280 Nosler AI build

When my father died a couple years ago he left me a little money and told me that he wanted me to do something for me. Not for my family, not to pay bills, just for me because I seldom do things like that. So I thought about a special rifle. Something different and maybe a custom rifle set up the way I wanted. So this is what I did. Found a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter in .270 Winchester for my donor action and away I went. I just got it back from my gunsmith and am saving up for optics on it. I cannot wait to get started working up a load for it.

gunsmith: Bob Peterson Missoula, MT
rifle: Winchester Model 70 classic sporter in .280 Nosler AI
action: lugs lapped, bolt face and action face squared up, trigger adjusted to 2.5 pound
stock: pillar and glass bedded
metal work: John Norrell Arms moly resin
barrel: Shilen air gauged match stainless barrel - 24" - 1-9 twist
scope to mount: either a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle, or a 3-15x42mm Zeiss Conquest HD5

mk_v

WKR
That's a really nice build, I really like it!

Do you shoot at the range in Missoula?

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Looks good - very nice. Rather than a Leupold with B&C reticle you might want to consider that same scope but with a M1 turret. That 280AI will be effective way past a B&C 500 yd max.
I've shot a 280AI for years and in my opinion it's at the top of the list for non magnum cartridges.

Shrek

WKR
Very nice ! A good way to remember your father. Time in the field is some of the very best we enjoy and having your fathers gift along will make that time even sweeter.

LaGriz

WKR
6mm remington,
This is an awesome rig! Well done indeed. I have a planned build on pre-64 M70 and only hope it turns out nearly as good.
Have owned a .280 Rem. for 20+ years this AI chambering should be great medicine for deer and elk. I'm sure you have a pet load in mind, but take good look at the 160 gr. accu-bond bullets as they have turned my factoy Mt. rifle in to a fine shooter. Can't recomend them enough! Your other rifles may be spending a lot of time in the gun safe. LOL!

LaGriz

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
This is the exact build that I would like to do. What kind of barrel did you get? Did you do any other mods besides changing calibers and the barrel?

BTW I love the rifle it is very nice and will be an heirloom

MT

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
This is the exact build that I would like to do. What kind of barrel did you get? Did you do any other mods besides changing calibers and the barrel?

BTW I love the rifle it is very nice and will be an heirloom

MT

Never mind, read it again and looks like you have all of the mods there. Sweet gun, this gives me more ambition to save my pennies :)

MT

OP
6mm Remington
6mm remington,
This is an awesome rig! Well done indeed. I have a planned build on pre-64 M70 and only hope it turns out nearly as good.
Have owned a .280 Rem. for 20+ years this AI chambering should be great medicine for deer and elk. I'm sure you have a pet load in mind, but take good look at the 160 gr. accu-bond bullets as they have turned my factoy Mt. rifle in to a fine shooter. Can't recomend them enough! Your other rifles may be spending a lot of time in the gun safe. LOL!

LaGriz
Yes I too love those Noslers. It will be 140-160 grss and it will be a Partition, Accubond, or E-tip and the rifle will let me know which one it likes the best. I cannot wait.

OP
6mm Remington
Ive only shot at the deep creek range out west of town. is the deer creek range nice?

I really like it but only goes to 300 yards right now. I think they are going to eventually put in a longer section someplace. Paved road to get there vs the rough dirt to Deer Creek. Nice bathrooms with hot and cold running water. Pistol bays, archery bay, shotgun area to shoot clay pigeons. Electronic gate card to get in and out. I think it's $50.00 a year. Heck of a deal if you ask me.

Wasatchbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome!! just picked up a model 70 featherweight in 300 win mag and this gives me a little inspiration for my guns future.

bhylton

WKR
I really like it but only goes to 300 yards right now. I think they are going to eventually put in a longer section someplace. Paved road to get there vs the rough dirt to Deer Creek. Nice bathrooms with hot and cold running water. Pistol bays, archery bay, shotgun area to shoot clay pigeons. Electronic gate card to get in and out. I think it's $50.00 a year. Heck of a deal if you ask me.

Ya that does sound nice, especially if a guy is just doing load development at 100 or 200 yds. i renewed at deep creek just a bit ago and i think it was 40$ paved road by itself is worth the extra 10 bucks haha

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Someone help me. What is a 280 Nosler AI? I know what a 280 Remington AI is, but not a Nosler version.

OP
6mm Remington
Someone help me. What is a 280 Nosler AI? I know what a 280 Remington AI is, but not a Nosler version.
It is exactly as you state, it is a 280 Remington AI with the Nosler specs though. A lot of folks have started calling it the .280 Nosler AI since it was Nosler who got it the SAAMI specs so it's not a wildcat any longer, so that is what I wanted on the barrel. Hope that helps.

Man I cannot wait to get a scope on it and start loading for it!!