300 WSM or 300 PRC build ideas

Codyd336

FNG
Just starting a build for our Montana rifle hunt this year and am torn between building either a 300 wsm or a 300 prc. I currently own a 300 win mag but since I'm building new I'd like go with an updated cartridge. In a perfect world I could build both with the WSM being a shooter barrel, lighter option meant for closer shots and the PRC being for longer distance or if eventually targeting Moose/Grizzly. Would a 20" barrel be too short for the WSM? For the PRC I plan on running a 24" so would be nice to have them for different applications. Anyone with experience with the 300 wsm give me your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

No personal experience with a 300 WSM but built a 300 prc a few years ago.

Bartlein 26” #4 CF barrel
McMillan eh1 stock
Trigger tech diamond pro
Hawkings dbm bottom plate
Defiance antix action.
Ti pro break

It shoots. Just about a quarter moa with virgin brass. And I’m taking it to Alaska this year for moose.

Weighs right around 9.7 with NF ultralight 6 screw rings and a NX8 4-32 scope and three in the mag.

That being said, if you already have a long action it might serve you to build a short action first. I can tell you after I finished mine it took about a year and I started contemplating a short action. I just haven’t figured out what I want as far as caliber. My wife has a 7WSM that is a phenomenal gun. Just wish brass still existed. Hers was built by GA Precision and shoots in the very low teens consistently. Like .12-.13

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Codyd336

FNG

McMillan eh1 stock
Trigger tech diamond pro
Defiance antix action.
Ti pro break

It shoots. Just about a quarter moa with virgin brass. And I’m taking it to Alaska this year for moose.

Weighs right around 9.7 with NF ultralight 6 screw rings and a NX8 4-32 scope and three in the mag.

That being said, if you already have a long action it might serve you to build a short action first. I can tell you after I finished mine it took about a year and I started contemplating a short action. I just haven’t figured out what I want as far as caliber. My wife has a 7WSM that is a phenomenal gun. Just wish brass still existed. Hers was built by GA Precision and shoots in the very low teens consistently. Like .12-.13

Sent from my iPhone

McMillan eh1 stock
Trigger tech diamond pro
Defiance antix action.
Ti pro break

Since I live on the east coast a short action magnum build would get much more use. I do like the idea of being able to buy ammo off the shelf in case of a pinch and the 300 seemed to be the most common for wsm but due to the history makes me wonder how those rounds will do in the future.

For the PRC build

Manners Pro Hunter LA
Manners mini chasis
Hawkins Hunter bottom metal
Benchmark 24” CF barrel
Timney 510 trigger
Action undecided
Brake undecided

The bottom metal was free when I bought the stock from Altus, the Timney trigger I have laying around and I was told Benchmark was putting out the CF barrels right now.

I think you’re splitting hairs with these two/three options. They will all perform very well.

I haven’t found 300WSM in person on the shelf in a long time. 300 WM and 300 PRC is available in person on the shelf.

I have a 22” barrel 300WSM built on a REM 700 long action. It shoots great but it can have feeding issues depending on your build. I have it in an XLR chassis with accurate mags, the round tends to nose dive into the magazine.

Since I live on the east coast a short action magnum build would get much more use. I do like the idea of being able to buy ammo off the shelf in case of a pinch and the 300 seemed to be the most common for wsm but due to the history makes me wonder how those rounds will do in the future.

For the PRC build

Manners Pro Hunter LA
Manners mini chasis
Benchmark 24” CF barrel
Timney 510 trigger
Action undecided
Brake undecided

The bottom metal was free when I bought the stock from Altus, the Timney trigger I have laying around and I was told Benchmark was putting out the CF barrels right now.

Lots of good options in custom components. The defiance is an awesome action but don’t cerekote it. The tolerances are so tight that just a tiny bit of dust will cause it to stick. Mine is nitrided.

I can say that I’m impressed with that 5 port brake. My wife’s 7wsm is almost the same weight as my 300 prc. Within ounces. And hers has more recoil than mine. She is shooting 168 Berger’s compared to my 215’s and we are within 100 fps of each other. I think I’m at 70 grains of h1000 and I can’t remember what her loads are. I don’t think I’d want to shoot that 300 without the brake. lol

I may do a barrel swap on hers down the road and rechamber in 300 WSM (if it will work on her short action magnum bolt face) or 6.5 prc. Sucks bc the ballistics on the 7mm are stupid good. I’d go 7 saum but the brass ain’t easy to find for that either. So it will prolly be 6.5 prc.

You could always do a 300 WSM or 6.5 prc short barrel for 500/600 and closer and 7 PRC. Now you have three different calibers (you already have a 300) and have ranges covered easily out to 1000. The 7 mm is more than plenty for a moose. My wife is taking hers this September and given the opportunity she’s gonna go full send with those Berger’s. If he’s within 600-700 he’s toast!

OP
C

Codyd336

FNG
I think you’re splitting hairs with these two/three options. They will all perform very well.

I haven’t found 300WSM in person on the shelf in a long time. 300 WM and 300 PRC is available in person on the shelf.

I have a 22” barrel 300WSM built on a REM 700 long action. It shoots great but it can have feeding issues depending on your build. I have it in an XLR chassis with accurate mags, the round tends to nose dive into the magazine.
My current win mag is a sendero sfii and would get sold but ultimately I’m replacing it with a custom build. Thank you for the feedback on the wsm, even though I want to get into reloaded off the shelf would be nice.

My current win mag is a sendero sfii and would get sold but ultimately I’m replacing it with a custom build. Thank you for the feedback on the wsm, even though I want to get into reloaded off the shelf would be nice.

Off the shelf is why I went 300 prc

Sadler

WKR
Off the shelf then PRC. Heck, even if you reload the PRC would still be better when it comes to brass. I saw some 300 WSM at the local sportsman’s the other day and I can’t remember the last time I saw it on the shelf before that.

KenLee

WKR

For the PRC build

Manners Pro Hunter LA
Manners mini chasis
Benchmark 24” CF barrel
Timney 510 trigger
Action undecided
Brake undecided

300wsm isn't going anywhere. I run a 22 inch barrel on a light factory Browning. Tickled with it and the performance

KenLee

WKR
Off the shelf then PRC. Heck, even if you reload the PRC would still be better when it comes to brass. I saw some 300 WSM at the local sportsman’s the other day and I can’t remember the last time I saw it on the shelf before that.
It's everywhere online this year

OP
C

Codyd336

FNG
Lots of good options in custom components. The defiance is an awesome action but don’t cerekote it. The tolerances are so tight that just a tiny bit of dust will cause it to stick. Mine is nitrided.

I can say that I’m impressed with that 5 port brake. My wife’s 7wsm is almost the same weight as my 300 prc. Within ounces. And hers has more recoil than mine. She is shooting 168 Berger’s compared to my 215’s and we are within 100 fps of each other. I think I’m at 70 grains of h1000 and I can’t remember what her loads are. I don’t think I’d want to shoot that 300 without the brake. lol

I may do a barrel swap on hers down the road and rechamber in 300 WSM (if it will work on her short action magnum bolt face) or 6.5 prc. Sucks bc the ballistics on the 7mm are stupid good. I’d go 7 saum but the brass ain’t easy to find for that either. So it will prolly be 6.5 prc.

You could always do a 300 WSM or 6.5 prc short barrel for 500/600 and closer and 7 PRC. Now you have three different calibers (you already have a 300) and have ranges covered easily out to 1000. The 7 mm is more than plenty for a moose. My wife is taking hers this September and given the opportunity she’s gonna go full send with those Berger’s. If he’s within 600-700 he’s toast!

Yeah I’ve looked at the 7 PRC also and it seems to be the best PRC so far I’ve just always accustomed to a .308 round and bought a bunch of hornady for reloading.

I had someone recommend the defiance classic heavy. There’s a ton of options out there enough to make your head spin.
I use a 20" barrel 300 WSM, 208 gr ELDMs at around 2650-2700. I like it.
Ballistics wise it seems to be a great all around hunting rifle.
It's everywhere online this year
I noticed there were quite a few options. People tend to prefer the 200+ gr bullets do they just shoot better?

KenLee

WKR
Yeah I’ve looked at the 7 PRC also and it seems to be the best PRC so far I’ve just always accustomed to a .308 round and bought a bunch of hornady for reloading.

I had someone recommend the defiance classic heavy. There’s a ton of options out there enough to make your head spin.

I noticed there were quite a few options. People tend to prefer the 200+ gr bullets do they just shoot better?
I usually shoot 150 gr NBT. Wrecks stuff.
165 gr Hornady whitetail 300wsm is too cheap and works too good not to try it also

OP
C

Codyd336

FNG
Didn’t really think about that. If that’s the case, flip a co

I usually shoot 150 gr NBT. Wrecks stuff.
165 gr Hornady whitetail 300wsm is too cheap and works too good not to try it also
Yeah I envision it replacing my .308 20" barrell set up and being the ultimate all around hunting rig to be honest. I'm gonna stick with the PRC build for now but Im gonna be watching the 300 wsm hard.

KenLee

WKR
Yeah I envision it replacing my .308 20" barrell set up and being the ultimate all around hunting rig to be honest. I'm gonna stick with the PRC build for now but Im gonna be watching the 300 wsm hard.
I like my 20 inch barreled 308 and 7mm-08 BLRs also. Kill stuff on out there while you play cowboy!

200 plus grain in 30 cal tends to have higher BC’s and buck the wind better. Plus, they deliver some serious payload. lol

That being said, the 195 Berger’s for 7mm are legit.

c152ecd4fca00727ea886774ad47db0a.jpg

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
20” 300 wsm all the way but I’m a bit biased. You should be able to get a 200 gr bullet running at least 2850 fps MV. That’s > 2000 fps to 600 yards - what more?

With that said, if you have already have a 300 WM, why not build a 6.5 PRC? I don’t see appreciable difference between the 300 WM, WSM, and PRC.

Be conscious about what bullets you want to shoot out of your 300 prc. You can always shoot 230’s or even 245’s. However, depending on your bottom metal and mag length you may have to seat them deeper so you will not be able to get max powder load. Just means you will give up velocity. You may already know of this.

Same with the heavy 7mm.

I hear those 195’s are hammers out of a 7 Sherman or 338 necked down to a 7mm…

Bc who wouldn’t want to push 195 grains over 3400 fps??? The down side is you can kiss that barrel goodbye real quick and in a hurry.