Browning X-Bolt 2 Speed, 7 PRC Field Evaluation

I’d be curious if you experience any inconsistency with the Hornady ELDX. Federal seems to be performing better for other 7PRC folks as far as velocity and average deviations.

Still have an xbolt and a sx3 with duratouch that have been used pretty heavily and haven’t gummed up.. lucky?

The xbolts have always run good and been hard to bind imo. Wonder if the new ones are notably better still?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The xbolts have always run good and been hard to bind imo. Wonder if the new ones are notably better still?

X-Bolts were good to begin with. However, they added a “knob” or bump to remove what little binding there was- really good now.

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
I have several a bolts and x bolts. All have worked well. I’ll admit, I am a browning fan and wish that they would make a 223 in the x bolt 2 spr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manitou1

WKR
How do the triggers on these handle dust and ice?
I have had five X-bolts and five browning shotguns that have been hunted hard... some in rain, sleet, snow.
Lots of sand and dust with my X-bolts here in WY.
Never had a trigger issue... ever.
First I have heard of it.

SouthPaw

WKR
It seems to already be far better than my A-bolt, but we will see given time and lots of use. I've had so many issues with that rifle, it's hard to even look at a Browning.

TxLite

WKR
Really glad to see another manufacturer sending out a rifle for real world testing. I hope it continues to do well because I think browning makes a great looking rifle with a decent feature set.

My one hangup is that this would’ve been the perfect opportunity to push their 6.8W and they chose 7prc? I know this is a rifle evaluation and not a cartridge evaluation, but it makes it seem as though they’ve already given up on their own cartridge?

Darryle

WKR
@Formidilosus can you snap some pictures of the bottom of the action when it's apart? Specifically the feed rails, curious if they are following the trend they started with their target models to be truly center feed.

IMG_3817.jpeg

That little teflon "bump" was added to the X-Bolt a few years ago, some of mine have it some don't, even in the same caliber.

Best picture of the X-Bolt teflon guide I could find on the www
IMG_3818.png

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus can you snap some pictures of the bottom of the action when it's apart? Specifically the feed rails, curious if they are following the trend they started with their target models to be truly center feed.

This is the best one I have of the feed rails when it was apart yesterday.
IMG_8413.jpeg

IMG_8410.jpeg

IMG_8411.jpeg

IMG_8412.jpeg

IMG_8409.jpeg

Darryle

WKR
Looks like the original design carried over. I noticed that the magazine patent listed for the X-Bolt 2 is the same as the original.

Browning is heading into Savage territory with all these variations.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What's the orange, pink stuff (it's purpose)? Got a feeling I'm about to learn something.

Which/where? It’s used a me a thread locker and for witness marks. I also put it under scope bases for a bit of adhesive.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Which/where? It’s used a me a thread locker and for witness marks. I also put it under scope bases for a bit of adhesive.
Is it just a paint pen? Or some other type of thread locker in a pen? I'm curious cuz loctite is a pain to clean off threads if you do have to take something apart.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Is it just a paint pen? Or some other type of thread locker in a pen? I'm curious cuz loctite is a pain to clean off threads if you do have to take something apart.

Paint pen or nail polish. When taken apart, just wipe down with alcohol or brake cleaner and reapply. No need to completely remove all the old.