30-06 for everything????

Tricer

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
30-06 or bust for me in 2024. In a time where you have to shoot the newest cartridge and are called a fudd for shooting anything else. This season I will be leaving the custom rifles in the safe and will be shooting a Factory Browning X-Bolt in 30-06 for all my rifle hunts. I topped it with a Maven RS1.2 and will be shooting Hammer 151AH monos pushed by old reliable H4350.

I am really concerned that in 2024 the 30-06 is incapable of killing animals. Below is a list of my rifle hunts for this season we will see if this caliber is obsolete.

August Maui Axis Deer
September Antelope
Oct/Nov So Cal Deer
Nov 3rd Season Mule Deer
January Sonora Coues

Stay tuned, I will let you know in this thread if the bullets bounce off.

Oh one last thing it has a stock made out of some weird organic material???

IMG_9671.jpeg

Last edited:

TN2shot07

WKR
Dude…. You are so cheating, you can’t soup up the 06 with hammers. It should be corelokts, PowerPoints, maybe a partition or bust.

I have a safe full of rifles and all of my best animals have been taken with a 25-06, 270, or 30-06. Sometimes stuff just works 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'd never hunted anything with a 30-06 till maybe 6 or 7 years ago. have a really nice custom I inherited from a close friend and worried about banging it up. Shoot he'd never used it since I'd known him either. 1903 Springfield by Paul Jaeger. My friend had it made as his get out of the service present in 1945. Well I did give in and seemed something was wrong, wasn't getting velocity's with 180gr bullet's I felt I should. Too it to a gunsmith and he checked the barrel and found it had shot a lot corrosive primered ammo and not cleaned well enough. Well figured changing the barrel would lessen the value as Paul Jaeger's name as maker would go away so hunted with it as it was.

First shot at an elk, cow, was about 200yds and she fell down right there! So much for slow bullet's! Used it the next two years and two more cows with two more shots, I only get cow tags, it's food to me!

I don't think the 30-06 is one bit better than a lot of other cartridges and not one bit worse! The real secrete to killing an animal is knowing how to use the firearm with the bullet you have. The major advantage in each cartridge is the bullet you choose to use and how well you use that load. Going to bigger cartridge's won't necessarily up your odds but does allow the use of heavier bullet's. A 243 with say a 90gr bullet will kill any elk just as fast and just as dead as very heavy bullet from some 375 cal rifle. What you get with the 375 is more recoil and a better selection of places to place the bullet! I believe the ideal cartridge for elk sized game is 30 cal standard cartridges. They will hold down the recoil and deliver a good weight bullet fast enough to kill whatever dead, of course that assumes you do your job! 30-06 is a great cartridge and even though I may never hunt with mine again, it ain't going anywhere. I'm only getting older and lower recoil appeals to me! The drawback of larger cartridges with heavier bullet's is recoil!

OP
Tricer

Tricer

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd never hunted anything with a 30-06 till maybe 6 or 7 years ago. have a really nice custom I inherited from a close friend and worried about banging it up. Shoot he'd never used it since I'd known him either. 1903 Springfield by Paul Jaeger. My friend had it made as his get out of the service present in 1945. Well I did give in and seemed something was wrong, wasn't getting velocity's with 180gr bullet's I felt I should. Too it to a gunsmith and he checked the barrel and found it had shot a lot corrosive primered ammo and not cleaned well enough. Well figured changing the barrel would lessen the value as Paul Jaeger's name as maker would go away so hunted with it as it was.

First shot at an elk, cow, was about 200yds and she fell down right there! So much for slow bullet's! Used it the next two years and two more cows with two more shots, I only get cow tags, it's food to me!

I don't think the 30-06 is one bit better than a lot of other cartridges and not one bit worse! The real secrete to killing an animal is knowing how to use the firearm with the bullet you have. The major advantage in each cartridge is the bullet you choose to use and how well you use that load. Going to bigger cartridge's won't necessarily up your odds but does allow the use of heavier bullet's. A 243 with say a 90gr bullet will kill any elk just as fast and just as dead as very heavy bullet from some 375 cal rifle. What you get with the 375 is more recoil and a better selection of places to place the bullet! I believe the ideal cartridge for elk sized game is 30 cal standard cartridges. They will hold down the recoil and deliver a good weight bullet fast enough to kill whatever dead, of course that assumes you do your job! 30-06 is a great cartridge and even though I may never hunt with mine again, it ain't going anywhere. I'm only getting older and lower recoil appeals to me! The drawback of larger cartridges with heavier bullet's is recoil!
Long live the 30s

30-06 or bust for me in 2024. In a time where you have to shoot the newest cartridge and are called a fud for shooting anything else. This season I will be leaving the custom rifles in the safe and will be shooting a Factory Browning X-Bolt in 30-06 for all my rifle hunts. I topped it with a Maven RS1.2 and will be shooting Hammer 151AH monos pushed by old reliable H4350.

I am really concerned that in 2024 the 30-06 is incapable of killing animals. Below is a list of my rifle hunts for this season we will see if this caliber is obsolete.

August Maui Axis Deer
September Antelope
Oct/Nov So Cal Deer
Nov 3rd Season Mule Deer
January Sonora Coues

Stay tuned, I will let you know in this thread if the bullets bounce off.

Oh one last thing it has a stock made out of some weird organic material???

View attachment 732964
I’m right there with you, brother except I run a .270 myself. God forbid a hunter has a wood stocked rifle 😵. You’re also right about there being absolutely zero need for the latest and greatest stuff. I also have been called a Fudd because I like wood and blued steel. It is what it is.

30-06 or any cartridge based on the case is a winner. I have a .270 Win, 280 Rem, 30-06 and 35 Whelen AI in the safe among others. All of them have taken pronghorn to elk other than the AI, deer and elk only for that one so far...