300 Blackout vs 6.5 Grendel

OP
P
If you go with the Grendel, I would suggest buying the Grendel specific magazines versus the standard pmags. If I recall, the follower is slightly different on the Grendel mags.
I read that as well. That would be my route but great callout.

OP
P
If you go with the Grendel, I would suggest buying the Grendel specific magazines versus the standard pmags. If I recall, the follower is slightly different on the Grendel mags.
I read that as well. That would be my route but great
I’ve kill some with my 11.5” 5.56 and had no issues. I personally think the 6 ARC is a better round that 6.5 Grendel and that the market will favor the 6 in the coming years strongly.
looking at the 6.8 SPC as well. Any insight into how that would fit into the mix vs the ARC? I haven’t looked at the ARC yet, but is for sure on the list.

Thegman

WKR
You said you want something for "100 and in". 300 BLK, -especially- if you handload, can crush that. 110 or 120 Barnes, 110 VMax/Varmegeddon, 125 BT, the list goes on.

Not saying the Grendel is a bad choice, but the 300 Blk will do what you're asking it to do.

Presswood_936

Lil-Rokslider
Makes sense. Now that I’m down the rabbit hole, I’m considering the 6.8 because of barrel length. Cant imagine it’s a cheap cartridge, but I don’t shoot a ton (although I’d like to).
Yeah if I was only deer hunting with it I would’ve looked at 6.8 a lot harder

OP
P
You said you want something for "100 and in". 300 BLK, -especially- if you handload, can crush that. 110 or 120 Barnes, 110 VMax/Varmegeddon, 125 BT, the list goes on.

Not saying the Grendel is a bad choice, but the 300 Blk will do what you're asking it to do.
Ya, it’s not that I couldn’t use it. I think I’d be completely content with a .300 blackout. Just not sure it’s the most practical for hunting in general. More of a “it could do the job.”

I read that as well. That would be my route but great

looking at the 6.8 SPC as well. Any insight into how that would fit into the mix vs the ARC? I haven’t looked at the ARC yet, but is for sure on the list.
They’re all more similar than different when comparing the same bullet types, I would be shocked if anyone could tell the difference between 5.56, 6, 6.5, and 6.8 wounds. From my perspective if you absolutely won’t choose 224/5.56, then the 6 ARC gives you all the great 6mm bullets at good velocities. The 6.5 grendel has decent bullets at a low velocity, and the 6.8 has limited bullet selection at a good velocity.

waspocrew

WKR
They’re all more similar than different when comparing the same bullet types, I would be shocked if anyone could tell the difference between 5.56, 6, 6.5, and 6.8 wounds. From my perspective if you absolutely won’t choose 224/5.56, then the 6 ARC gives you all the great 6mm bullets at good velocities. The 6.5 grendel has decent bullets at a low velocity, and the 6.8 has limited bullet selection at a good velocity.

Agreed - 6.8 is probably the most limited in terms of projectile options. I have a 6 ARC and have been pretty happy with it. Also have a 300 BLK and for 100 and in, would absolutely go with that. A 110 or 120 Barnes is tough to beat.

Agreed - 6.8 is probably the most limited in terms of projectile options. I have a 6 ARC and have been pretty happy with it. Also have a 300 BLK and for 100 and in, would absolutely go with that. A 110 or 120 Barnes is tough to beat.
I have a 300 as well and have killed several deer with it. It’s really low on my list to use now, I’ve never been impressed with the wounds especially after using some proper 5.56 rounds in comparison. Personally I think the 110 & 120 Barnes are overhyped, they’re just a low velocity mono. Given the choice I would always choose something fragmenting if I can get the velocity.

SloppyJ

WKR
Do yourself a favor and look at a SBR 6arc. I'd take that over both due to bullet selection and recoil.

I've tried making a 300BO work for deer and I've yet to find a bullet that I feel is adequate. The grendel will work but the 6 or even 22arc would be better IMO.

OP
P
Ya I think the 6 ARC is the route I’m going. After way too many hours of searching, I think this fits the need perfectly.

OP
P
Do you mind me asking what your 6 ARC build is?

OP
P
Do yourself a favor and look at a SBR 6arc. I'd take that over both due to bullet selection and recoil.

I've tried making a 300BO work for deer and I've yet to find a bullet that I feel is adequate. The grendel will work but the 6 or even 22arc would be better IMO.
That’s where I’m at now. Knowing the optimal length barrel is 18”, I’m tempted to just go longer. Not my initial thought, but wouldn’t be bad to be lethal closer to 300 I guess.

waspocrew

WKR
Do you mind me asking what your 6 ARC build is?

Upper:
  • Wilde Arms builder set (upper/lower receiver and 15” handguard)
  • Proof research CF 18” barrel with rifle +1 length gas
  • Rifle speed adjustable gas block RS7521
  • Rifle + 1 gas tube from Rifle speed
  • Strike industries dust cover
  • Aero precision 6.5 Grendel type 2 bolt and BCG
  • Aero Precision Breach Ambi charging handle

Lower:
  • Wilde arms matched lower
  • Strike industries enhanced bolt catch
  • V Seven 57/90 Ambi safety selector
  • CMMG Zeroed extended Ambi mag release
  • Triggertech Diamond single stage flat shoe
  • Strike industries extended pivot and take down pin
  • Armaspec stainless steel takedown/pivot spring and detents
  • Spikes tactical lightweight castle nut
  • Impact weapons qd end plate
  • Magpul K2 + grip
  • Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock
  • Aero enhanced buffer tube
  • JP enterprise Silent Capture spring (H2 buffer)
IMG_2376.jpegIMG_3184.jpegIMG_3185.jpeg

OP
P
Upper:
  • Wilde Arms builder set (upper/lower receiver and 15” handguard)
  • Proof research CF 18” barrel with rifle +1 length gas
  • Rifle speed adjustable gas block RS7521
  • Rifle + 1 gas tube from Rifle speed
  • Strike industries dust cover
  • Aero precision 6.5 Grendel type 2 bolt and BCG
  • Aero Precision Breach Ambi charging handle

Lower:
  • Wilde arms matched lower
  • Strike industries enhanced bolt catch
  • V Seven 57/90 Ambi safety selector
  • CMMG Zeroed extended Ambi mag release
  • Triggertech Diamond single stage flat shoe
  • Strike industries extended pivot and take down pin
  • Armaspec stainless steel takedown/pivot spring and detents
  • Spikes tactical lightweight castle nut
  • Impact weapons qd end plate
  • Magpul K2 + grip
  • Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock
  • Aero enhanced buffer tube
  • JP enterprise Silent Capture spring (H2 buffer)
View attachment 733341View attachment 733339View attachment 733340
That’s an awesome setup. I’m leaning toward the AERO upper and lower currently. Anything you’d replace now that you’ve had it?

SloppyJ

WKR
First, the ideal barrel length is subjective in 6arc. I dove down this rabbit hole and I ended up between 16 and 14.5". With a 14.5" barrel and a 108eldm, you're right around 1900fps at 400yds. So probably more than enough for your needs. Plenty of videos of guys doing long range 6arc stuff with a 14.5" barrel. Of course you're in SBR territory so add $200 for a tax stamp. Plenty of guys running a 12" barrel too. You could use a brace on it to not buy a stamp but for that rifle you'll want one of the precision stocks.

Secondly, if you're looking for a turnkey package, the seekins rifle is the play. Great parts and it might be cheaper than piecing it together yourself. I wanted a proof barrel or something a little nicer so I was planning on piecing something together. The ONLY hesitation on it is the 8 twist barrel but plenty of reports saying that it works great.

Look for a thermal fit upper and use some retaining compound on the barrel to make sure it's seated good. I wanted something where the barrel was completely free floated so I was looking at the Seekins IRMT upper. If you want a cheap, quality upper, hard to beat one of the BCM blems. Bcm is a thermal fit, the seekins is not. This is just my personal preference.

Don't look for a crazy deal on your barrel. Pay up for a nice one from someone who has a good following. The gas system on 6arcs is very important and you want as long as you can go.

I still want one but gas guns have never blown my skirt up. I much prefer a bolt so I built a semi custom 6creed on an origin action. I'm hoping it will scratch the itch for me but I'm not so sure.

Another route is to pick up the Howa Mini in 6arc. I'd recommend snagging the barreled action from brownells and then orfering yourself the stock you want. You will eek out a bit more velocity with the bolt gun to extend your range even further and those Howas are lighter than any gas gun on the market. It's not unheard of to have a scoped 6lb rifle when it's said and done. Stockys makes stocks for them. You could probably build this one cheaper than the seekins. You might want to get the barrel chopped down though so there is some additional expense.

SloppyJ

WKR
What have you tried? Thinking of shooting 110 vmax in my sbr but not totally sold on it yet
That's exactly what I tried. With a case full of lil-gun and a 9" barrel. The velocity should have been there. I didn't have a chrono at the time so I never verified. This is what my son shot his first deer with last year. It worked, but I didn't like it. We had a pass through and the exit was marginally bigger than the entrance. I'm looking for a good sized hole blown out on the exit.

The only bullet that I'd be willing to try again is the Barnes 110 tac-tx. I could not locate any of these locally and I didn't have time to wait last year.

I've retired that project and bought him a T3X compact in .223 for his birthday here in a couple months. I doubt I'll revisit it. That 300 is my designated truck gun now. She tucks up nice and fits perfectly under the back seat with 20rds on tap and a suppressor tucked under the handguard.

If I were you, since we have a little time, order a box of the tac-tx and see what you can work up. I believe it comes in loaded ammo too but it sounds like you reload.

OP
P
First, the ideal barrel length is subjective in 6arc. I dove down this rabbit hole and I ended up between 16 and 14.5". With a 14.5" barrel and a 108eldm, you're right around 1900fps at 400yds. So probably more than enough for your needs. Plenty of videos of guys doing long range 6arc stuff with a 14.5" barrel. Of course you're in SBR territory so add $200 for a tax stamp. Plenty of guys running a 12" barrel too. You could use a brace on it to not buy a stamp but for that rifle you'll want one of the precision stocks.

Secondly, if you're looking for a turnkey package, the seekins rifle is the play. Great parts and it might be cheaper than piecing it together yourself. I wanted a proof barrel or something a little nicer so I was planning on piecing something together. The ONLY hesitation on it is the 8 twist barrel but plenty of reports saying that it works great.

Look for a thermal fit upper and use some retaining compound on the barrel to make sure it's seated good. I wanted something where the barrel was completely free floated so I was looking at the Seekins IRMT upper. If you want a cheap, quality upper, hard to beat one of the BCM blems. Bcm is a thermal fit, the seekins is not. This is just my personal preference.

Don't look for a crazy deal on your barrel. Pay up for a nice one from someone who has a good following. The gas system on 6arcs is very important and you want as long as you can go.

I still want one but gas guns have never blown my skirt up. I much prefer a bolt so I built a semi custom 6creed on an origin action. I'm hoping it will scratch the itch for me but I'm not so sure.

Another route is to pick up the Howa Mini in 6arc. I'd recommend snagging the barreled action from brownells and then orfering yourself the stock you want. You will eke out a bit more velocity with the bolt gun to extend your range even further and those Howas are lighter than any gas gun on the market. It's not unheard of to have a scoped 6lb rifle when it's said and done. Stockys makes stocks for them. You could probably build this one cheaper than the seekins. You might want to get the barrel chopped down though so there is some additional expense.
I’ll definitely check out the BCM’s. I’m between the 16 and 18, mostly for the speed. Should work well in my application but agreee it depends on the round

Tahoe1305

WKR
Have had 300blk and 6.5G for 5 years+ and shot a bunch.

Short answer to asked question. 6.5G easy.

300blk is useful subsonic. Supersonic the best bullets are 110-120 Barnes and BC isn’t there at 200+ ranges.

Many pushes 6 ARC here. I’d agree if there was just better bullet choices (I think they will come soon). But 120-130g 6.5 bullets will result in more down range energy even at the slower speed because of BC.

And reality it isn’t by a bunch, but I’d take a 2600fps 120g bullet for white tail any day.