30-06 Reloading frustrations

Honestly, get a magnetospeed and you won't look back. I started with a standard chrono and it was a pain in the ass (light, clouds, etc.). I learned to work it but it need specific parameters to be consistent. Magnetospeed has simplified my reloading process profoundly and it just simply WORKS!

I would start there. Standard LR primes should be fine. 2800-2900 fps would be my expectation for that load. I used to run the exact load.

2-300 fps is huge. Maybe 1-2 fps per degree velocity change. H4350 should be fairly temperature insensitive but you will still get a velocity change as temperature increases.

I hunt between 20-60 degrees. 40 average. I put my rounds in a little cooler when I go to the range and temperature is usually around 42 in that box. Great way to control temp. I leave my truck running when I do chrono work or target work. Shoot 2-3 rounds and the gun goes straight to the truck with the AC vents pointed directly at the barrel. Cold to touch within 5 minutes.

FWIW

Question about the magneto speed, when adding weight to the end of your barrel, it can/will effect groupings. How do you work around that when you’re reloading? Look for small ES and then take it off, shoot paper for group and then adjust seating depth until it groups well then reinstall magneto to get your velocity data?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question about the magneto speed, when adding weight to the end of your barrel, it can/will effect groupings. How do you work around that when you’re reloading? Look for small ES and then take it off, shoot paper for group and then adjust seating depth until it groups well then reinstall magneto to get your velocity data?

Exactly.

When doing chrono work I don't set up a target. Shoot, record, etc. When I settle on a velocity or ES that I like put it on paper. After seating depth adjustments, etc, settled on a load, run through magnetospeed, for final velocities.

To really dial in true downrange velocity I use the Kestrel which has been a game changer for me. As you know bullet manufacturers tend to overstate their BCs. Kestrel figures it all out for you.

If you don't shoot over 300 yards don't waste money on a Kestrel. However, I still think its a great tool in the field for real time DA, wind, etc. Nice making adjustments prior to shooting at game that are spot on.

Last edited:

Harvey_NW

WKR
That is the exact reason why I got rid of my magnetospeed. Sometimes they don't affect heavy barrels but on all of my medium/sporter barrels I was ultimately wasting components to get velocity data, and in a component shortage I just didn't like the idea. Picked up a ProChrono to try out for now.

What type of reloading scale are you using? If it is a beam type scale, don't forget to set it to zero and zero it out with the leveling foot each time you use it. It could be something as simple as the scale moved on the loading bench to a spot where you weren't getting accurate throws.

KineKilla

WKR
I reload for accuracy first. Then, I will run them through my chrono to get my ballistics nailed down.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
I was finding some wide swings in velocity between batches of reloads for a long while. When I picked up a RCBS chargemaster combo I tested it against the little digital scale I was using. Suffice to say I figured out why I often saw wide swings in velocity and some unimpressive Extreme Spreads.... I'd recommend using a good scale.

As for the magnetospeed vs. optical chrono question.... I use both. The magnetospeed is great because it's not losing shots bc the lighting wasn't perfect, or the shot wasn't directly over the sensor. It does change the harmonics of the barrel so grouping isn't a reliable indicator of anything. BUT it gets me accurate FPS, SD, ES which is the info I need when I'm working on a load. Yesterday I just wanted to get some velocity numbers for some factory hunting rounds and I was using four different rifles. Setting up the optical chrono worked best because I could switch guns to cool barrels without having to detach a magnetspeed and I could shoot for groups. Optical chrono reads about 10fps slower than the magnetospeed for me. YMMV

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
You can make the Caldwell work. I built a plywood box for mine and put a fluorescent diffuser on the top. A google search may yield pics. It was much more reliable after that. You will need a strong tripod though.

I have since moved to a magneto speed.

Buy a Caldwell then buy a magneto speed - should have got a Lab-radar to start with.

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
Update:

Here are todays numbers with a magnetospeed. Basically identically humidity and temp. Hot and humid as hell.

I went to the CCI 200 primers and kept the H4350. My last shot with 56g ended with what looked like a tiny slice in the neck of the cartridge. Unfortunately I tossed it before taking a picture. Based on the numbers and the picture of brass and primers they look to be in good shape without signs of pressure besides the last shot fired with 56g.

Question is should I stick with the 55.5 or 56g charge or keep working up? Barnes website shows 55.5 as the max charge for 168 TTSX.
d14ee93d8b5a98bc35eaeac7257c315f.jpg

sndmn11

WKR
Update:

Here are todays numbers with a magnetospeed. Basically identically humidity and temp. Hot and humid as hell.

I went to the CCI 200 primers and kept the H4350. My last shot with 56g ended with what looked like a tiny slice in the neck of the cartridge. Unfortunately I tossed it before taking a picture. Based on the numbers and the picture of brass and primers they look to be in good shape without signs of pressure besides the last shot fired with 56g.

Question is should I stick with the 55.5 or 56g charge or keep working up? Barnes website shows 55.5 as the max charge for 168 TTSX.
Having basically just done the same thing in another thread, I wouldn't hesitate to run more testing up to 61gr and expect to see 58.5 to 60 with about 2950fps.

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
Having basically just done the same thing in another thread, I wouldn't hesitate to run more testing up to 61gr and expect to see 58.5 to 60 with about 2950fps.

Thank you. No idea how I missed your thread.

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
My mark v 30-06 24 in barrel loves the 168 ttsx over 59 gr h4350 large primer and in my gun coal is 3.275. 2945 fps

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
Here are today’s. Much better looking. I think I’ll stick here and mess with the COAL slightly to see where I can get the best groups.

f2fac6d638de0b3c64360fff534a6f59.jpg

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
Did you get to and above 60?

Not yet. Stopped at 59.5 today. I wanted to make sure there weren’t any pressure signs before I loaded above these 4.

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
How many inch barrel does your gun have? Nothing the matter with stopping and not pushing for max pressure and velocity. If accuracy is there you are gtg unless you are trying to stretch max range and need the up front velocity for long range bullet performance.

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
22” barrel on a t3x lite

55.5 was the most consistent velocities but 59.5 was a close second with a 200 FPS gain.

Max range for me is 400 and the 168g stays a good bit above recommended velocity out to 500+ with these speeds.

The curiosity in me wants to push it and find the limits of this load, but at the same time I’m happy with the numbers as it sits.

sndmn11

WKR
Not yet. Stopped at 59.5 today. I wanted to make sure there weren’t any pressure signs before I loaded above these 4.

I'd do 59.3, 59.5, 59.8, 60.1, 60.4 up to where you feel like stopping and see how wide that 2885fps band is.

Last edited:
Reactions: jt4

wyosam

WKR
If you’re happy with it, why let curiosity beat up the brass? If you want to push that bullet faster, there are plenty of cases to use that will do that.