300 PRC ammo buy now?

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Hello members. I have a 300 PRC coming soon and plan to run the Hornady 212 grain ELDX out of it. I have a few boxes tucked away but wondering what you think the future holds for availability and pricing on that round specifically. Short question-should I buy up as much as I can afford now or not sweat it in hopes availability increases and prices drop.

Also, it’s too late for me to change caliber to a more readily available round and I do not want to go down the road of hand loads-I’ve used those in the past but since I have no intention on learning that skill I’d rather buy off the non-existent shelf LOL

Thank you.

Buy it when you can. Prices are not going to come down to days of old. Also, your rifle might not like the 212 eldx so I would pick up some 225 eldm as well. ELD-M bullets have killed tons of animals effectively. I watched a cow elk die last year at 505 yards from a 162gr eldm. She was dead within 40 yards and that was mainly because her energy carried her downhill.

Seeknelk

WKR
Wait untill you at least try it. Your rifle may hate it. Chances are it shoots it well tho.

Reactions: WCB

gtriple

WKR
I may be the minority, but I disagree. 300 PRC will continue to be loaded by Hornady due to their DOD contract. There's plenty available on gunbroker or ammoseek.com for about the same price as it has been for a couple years.

Unless you are killing dozens of animals every year, I'd keep about 40rds of whatever your rifle likes when hunting season starts and call it a day. I've had a 300 PRC for about 3 years now and have never worried about finding ammo. It's not like it's a caliber you are going to shoot 1000rds a year for practice at $5/rd. Practice with something cheaper.

rjw4

FNG
Where are you located? Hornady's are on the shelves in quite a few Fleet Farm stores throughout Wisconsin

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting a .300 PRC soon as well and was thinking the same thing. Here in the central MN the ELD-X seems to be on a lot of shelves in 300 PRC, 7mm and 6.5 creedmore. Most places have a few box limit but they are certainly available (between 52.99-59.99/box).

CorbLand

WKR
I'm getting a .300 PRC soon as well and was thinking the same thing. Here in the central MN the ELD-X seems to be on a lot of shelves in 300 PRC, 7mm and 6.5 creedmore. Most places have a few box limit but they are certainly available (between 52.99-59.99/box).
I haven’t seen 300 PRC, 6.5 PRC or 7 mag from Hornady in months here.

fatbacks

WKR
I’ve been able to get Hornady 300 PRC consistently over the past two years. Have a bunch of components to load for it but the factory stuff shoots so well I haven’t really bothered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigwilly556

Lil-Rokslider
Buy as much as you can afford now. It's a great cartridge. Check mile high shooting as they usually have some in stock. Eld Ms are less expensive and can be used for practice then sell the brass here to recoup some funds.