300 win mag

300wm T3x ultra lite in a grayboe phoenix, mountain tactical trigger spring and a NF optic is about as good of a hunting rifle as I could imagine. Shoots 180gr swift scirocco IIs very well.

I'm partial to an old Steyr I've had for right around 24 years or so. It's topped with a Zeiss Diavari. Now that big 56 scope isn't for lugging through mountains, but that combo has been very deadly. 400 isn't anything to sneeze at with the wind blowing, find something you like to shoot a lot. If you have to step down in cartridge a little, do it. That 300 isn't a be all end all, it takes placement and placement takes practice or lots of money on ballistic goodies for your holdover and windage. I started with a 300 years ago because ... let's just say it was put in my hands. It's been a good combo for me and I know what it can do (for me). Lots of rounds, lots of time. Now whatever you get --------- make sure it has a trigger you geehaw with or put one in it. It isn't just breaking at "1.5 lbs." or "little creep" or "crisp", it is about the trigger and your finger meshing. It's like picking the right woman, sometimes the right one comes along straightaway, others it takes a whole bunch, but when its right, wooooweee, it's better than music or any liquor. You just touch it and it lights a fire that can't ever be extinguished, its just ..... I'm going to go wake the wife up or break that gun out if I keep typing.

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to stop a fellas from buying another gun but, I would spend about half that get some reloading gear and load up some hammers...you can find what you need used maybe save even more...
This is what I’d do as well. He already has a 300 short mag. Reload and fine tune it. Buying a different rifle may end up in the same spot with a rifle that doesn’t shot coppers well.