300 wsm or 7 prc

Cclon5

WKR
Hey, looking to do a custom build soon... any pointers on pros and cons of 300 wsm or 7 prc?
Thanks

jk_minn

FNG
I had this same question. Decided to go WSM in a long action. Hoping to have it in a week or so.

Ballistics are marginally close - run the numbers. Did the WSM to be different. Longer barrel life. Inherently accurate. Will be shooting Berger 215s. Can’t go wrong either way.

Happy building.

Reactions: NSI

Matt5266

WKR
No experience with the 7 but I love my 300 wsm. Shoots best groups of any rifle I own and it's all factory. It loves the 185 berger classic hunter.

Mattman215

Lil-Rokslider
One fits in a short action one fits in a long action. I would go short action all day over long action but I think the 7prc is a ballistically better bullet.

jimh406

WKR
In my area, 300 WSM is more available. 7 PRC has had some issues with factory loads lately and have been loaded very slowly. If you can find magnum primers, maybe that doesn’t matter.

.338 Nosler?
I like the 300 WSM given the 2 options.
I got a buddy has one it’s been a killer

OP
Cclon5

Cclon5

WKR
It's gonna be a main hunting rifle for everything in the northwest. I'd prefer it to be on the lighter side, and packable. Mountain packing, With the ability to make longer shots

Thanks for all the replies BTW

Mattman215

Lil-Rokslider
I would probably go with whatever cartridge seem the most avaible in your area. They are both great rounds.

grfox92

WKR
It's gonna be a main hunting rifle for everything in the northwest. I'd prefer it to be on the lighter side, and packable. Mountain packing, With the ability to make longer shots

You are going to hear this quite a bit on this forum and I'm not trying to steer you away from either cartridge. But, you can kill everything in north America with much less powder burnt and much less recoil.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Alessio

FNG

I just picked up a stainless laminate 300 WSM pistol grip Browning BLR. They have take down modles that might better suit your needs.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
They're both fantastic rounds.
If you handload they're both great, if not then I'd go 7 PRC.

If you do hand load and want to shoot heavy VLD boolets, I'd go with a 300 WSM throated long to get the bullet out of the powder column and a fast twist. This would make a great combo for 215 to 230 Bergers. Don't let the lower velocity scare you. Once you get those big boys rolling they're like a fright train going down hill.

As a bonus, Lapua makes 300 WSM brass and hopefully they will soon for the 7PRC.

Have you considered 6.5 PRC? In a lightweight rifle especially, it will be a better tool to kill everything in the lower 48. Short action, high BC bullets, less recoil, superb factory ammo, etc.