30-06 180 grain Trophy Copper

fred14462

FNG
going on a Newfoundland moose hunt in Oct. My Savage seems to love the Federal meat eater trophy copper. Has anyone used them for moose? I have found lots of reports on whitetail and all have been good. Just wondering about a bigger animal.

AM3

FNG
No experience with those, but any 30 cal 180gr in the vitals is going to make for good eating. Good luck!

From what I have read, the 180 needs as much speed as possible for expansion and hits more like 200+ grains at it retains weight. No personal experience yet and trying to find some 165g for elk this season.

As an armchair quarterback, I would assume moose less than 300 yards with 180 would be good!

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
You will be fine.. aim small , miss small as the old saying goes. I took a nice moose last year with 150 ABLR in 270 Win
(88 yards)

Johnboy

WKR
Here are a couple of Federal Trophy Copper 30-06 in 165gr recovered from the offside hide of a bull moose I killed last September. Shot was 75 yards broadside and quartering away. They did quick work. I didn't weigh them afterward, but they appear to have retained most of their original mass.

30-06 Federal Trophy Copper 165gr.JPG

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
I used a 300 WIN MAG with Federal 180 grain bullet with ballistic tip on my Moose hunt last fall. Shots were at 80 yards, full broadside and two of the 3 shots were placed right in the rib cage vital zone and they never penetrated beyond the hide. The expansion of the ballistic tip energy opened and was absorbed by the hide before penetrating.

I will never use ballistic tips on a Moose again, only solids.

h2so4

WKR
I used a 300 WIN MAG with Federal 180 grain bullet with ballistic tip on my Moose hunt last fall. Shots were at 80 yards, full broadside and two of the 3 shots were placed right in the rib cage vital zone and they never penetrated beyond the hide. The expansion of the ballistic tip energy opened and was absorbed by the hide before penetrating.

Did you get any pics?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Nosler balistic tips??? I wouldn’t use those either.

SDHNTR

WKR

He’s literally talking about the polar opposite of that bullet.

I’ve killed piles of big boar hogs with Trophy Coppers. Zero complaints. There’s not an animal in North America I would hesitate to shoot with a 30-06 and a 180 Trophy copper.

What led you to choose that bullet in the first place?

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
What led you to choose that bullet in the first place?

It is what I use deer hunting. It is Federals Premium Vital-Shok Trophy Bonded Tip Rifle Ammo Great penetration and deer never go much beyond 40 yards. Discussed with my guide and he admitted he should have informed about the bullet type he prefers.

Last edited:

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
He’s literally talking about the polar opposite of that bullet.

I’ve killed piles of big boar hogs with Trophy Coppers. Zero complaints. There’s not an animal in North America I would hesitate to shoot with a 30-06 and a 180 Trophy copper.

I think it is exactly what is referring too ...

1676467648831.png