300 PRC for Moose what bullets do you reccomend?

IDShane

WKR
I am hunting Moose in Alaska in 2023 and plan to use my 300 PRC for the hunt. I have been told by some of my long range reloading friends that I might want to try something other than my Hornaday ELDX bullets for this hunt. Do any of you have any suggestions or something that you may have used for larger game. Thanks in advance.
Shane

axeforce6

WKR
210 nosler ABLR. Or federal has a 215 terminal ascent coming. I’d hunt that down.

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
Barnes LRX 208gr. Or federal is supposed to be releasing a 215 gr terminal ascent bullet but who knows when that’ll happen…

carter33

WKR
With a 300PRC I doubt you can really go wrong, the eldx I think can underperform in smaller calibers but if you’re shooting 200grains+ it’ll do great on moose even at close range. This last May I saw a 220eldx out of the 300PRC go full length through a bear with a large exit hole at 75yards.

***Edit full length through a 9’ brown bear broadside, not front to back.

No one enjoys doing it, including myself, but perfect world you could have two loads. A mono for 300-400 in and out farther have an eldx or berger type bullet.

WRO

WKR
I killed my moose at 667 with my 300 Norma with a 225 ELDM, I’ve killed several elk between 200 and 700 with them with 0 complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have taken 7 big game animals with mine in 225 ELDM, would not hesitate to use it for a Moose, in fact that's my gun of choice for the Moose hunt I have planned in '24.

roymunson

WKR
i have a buddy who killed his moose, grizzly, black bear, and caribou all with Berger 210s I believe.

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
I think you are over thinking this. a good bounded bullet that shoots accurately out of your rifle will do the job. My 7 saum i shoot a 160 grain accubond (its a tight group my rifle likes) and my moose last year took 5 seconds to flip over backwards at three hundred yards. I still believe in bullet placement. I was given good advice for moose, aim back a bit off the front shoulder so you dont destroy the shoulder. I did and we didnt have any blood shot meet. Accuracy.

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
I used a hand loaded 199gr Hammer Hunter out of my 300 win mag this fall on a bull moose. 550 yard shot and he died within about 30 yards.

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
i wouldn't use an ELDX or ELDM, their fragment type bullets so if you hit bone on impact it's not gonna be good. me/buddy both used 200 accubonds out of my 300 and couldn't have done any better. I'd use accubond, partition, or any of the solid copper bullets like barnes TTSX. In my opinion i prefer the accubond or partition over the solid coppers as in my experience they tend to dump more energy inside the animal, just my .02

Clark33

WKR
i wouldn't use an ELDX or ELDM, their fragment type bullets so if you hit bone on impact it's not gonna be good. me/buddy both used 200 accubonds out of my 300 and couldn't have done any better. I'd use accubond, partition, or any of the solid copper bullets like barnes TTSX. In my opinion i prefer the accubond or partition over the solid coppers as in my experience they tend to dump more energy inside the animal, just my

Are you speaking from personal experience or just basing that off what you’ve read? The ELDM’s I’ve used on game have work extremely well from 70 to 630 yds.

I've shot and seen shot multiple moose with the 200 gr ELDX. Including this years. I haven't tried the 212, but it should be more of the same.

It will make a mess as ELD-X's are generally prone to do, but penetrate just fine. The extra sectional density sufficiently makes up for the aggressive expansion. I've recovered 3-4 jackets under the hide on the off-side of shoulders, and the rest got full penetration. And yes, I've tried raking shots, shots on bone etc. In fact, I've broken at least three moose shoulders with that bullet, both near and off-side.

I've never recovered a perfectly mushroomed bullet. Lots of lead chunks and shredded copper. It's always gotten through at any angle I've cared to try though, so I don't worry about it.

Dedicated long range guns may not be best for moose for other reasons, but if that is the bullet you have, it's not a handicap.

Yk

mabrams

FNG
They will work just fine. I shot a bull this year with a 300WM and used the 200gr ELDX and while it was a great shot, I ended up placing a second one in it just to be sure. Good luck and just practice all shooting positions. In Northern BC there was no getting prone due to the think cover. I would take shooting sticks like a bog pod, hog saddle or something similar. Even the Primos ones are better then nothing.

Good luck and just practice all shooting positions. In Northern BC there was no getting prone due to the thick cover.

This is the important point. By far the majority of moose I've shot or witnessed shot were killed with off hand shots. The rest were either from a kneeling position or leaned against a bush/tree/snowmachine. There is the odd circumstance or location where prone would work, but it's relatively rare. My sister bagged one from off her pack a few years ago, but that hasn't happened to me yet.

Moose is often more like hunting (extremely large) rabbits than anything. They guys I've hunted with that were consistently successful are able to thread bullets through trees and brush with no hesitation. Those that tend to be caught short messing with gear and setting up for a shot have been much less likely to put meat on the pole.

Putting shots on target trumps bullet style 10 out of 10 times.