock. The package is crazy light, which was the intended goal. It also boasts some rather robust recoil, so much so, that I throw the weight and balance off with suppressor screwed on to the end. I dislike brakes.

I've been lucky enough to have owned it for over a decade and was able to acquire a lot of ammo at decent prices, comparatively speaking. Regarding feeding issues, if I don't work the bolt deliberately and with some authority, it will fail to pick up a round - I realize this is a me problem, like short-shucking a pump shotgun.

I've very happy with it, whatever perceived problems I have with it outweigh the tank of a Ruger 300 WM I used to lug around.

My 300Wm 24 inch tube throws a 180 accubond @3050 my 22 inch 300wsm is @ 2845 with the same accubond. Recoil is about the same.

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka t3 300 wsm 24" factory barrel running 180 accubonds with rl17 and norma brass at 3050fps with no pressure signs. Been using this load for over a dacade and it is an absolute hammer on elk.
When developing load ran it all the way up to 3150 before pressure signs.

Eventually want to build a shorty 300wsm with a 20" barrel. Tikkas mid length action paired with a wsm caliber is a perfect match. Would be so handy.

300 win mag has the edge to wsm when loading the heavies or you just plan on shooting factory ammo.
My .02

Jmgates09

FNG
Buy the 300wsm ammo is expensive asf but its coming back around remington federal and nosler have all just released runs of the 300wsm u can find the accubond and SIROCCO 180gr and 185 hybrid berger fairly easily right now n the 150 gr winchester xp n copper impact will never run out buy 100 rounds n start reloading

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
As others has said, ammo is a consideration. Looking at MidwayUSA, they have one box of WSM ammo in stock at 90, WM has 22 boxes/choices at 38+. Having owned and shot both, I'd go with the WM, a long action does not bother me and the advantages in ammo far outweigh an extra 1/2"

KenLee

WKR
As others has said, ammo is a consideration. Looking at MidwayUSA, they have one box of WSM ammo in stock at 90, WM has 22 boxes/choices at 38+. Having owned and shot both, I'd go with the WM, a long action does not bother me and the advantages in ammo far outweigh an extra 1/2"
I shoot 150s out of my 300wsm and 300wm x-bolts.
The wsm is 3 3/4 inches shorter than my 300wm and sends the same factory ammo 20fps faster. I already have 2 cases of wsm ammo, so the damage is done.
The shorter length difference helps in climbers and small box blinds

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
If you consider that the 30-06 was released in 1906 and is still the king (all things considered), it's hard to make the argument that cartridge development has changed much in 100+ years. New cartridges are just little tweaks of existing ideas and I'm not complaining.

Case in point, I just spend a bunch on money building a 6.5 PRC and 7mm PRC because the small improvements (260 Rem and 7mm RM) were worth the trouble and I find it interesting, some don't.

The WSM is a great cartridge but the 30 cal field is very full and more coming it seems, hard for one cartridge to stand out. Then there's the reliable 308, 70+ years old and boring but ammo available all over the world, probably #1 availability.

So sure, the WMS is great but unless you want to stock pile ammo or handload, the WM is an easy choice for hunting. If I were long range target minded, the WMS would get the nod.

Either way, the rifle you choose will be more interesting than the chambering.

sgowda

FNG
I bought another 300 Wsm in carbon fiber stock. Love it

Attachments

• IMG_7193.jpeg
    IMG_7193.jpeg
    460 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7191.jpeg
    IMG_7191.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7192.jpeg
    IMG_7192.jpeg
    425 KB · Views: 43

NSI

WKR
For a 16.5" 300 WSM, would you go 10 twist or 9.5? Shooting Barnes 175 LRX factory. For a suppressed brush gun setup.

-J