300 WSM Future

H80Hunter

WKR
Is the 300 WSM a bad choice for someone who doesn’t hand load? Ammo availability seems horrible on ammoseek but I’m not sure if it’s just late to bounce back post pandemic crunch, or if it’s going away.

davsco

WKR
yeah it's weird, factory ammo variety and selection was up there with 300wm just a few years ago, now on ammoseek there are very, very, very few options for 300wsm. my ignorant guess is it will come back and perhaps production capacity is being used for the current hotties like 6.5 and 7 prc.

hiker270

WKR
Ammo manufacturers nowadays are definitely limiting production to the most popular calibers. Checking Ammo Seek and Gunbroker for 300 WSM ammo availability if I have a 300 WSM I think I would start handloading. Ammo Seek lists 4 offerings in 300 WSM and over 500 in 300 Win Mag. and over 500 in 30-06. That would get me on the reloading boat. There will be some custom ammo manufacturers like Choice Ammunition but the cost will be $100 a box.

jimh406

WKR
If you want to shoot a lot, then you'll probably be a reloader. Otherwise, just buy a few boxes when you see the load your gun likes. Not everything is on Ammoseek. I think the current lack of supply is seasonal.

slowelk

WKR

Ammo availability and price was a big factor in why I got rid of my .300 wsm. It seemed to get worse as we started to get out of the ”shortage”.

If you’re someone that only shoots a box or 2 a year of corelokt’s or PowerPoints then it’s probably fine for you. But if you want to shoot premium ammo more frequently then it’s tough to find, and justify the price (for me). Locally most places have 1 or 2 options of the “cheap” stuff but that is even $60-70 a box

OH_Tony

FNG
Don't strictly use ammo seek. I picked up 5 boxes of Norma Bondstrike from Scheel's a few weeks ago for $48/box and free shipping. They don't all show up on ammo seek but a little searching through google sometimes is worth while.

I shoot a 300 WSM so pay attention to the ammo. It seems to be cyclical with availability. Seems like in the fall before hunting season I could buy lots of options from various sources and now it's dried up a bit. I bet we see some more runs later in the year closer to hunting season.

When ammo went haywire 2 yrs ago everyone commented on how most calibers were out of stock but guys were still seeing plenty of 300 wsm boxes on the shelf. Caliber availability are still highly variable and while things are settling a bit, it’s still a tough market for ammo and components.

I’m strictly a reloader and had no issues stocking up on brass, bullets, and powder over the last few years. Although it’s been hit or miss and sometimes it’s luck and/or persistence.

The only thing I can’t find are CCI 250 LRM primers. Those are unicorn pellets. I’m down to my last 500 so the 300 wsm isn’t going to the range for plinking sessions. But I do like to shoot it. Just can’t go overboard with the range time until I can find a decent supply of primers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
I've said this before so my apologizes for being redundant but Winchester does a really piss poor job of supporting their cartridges. They need to attend a few Hornady seminars on how to properly market and support a cartridge because you can say what you want about Hornady but they do a pretty good job of not only marketing but also supporting their creations.

It's almost like Winchester see themselves as the creator but then expects the rest of the industry to support their cartridges but, IMO, why would others faithfully support something the creator doesn't even support. Just doesn't seem like a very good business model and it leaves the door wide open for someone to come along with something new that they do support.

t_carlson

WKR
It all depends on whether this is the "new normal" or not.

If it reverts back to the "old normal" you won't have any problem getting 300 WSM. Up until about Sandy Hook or so, the ammo companies were still turning out all kinds of obscure cartridges such as 350 Rem Mag., 284 Win., 300 H&H, 307 Win., etc. You had no real trouble finding ammo for those guns back then, and most stores stocked a few boxes of about everything still in production.

I hope someday we get back to that market, but the longer this goes on the more I'm worried it is here to stay.

I still don't think a 300 WSM is a bad choice. You just have to buy in bulk. I ordered 10 boxes of Norma Bondstrike a week or two back when someone posted on here that Scheels had it in stock. I had already tried a box through my rifle and knew it liked the ammo reasonably well. It got added to my stockpile of a case of 300 WSM Federal TLR ammo I grabbed a few years ago, and I'll break into the Norma when the Federal runs out.

By the time I shoot through the Norma stuff, I will have undoubtedly come across another factory load and bought in bulk. In other words, with proper planning there is nothing to worry about, but by the time you hand the rifle down to your grandkids, they might not be able to locate any. I have a closet full of old Remington pump actions in 30, 32 and 35 Remington, a 351 and 401 Winchester SL, and a few more. My grandfather gave them to me, but they stopped producing ammo for all of those except the 35 Rem DECADES ago. That is ok. I have zero desire to hunt with them anyway, as technology has advanced so much since then. Your grandchildren will likely feel the same and confine your [insert archetypal modern rifle] to the relic pile as well.

At one point, I almost gave up handloading because factory loads have gotten so accurate and consistent. If anything, this shortage has shown that handloading still has its place.

gerry35

WKR
The 300 WSM is really popular here in BC, especially in Tikka rifles but others too. Guys couldn't get ammo so some has to buy new guns. With the piles of 300 WSM rifles out there you can bet the ammo manufacturers will want to fill that need.

With the panic buying and also lots of new firearms owners they haven't been able to keep up in the last few years. I still believe it's the most sensible of the big 300's for most shooters.

Factory ammo has been available from time to time. Just get on the waiting lists so you get notifications and act quickly.

ldmay375

FNG
Is the 300 WSM a bad choice for someone who doesn’t hand load? Ammo availability seems horrible on ammoseek but I’m not sure if it’s just late to bounce back post pandemic crunch, or if it’s going away.
My uneducated guess is, if you can weather the storm of the present shortage, it shall return. Same applies to the 338 Winchester, it has also been vacant from the market place for awhile. Immediate sales demand takes front line over inventory.
The past few weeks, I am seeing quite a bit of factory ammo on shelves. Unlike when it never reached the shelves and was sold off the carts. For awhile 30-30 ammunition was not to be found, doubtful if that manufacturing will cease. The same for many cartridges which I sure locality has some bearing.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll say the exact opposite of all the other posts. I bought a .300 WSM a few months ago on a whim and it is an absolute tack driver. But I couldn’t find much ammo, and it’s just gotten worse. If you don’t already have one I wouldn’t even consider it. Mostly because you need ammo to practice, and what good is it to have a rifle that you can’t get ammo for and practice with? What do you if your rifle doesn’t like the only ammo you can find?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Tikka 300 WSM is an absolute hammer on elk and deer but it is punishing to practice with. Along with the lack of factory ammo and the cost of it when you do find it has me considering selling the rifle. I have about 30 rounds left so maybe one more hunt with it and that may be it.

davsco

WKR
My Tikka 300 WSM is an absolute hammer on elk and deer but it is punishing to practice with. Along with the lack of factory ammo and the cost of it when you do find it has me considering selling the rifle. I have about 30 rounds left so maybe one more hunt with it and that may be it.
thread it (1/2x28) and throw a brake on it (i have area419 hellfire), makes a huge difference.

i know there is little to no ammo out there now, but which rounds worked best for you on elk?

I am trying to stay away from a brake just due to the loudness of it. If I do anything to it, I would put a suppressor on it but I am hesitant to spend the money on a rifle that I may not be able to get more ammo for. I have used the Nosler 180 grain Accubond on both deer and elk. All one shot kills. Unfortunately, it is almost $100 per box.