Should I bed my action?

Mag_7s

WKR
Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate all the tips and encouragement. I will definitely be doing this myself.

It a Pure Precision Altitude stock, Skltn action and proof research barrel in 7PRC. I have never owned a hunting rifle this nice and I’m trying to make sure I do everything right.
Take your time and it will turn out great. The barrel dam is tricky (for me anyway). Take your time with it and make sure you have a good seal around the barrel shank. I will roll a thin noodle of clay, and place close to where i want the bedding to end. I make an impression with the barreled action as if it were to be fitted right now. Then pull the barreled action back off. You'll have a smooshed piece of clay. Square the clay using a straight edge and exacto blade where you want the bedding to end on the shank just in front of the recoil lug.

OP
TheBrk

TheBrk

FNG
Take your time and it will turn out great. The barrel dam is tricky (for me anyway). Take your time with it and make sure you have a good seal around the barrel shank. I will roll a thin noodle of clay, and place close to where i want the bedding to end. I make an impression with the barreled action as if it were to be fitted right now. Then pull the barreled action back off. You'll have a smooshed piece of clay. Square the clay using a straight edge and exacto blade where you want the bedding to end on the shank just in front of the recoil lug.
That seems very straight forward. Thank you.

packer58

WKR
@TheBrk , you sound like your more than capable to tackle a bedding job.My go-to epoxy is Marine Tex gray. Get the 2 oz kit and it will handle any bedding job, mix the whole kit (2 oz) and toss what you don't use. Kiwi neutral shoe polish is my release agent.

Just popped this one out this evening and still have some clean-up to do, this stock took quite a bit of work putting a proof sendero in a 3b contour barrel channel, had to completely re-build the forearm rails and contours ......bedded barrel channel first and then action ......3 layers of 10 mil tape on the barrel for float. I ended up with a small void in the ejection window area but will not affect the function of the bedding.

IMG_6387.jpg

OP
TheBrk

TheBrk

FNG
@TheBrk , you sound like your more than capable to tackle a bedding job.My go-to epoxy is Marine Tex gray. Get the 2 oz kit and it will handle any bedding job, mix the whole kit (2 oz) and toss what you don't use. Kiwi neutral shoe polish is my release agent.

Just popped this one out this evening and still have some clean-up to do, this stock took quite a bit of work putting a proof sendero in a 3b contour barrel channel, had to completely re-build the forearm rails and contours ......bedded barrel channel first and then action ......3 layers of 10 mil tape on the barrel for float. I ended up with a small void in the ejection window area but will not affect the function of the bedding.

View attachment 719261
Very nice 👍🏻

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with Johnny Boy in Post #8. Put it together and shoot it first . Maybe it doesn't even need bedded. I've had rifes I wouldn't even think of bedding for fear of messing up their accuracy.

I am in the "don't bed it unless it needs it category", especially with the newer "precision" components available.

I have one Pure Precision Altitude stock. I got mine when it was still Mesa Precision. I have a Remington 700 action that was cleaned up by LRI, Redhawk Rifles BDL bottom metal, and a McGowen .260 Remage barrel screwed on with a PVA barrel nut.
That rifle shoots good enough where I have never even considered having it bedded. There is no need.

Wapiti1

WKR
Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate all the tips and encouragement. I will definitely be doing this myself.

It a Pure Precision Altitude stock, Skltn action and proof research barrel in 7PRC. I have never owned a hunting rifle this nice and I’m trying to make sure I do everything right.
Those are typically pretty clean inlet, but the recoil lug recess is big to take oversize lugs. I'd put it together and shoot it first.

Jeremy

SDHNTR

WKR
I don’t dam my barrel channel. I’ve tried it that way and have never been able to get a clean edge of cured epoxy up against the clay. I just let the excess flow and then grind it back with a dremel once dry.

Last edited:

packer58

WKR
I don’t damn my barrel channel. I’ve tried it that way and have never been able to get a clean edge of cured epoxy up against the clay. I just let the excess flow and then grind it back with a dremel once dry.
I'm in the same camp and don't use a putty dam ... but, I do place painters tape in the barrel channel where I want to end the action bedding in front of the lug, that way the excess epoxy does't adhere to the barrel channel and can be milled out nicely. Another little trick is to .... once you pop the action out, take a piece of painters tape and run it from one side of the stock to the other through the channel to establish the limit line for excess removal. For me at least, this method gives me a nice clean transition from bedding to barrel channel.

SDHNTR

WKR
I'm in the same camp and don't use a putty dam ... but, I do place painters tape in the barrel channel where I want to end the action bedding in front of the lug, that way the excess epoxy does't adhere to the barrel channel and can be milled out nicely. Another little trick is to .... once you pop the action out, take a piece of painters tape and run it from one side of the stock to the other through the channel to establish the limit line for excess removal. For me at least, this method gives me a nice clean transition from bedding to barrel channel.
Good trick with the painters tape so epoxy doesn’t adhere to the stock.

mike257

FNG
One of the most basic beginners gunsmith projects, no machine tools required, just some common sense. Do your homework and give it a shot, my advice for a first timer is to do it in steps, if your not happy with it you can always Dremel it out and start over. Primary concern on your first try is to not permanently attaching your action to the stock. Have at it and good luck.