30-06 Reloading frustrations

jt4

WKR
In the middle of trying to find a load for my t3x and its driving me crazy. I’m using a Caldwell chrono so I know it’s not the most accurate but how or why am I getting 2-300 FPS differences from the last time I shot to this time with the exact same loads? Nearly a 60* temp difference this time than last time I shot these loads through the chrono.

Does shooting in cold vs heat have that much of a difference in velocity? Is the Caldwell that far off? (It’s not great I know, that’s a whole different story for another time).

Somme of the speeds I’m getting just don’t seem right. Ask some questions that I should be looking into so I can get this figured out.

T3x 30-06
Nosler brass
Fed large magnum primers
H4350 52 - 54 grains in .5 increments

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
What's the bullet, why the mag primers, why not spend $300 on a magnetospeed?

There's a fair chance you end up close to 60gr if you are loading a typical 30-06 bullet.

smoothie25

Lil-Rokslider
2-300 fps change is quite a swing for 60 degree difference, especially for a temp stable power you're using.

Were these loads all made in the same batch? Could be some variables added if they were loaded at different times.

Why use mag primers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
Barnes 168 ttsx

They were loaded at two different times.

Mag primers bc that’s what I had at the time of the first load. Now I have CCI large rifle primers, CCI No. 24, and the Fed large magnum primers. The numbers weren’t too bad the first batch so I decided to give it another try.

I do also have hybrid 100 and IMR 4350 but just chose H4350 for the same reason, it’s what I had the most of at the time (during the beginning of the big shortage).

Note: My first shot was a test today to see if things were accurate and I got almost exact speed of the box of Fed Premium Nosler 165 Accubonds. I wouldn’t mind shooting these again but they’re a PITA to find.

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
What's the bullet, why the mag primers, why not spend $300 on a magnetospeed?

There's a fair chance you end up close to 60gr if you are loading a typical 30-06 bullet.

In hindsight I should’ve spent the extra cash. Poor choice by me admittedly.

I was starting on the low end bc of the magnum primers, and the Barnes website shows 55.5 as the max charge for H4350 so I didn’t want to push it

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve had great luck with my Caldwell. From what I’ve seen, I wouldn’t have anything else.

For grins and giggles I dropped your load into GRTools...

First blush without knowing case volume I get the attached. Shows a muzzle velocity of 2755 ft/s. Are you getting something along those lines?

Disclaimer: I am completely unqualified to comment on or try to solve your load issue, but I've been playing with GRTools for a couple of days and learned a ton, and your issue seemed like an opportunity to throw a real world problem into it. Feel free to ignore completely.

Attachments

• Load.png
    Load.png
    853.9 KB · Views: 36
OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
First set. 33* out

TTSX 168
52g 2762, 2717, 2631
52.5. 2710, 2705, 2763
53. ERR, 2670, 2698
53.5. 2677, 2781, 2750
54. 2790, ERR, ERR

2nd set today. 94* temp

Fed Premium 165 Partition 2827 FPS (test shot)

TTSX 168
52.5 ERR, ERR, 2497
53 2569, 2599, 2637
53.5. 2647, 2592, 2593
54 ERR, ERR, ERR
54.5 2606, ERR, ERR

I tried to let the barrel cool as much as possible but it very was hot out.

*ERR is error where either the chrono just didn’t read or literally fell over to the ground*

Last edited:

dla

WKR
Take a 22 with you next time you setup your chronograph. I suspect that you're not shooting over the sensors squarely. Or not using the diffusers.

Reactions: jt4
OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
Are you shooting a ttsx or a partition?

TTSX. The partition was leftover from last year and I just wanted a test round to see if the chrono would read when I shot through it without using one of my new hand loads.

Edited my chart to make that more clear now.

I've been in your situation. I fought with cheap chronos for years.

Long story short, buy a magnetospeed, it will solve your problem.

I thought the same thing when I had a Caldwell chronograph. I got a magneto speed and used it at the same time with the Caldwell. Readings were within 5-10fps of eachother.

I’ve switch back to the Caldwell and need to sell the magneto speed. I know that doesn’t help you much but just a heads up, those caldwells aren’t as bad as people make them out to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dla

JakeSCH

WKR
How well do you trust your powder scale? Nosler's load data shows 53.5 to 57.5, I bet their load data will be close to what you will see. H4350 is a fantastic powder, I doubt this is due to temp effects on the powder.

53.5 - 2642
55.5 - 2757
57.5 - 2872

The speed on your factory load seems right on...I am sure it is probably several things from how / when you resized the brass to powder charge.

Do you have a consistent headspace on the brass?

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I have a Caldwell chrono and like it.

I’d check how I was setting it up w all those error readings. Put your gun on a sandbag or something and center your crosshairs about 3 inches up.

W one of my rifles I find my first 2 shots are slower than out of a hotter barrel. Sometimes find a 100-200 ft diff based on barrel temp. Any chance for something like that?

4350 is a good powder for 3006.

you do need to step that powder up. You want 2900 FPS or more. I run that w 150 sierra pro hunter and it is excellent.

Let the target tell you if that speed diff is real.

UtahJimmy

WKR
*ERR is error where either the chrono just didn’t read or literally fell over to the ground*

You're barrel is way too close to the Caldwell if the muzzle blast is knocking it over. That's why you are getting so many errors. Put 10-15ft between your muzzle and the chrono

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
I was 11 - 12 ft away and it was still happening. Any further out and it would have been either farther than I wanted or in half sun half shade. A main part of the problem is the head on the tripod is too cheap and doesn't support the weight of the chrono. It won't lock down tight enough to keep from falling over. I actually had a gust of wind knock it over when I was downrange checking targets.

I'm out of the return window, but Caldwell is sending me full new kit under warranty, so hopefully the new one will yield better results.

Honestly, get a magnetospeed and you won't look back. I started with a standard chrono and it was a pain in the ass (light, clouds, etc.). I learned to work it but it need specific parameters to be consistent. Magnetospeed has simplified my reloading process profoundly and it just simply WORKS!

I would start there. Standard LR primes should be fine. 2800-2900 fps would be my expectation for that load. I used to run the exact load.

2-300 fps is huge. Maybe 1-2 fps per degree velocity change. H4350 should be fairly temperature insensitive but you will still get a velocity change as temperature increases.

I hunt between 20-60 degrees. 40 average. I put my rounds in a little cooler when I go to the range and temperature is usually around 42 in that box. Great way to control temp. I leave my truck running when I do chrono work or target work. Shoot 2-3 rounds and the gun goes straight to the truck with the AC vents pointed directly at the barrel. Cold to touch within 5 minutes.

FWIW