300 win mag

Rio

FNG
I am going to buy a 300 win mag. Live in California but hunt in other states also. Need a gun to accurately shoot to 400 yards max. Has to be able to shoot copper bullets. I have a 300 browning short win mag that I cannot find a copper bullet it can shoot. More ammo available for win mag. Price 2,000 or less. Thanks in advance for gun recommendations.

SDHNTR

WKR
FYI, you do not need a .300 win mag to shoot 400 yards. You’ll find you’ll shoot something less much more accurately, and will probably find more ammo choices too.

With copper you will want speed tho. I’d suggest shopping a 6.5 prc. Every company makes that rifle and ammo choices abound.

OP
R

Rio

FNG
FYI, you do not need a .300 win mag to shoot 400 yards. You’ll find you’ll shoot something less much more accurately, and will probably find more ammo choices too.

With copper you will want speed tho. I’d suggest shopping a 6.5 prc. Every company makes that rifle and ammo choices abound.
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor, and 308. Looking for a hog and elk gun that packs a wallop. I’m getting too old to be tracking game

I had a Browning hells canyon long range 300 WM with the 1/8 twist. It shot the 215 or 230 bergers very well. I sold it and put together a Tikka semi custom 7PRC. Shooting it suppressed is much more enjoyable then shooting the WM was.

Basic stainless Tikka lite is what I would do.

I would Get in line for a rokstok or get a manners eh1tk, maybe a krg echo is another possible option.

gbflyer

WKR
Recoil is substantial with a stock Tikka T3X in 300 Win Mag. May or may not be important for you. Excellent firearm however.

hiker270

WKR
Tikka Roughtech comes in Ember ,Black or Tan color stocks.. I have a Tan in 300WM and it shoots Barnes 180 TTSX @ .5 MOA

Not trying to stop a fellas from buying another gun but, I would spend about half that get some reloading gear and load up some hammers...you can find what you need used maybe save even more...

SDHNTR

WKR
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor, and 308. Looking for a hog and elk gun that packs a wallop. I’m getting too old to be tracking game
Either one of those will do all that is ever needed. Killing cleanly is a matter of shot placement and using the right bullet. It has little to do with cartridge choice, especially when we’re talking about capable cartridges like .308 and 6.5 creed. “packing a whallop” is largely irrelevant.

Tikka T3X shooting Barnes 180gr TTSX. Whallops animals and shoulders. Suggest a recoil pad and brake. Then your ears will take some of the abuse your shoulder was getting.

slm9s

FNG
+1 for learning to reload. The 300wsm is one of the most accurate cartridges there is.