300 Win Mag to 300 PRC

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
I currently own a Christensen Arms Traverse chambered in 300 Win Mag. I own two and I’ve been wanting to build a 300 prc for a while now so I figured I would use this rifle as my footprint. Where I’m concerned is the bottom metal. I want to keep it an internal magazine if I can with as few modifications as possible. If I need to change to a DBM I will just would prefer not to. I’m just looking for ideas or if any of you have done this. Thanks!

Last edited:

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
They both use a long action, magnum bolt face. Christensen uses a Rem 700 clone action. There is no difference in mag length.

I know exactly what you're getting at. I've used 3.715 AICS on a couple Tikka's to gain more COAL. They feed great and certainly get the job done as far as yielding more COAL, but I'm not the biggest fan of them on a rifle that's going to get carried frequently. As such, I find myself using rigs that have flush or minimally protruding mags more frequently for hunting

Last edited:
Just reacquainted myself with the PRC specs. You should be able to run them out of a 700 without too much trouble.

OP
TuckTruck

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
So I was able to get my hands on some prc ammo today. Lengthwise, they fit in the factory box. It seems to feed okay when I have one and two rounds in the mag, but when I have three rounds loaded, the case is binding on the lips/rails of the box. I can hold the rounds down to close the action without feeding one so it’s not like the box is too high or too “full”. It seems like the fix would be to bend or file the rail/lip it’s binding on. Is that a bad idea or even possible?

Why change to the prc at all 300 win mag does everything it does. I’m shooting 212 eldx @ 3000 fps out of a 26” barrel 300 wm with lapua brass and retumbo. Just wondering why you would switch over to prc not slamming your choice just curious?

OP
TuckTruck

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
Why change to the prc at all 300 win mag does everything it does. I’m shooting 212 eldx @ 3000 fps out of a 26” barrel 300 wm with lapua brass and retumbo. Just wondering why you would switch over to prc not slamming your choice just curious?
While I do agree they are similar and I love 300 wm, I own several and want to try something new. I also haven’t made the investment into reloading yet so I’m stuck with factory ammo, which, in 300 wm has been very difficult to find in my area, where almost every sport shop around me has backstock of prc ammo.

bsnedeker

WKR
While I do agree they are similar and I love 300 wm, I own several and want to try something new. I also haven’t made the investment into reloading yet so I’m stuck with factory ammo, which, in 300 wm has been very difficult to find in my area, where almost every sport shop around me has backstock of prc ammo.
I want to do the same thing to my tikka 300WM for the exact same reasons whenever my barrel burns out in the next couple of years!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

akwchil

FNG
Old Post, but I was curious what twist rate is your barrel? and do you have the extended magazine for the longer 212 eld-x bullets?

1:10 and I was at .085 jump limited in the aics mag 3.525 was col if I remember right the max mag length was 3.570

OP
TuckTruck

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
A little update, better late than never…

I ended up ordering a blank from carbon 6 and had it chambered in 300 prc. I went with a Wyatt’s extended box and a Hawkins oberndorf bottom metal. I had to massage the underside of my action a bit to fit the box but other than that, it went together well. I finished the project about a year ago, and the thing shoots lights out.