300 Blackout Deer Hunters

I ordered a Traditions Outfitter G3 300 Blackout single shot rifle last night from Midway. I will do some suburban deer eradication with subs but I also want to load up some 110 VMAX for regular tree stand/wooded deer hunts where distances will be short.

I will handload my ammo and my goal is to have a lightweight, compact set up with my suppressor.

WKR
What subs do you plan on using?

Please share how it goes. I know this subject comes up from time to time and people say that if you treat it like bow hunting, it's fine, but I'd love to see some damage photos and documented experiences.

OP
General RE LEE
What subs do you plan on using?

Please share how it goes. I know this subject comes up from time to time and people say that if you treat it like bow hunting, it's fine, but I'd love to see some damage photos and documented experiences.

I plan on using the Hornady 190 Sub X. I know a few people that have had great success with them and they are much more plentiful and affordable than the other brands.

I 100% plan on treating sub hunting like bow hunting. All shots will be within bow range in heavily wooded areas.

zdc1775

FNG
I've only killed one deer with the 300 BLK using a 200 gr Maker REX bullet, this is a solid copper bullet that opens up into three petals about 1" across. The deer was right at 50 yards with a complete pass through it ran about 30 yards before dropping.

The damage at that range was certainly more that with a bow but significantly less that what you would typically see from a rifle. Based on that single data point, I would say that I would be comfortable with the performance of this round out to around 100 yard but no further until I see more deer killed with it, but doubt I would ever use it beyond that because with my 50 yard zero it's already 2 mils low at 100.

SBR Sarge

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the epic sub-sonic hunting thread on the 300blktalk.com forum. Lots of good info and lots of successes.

For supers, try the Barnes 100 black tip made specifically for the 300 blk velocities. Works really well. Ive killed many deer and a few hogs.

Folks do get good results with the VMax, too. It seems with 300 blk velocities. it penetrates better without the explosive opening it exhibits in 308 velocities.

Shooting 300blk with subs and a suppressor is one of life’s simple pleasures.

ETA: http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87186

OP
General RE LEE
Check out the epic sub-sonic hunting thread on the 300blktalk.com forum. Lots of good info and lots of successes.

For supers, try the Barnes 100 black tip made specifically for the 300 blk velocities. Works really well. Ive killed many deer and a few hogs.

Folks do get good results with the VMax, too. It seems with 300 blk velocities. it penetrates better without the explosive opening it exhibits in 308 velocities.

Shooting 300blk with subs and a suppressor is one of life’s simple pleasures.

ETA: http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87186

I calculated I can get 580 rounds of subsonic 300 Blackout with 1 lb of CFE Black lol.

Now that’s what I call an economy cartridge.

JRS3

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot a few deer with the 190gr Hornadys and won’t do it again. The
Performance has been dismal. Granted, my rifle is a shorty so velocity is low but even SuperSonics from my gun are very underwhelming in performance.

I am strongly considering a .300 HAM’R with 16” BBL and will shoot it suppressed for a true deer, AR.

Unckebob

WKR
My hunting buddy uses a 300BO all the time to shoot deer. He normally shoots bullets in the 150g range. They work rather well.

I wish I could tell you his load.

zdc1775

FNG
What sized bullets are you shooting with 12 gr of powder?

I don't have the load data right in front of me but that is right around the powder charge of CFE BLK I was using with the 200 gr Makers.

I calculated I can get 580 rounds of subsonic 300 Blackout with 1 lb of CFE Black lol.

Now that’s what I call an economy cartridge.

The only issues I had with CFE BLK was that it is a very dirty powder. After I burn up what I have left of that I think I'll be switching to W296/H110

JAC8504

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have the load data right in front of me but that is right around the powder charge of CFE BLK I was using with the 200 gr Makers.

The only issues I had with CFE BLK was that it is a very dirty powder. After I burn up what I have left of that I think I'll be switching to W296/H110
296/110 is good for supers. Will you be able to load those heavies with that 296/110?

jhm2023

WKR
I load 190gr Maker REX for subsonic and 115gr Lehigh controlled chaos for supersonic. Between those two loads using a 10" and a 10.5" ARs, we've taken 18 bears over the years. Two were grizz and the rest were black bears and they've worked great. I personally wouldn't use the sub-x bullets for hunting.

zdc1775

FNG
296/110 is good for supers. Will you be able to load those heavies with that 296/110?

Hodgdon has subsonic load data for both with 200-220 grain bullets so yes, but I'll need to see if it will cycle the bolt on my 10.5 SBR, if not then I'll use it for my 357 and try something else for the 300.