300 Blackout vs 6.5 Grendel

I’m considering a new gun for whitetail hunting and drives in Wisconsin. I have a long-range stand hunting Bergara, but want something 100 and in mostly that is more mobile of a setup. I’m currently considering a 300 blackout with a 9” barrel or a 6.5 Grendel in the 12.5” - 16” barrel length. I will be shooting these suppressed and in an AR platform. For the 300 blackout id be shooting supersonic ammo.

Any insight on these would be greatly appreciated, and recommendations are welcome. Ideally looking to be in the $1000-$1500 range. I’ve only really done research on the 300 blackout build and I’d likely be looking at an AERO.

6.5 grendel has a handful of decent deer bullets with enough energy to 300 yards. The 300 blackout is a cool round especially suppressed, but for hunting purposes the bullet selection is limited and the energy falls off rather quickly. Under 200 yards either one will take a Wisconsin whitetail with no problem, I just feel the grendel offers a little more versatility.

I'd also recommend the grendel. 300BO will get it done short range for sure. But if I was putting something together with deer being it's main purpose 6.5 grendel is a better round IMO.

OP
P
6.5 grendel has a handful of decent deer bullets with enough energy to 300 yards. The 300 blackout is a cool round especially suppressed, but for hunting purposes the bullet selection is limited and the energy falls off rather quickly. Under 200 yards either one will take a Wisconsin whitetail with no problem, I just feel the grendel offers a little more versatility.
Ya, I like the idea of a 300 BO but probably not best for my application. Part of my hesitation was wondering if the shorter barrel made a big difference for optimization.

OP
P
Of the two, Grendel. Realistically a 12.5" 5.56 is more practical and kills fine. I'd do a 6 ARC if for some reason you couldn't use 224 bullets.
For whitetail, I just feel a little better with the 6.5 vs 5.56. I know it can be done, just more of a preference if practical. I have a 6” can, so should function closer to a 18” barrel unless I do just go 16” and not mess with the tax stamp or pistol.

Would you have any recommendations on 6.5 manufacturer? Anything you’ve had good luck with?
I have a Franken AR that I put together . Aero precision upper ,12.5” ballistic advantage barrel that shoots wolf 1.5 moa and federal just under an inch . Grendel’s can be finicky with mags so you may have to do some tweaking . Get a good adj gas block .

Attachments

• Snapseed.jpeg
    Snapseed.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 13
OP
P
I have a Franken AR that I put together . Aero precision upper ,12.5” ballistic advantage barrel that shoots wolf 1.5 moa and federal just under an inch . Grendel’s can be finicky with mags so you may have to do some tweaking . Get a good adj gas block .
Nice, I was leaning Aero upper. Not sure if you considered it, but given the 12.5” barrel, any thought to going 6.8 instead?

For whitetail, I just feel a little better with the 6.5 vs 5.56. I know it can be done, just more of a preference if practical. I have a 6” can, so should function closer to a 18” barrel unless I do just go 16” and not mess with the tax stamp or pistol.
I’ve kill some with my 11.5” 5.56 and had no issues. I personally think the 6 ARC is a better round that 6.5 Grendel and that the market will favor the 6 in the coming years strongly.

OP
P
6.8 works great too , several of my buddies use it . I got 6.5 cause the ammo was cheaper and bought several cases of wolf
Makes sense. Now that I’m down the rabbit hole, I’m considering the 6.8 because of barrel length. Cant imagine it’s a cheap cartridge, but I don’t shoot a ton (although I’d like to).

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomM