300 PRC for Moose what bullets do you reccomend?

AkRyan

WKR
This is the important point. By far the majority of moose I've shot or witnessed shot were killed with off hand shots. The rest were either from a kneeling position or leaned against a bush/tree/snowmachine. There is the odd circumstance or location where prone would work, but it's relatively rare. My sister bagged one from off her pack a few years ago, but that hasn't happened to me yet.

Moose is often more like hunting (extremely large) rabbits than anything. They guys I've hunted with that were consistently successful are able to thread bullets through trees and brush with no hesitation. Those that tend to be caught short messing with gear and setting up for a shot have been much less likely to put meat on the pole.

Putting shots on target trumps bullet style 10 out of 10 times.
Very very valid points! All of my moose have been shot standing off hand other than one that was off my brother's shoulder. Out in the open country you can call them in and be setup waiting alot of the times though.

mcseal2

WKR
I've only hunted moose once, but my buddy and I had good luck with the Nosler 180 grain E tip from our 300 win mags. I got my moose at about 300 yards, he took his at 500.

I've also had good results with that bullet on whitetail, blacktail, muleys, caribou, and elk. I planned on going back to the Accubond after the moose hunt. Dean (guy I usually hunt with) and my rifles both really like that E tip load though. Being able to share ammo kept me from switching back, and it's worked well enough I have never seen a reason to change.

I once took one bullet each from 4 different boxes with different lot numbers and shot a nice group at 600 yards. I think about 4" if I remember right. It made me like the Nosler ammo even more.

mcseal2

WKR
On another note, I like to build a tripod to shoot from out of brush while setting up camp in Alaska. Especially for moose it can be handy to have one ready to go if one wanders near camp. I have not killed anything from the ones I built so far, but have had opportunities at smaller moose or caribou where it could have been used.

The tripod does end up being handy for other things, like moving around to sunny spots with a breeze for drying clothes when the weather cooperates. It always gets used.

gfh363

FNG
Just finished breaking in a new 300 PRC . Had fun watching my son bang steel at 1200.. Been shooting factory Hdy 225M's for break in and to get some brass. Don't know that there is a great advantage but it is fun to be shooting something different!

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
I get your hesitation with the ELDX. They often do not perform well. Even recently had poor performance from one. The good thing is - even if they dont perform as designed, they typically still do well. Lots of room for error. I use ELDM a lot for hunting purposes.

Big fan of the 200 Accubond.

My 300RUM has taken 3 big bulls shooting 200AB and performance has been stellar.

Lotsa good bullets out there though.

PA Hunter

WKR
Big fan of the 200 Accubond.

My 300RUM has taken 3 big bulls shooting 200AB and performance has been stellar.

Lotsa good bullets out there though.
Yup i handload 200 gr Accubonds in 5 different 300 RUMs, i got 5 moose all pass through and together my group has about 15-20 moose with them and some huge bears. Solid weight retention.

My wife dumped her moose with a .260 at 200 yards with 140 grain trophy bonded bear claws. You’ll be just fine with anything out of the 300 prc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shot a moose last year with 300 prc And 225 ELD-M at 285 yards.
first shot was broad Side in vitals but it was still standing so he got a couple more really quick.
No pass throughs, I recovered some bullet fragments in the offside hide, decent internal damage.
225 eldm‘s did the trick on the moose and a black bear on that trip 🤷‍♂️

Can't say I've shot a moose with it but my 300prc has performed great with 220 eldx handloads. range confirmed out to 1000 yards consistently and also put elk in the freezer at over 400 yards in VERY windy conditions. Broke both shoulders and was stuck in the hide on the far side.

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Moose are not terribly difficult to kill. I have used many different platforms & bullets with success. Shoot what you are comfortable hunting with for the expected range your area calls for. Like grandma always said “ moose huntin ain’t fancy “