280 Nosler AI build

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the clarification. Really like the gun. As much as I like other guns, I have a soft spot for Model 70s. Gave up on wooden stocks a long time ago for big game applications due to the unintended abuse periodically. A 280AI is on my radar screen, but may just go with the 28 Nosler instead. The ballistics are out of sight.

AZ Vince

WKR
Outstanding looking rifle!
Sorry about your father but glad you followed his instructions.

Vince

bhylton

WKR
Are the dimensions for the nosler AI slightly different than the original AI? i thought i read that someplace

OP
6mm Remington
Are the dimensions for the nosler AI slightly different than the original AI? i thought i read that someplace

You know, I am not quite sure. I have not tried as I don't have optics on it, but I should be able to shoot regular 280 Remington factory stuff in here just fine as you could in the old .280 Remington AI. I've read a couple different pieces and sorry to say, but I don't know for sure. I looked at the specs for the two and they looked the same to me, but who knows. If I can find the link on it I'll try and post it up. Just for the fact that the 280 Remington AI made by Nosler has been SAAMI spec approved, that is why I went with it so if someone wants to shoot Nosler Factory ammo they can. Could they shoot the same ammo in the older 280's that were just blown out, I do not know. Clear as mud I know.

ppreston

FNG
Fantastic looking rifle! Despite owning only Savage rifles, I've always been a big a big fan of the M70.

OP
6mm Remington
Almost have enough $$$ saved to get the scope on this thing and start shooting! Man I'm excited. Hopefully I'll take it out bear hunting!!

GKPrice

Banned
there has been some discrepancy regarding "improved" cartridge dimensions, namely the shoulder angle, which on an "Ackley" improved will mostly be a 40 degree shoulder - there have all sorts of other angles along the way but "Ackley" and "Gibbs" are two renowned approaches, there are others - Nosler uses the "Ackley" shoulder, 40 degree (if I'm not mistaken)

OP
6mm Remington
there has been some discrepancy regarding "improved" cartridge dimensions, namely the shoulder angle, which on an "Ackley" improved will mostly be a 40 degree shoulder - there have all sorts of other angles along the way but "Ackley" and "Gibbs" are two renowned approaches, there are others - Nosler uses the "Ackley" shoulder, 40 degree (if I'm not mistaken)
You are correct, it is all Ackley with the 40 degree shoulder.

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Hey 6mm, question about the moly resin coating, did your gunsmith do that for you or did you do it yourself? Also is it like blueing where it colors the metal or does it leave a layer of moly resin that adds thickness to the metal parts it is applied to? I am thinking of doing something similar to what you did, but maybe buying a model 70 in 280, that way I can shoot it and have some brass for when I convert it to the 280 ai.

MT

GKPrice

Banned
You know, I am not quite sure. I have not tried as I don't have optics on it, but I should be able to shoot regular 280 Remington factory stuff in here just fine as you could in the old .280 Remington AI. I've read a couple different pieces and sorry to say, but I don't know for sure. I looked at the specs for the two and they looked the same to me, but who knows. If I can find the link on it I'll try and post it up. Just for the fact that the 280 Remington AI made by Nosler has been SAAMI spec approved, that is why I went with it so if someone wants to shoot Nosler Factory ammo they can. Could they shoot the same ammo in the older 280's that were just blown out, I do not know. Clear as mud I know.

something to know and consider about an AI chamber is that it must be headspaced exact or fireforming could have a tendency to stretch the brass at the web - my first Ackley was a 257 AI and I had to hold the rifle pointing straight up to get 280 rds to fire - Later I met Darrell Holland in Powers OR who explained the process to me - what he said to do "IF" you don't know the dimensions for sure is load fireform loads with bullets touching the lands hard (which doesn't work so well for hunting rounds) but it removes virtually all worry about that web stretch and I've killed thousands of prairie dogs with fireform loads, which turn out to be just as accurate as the finished product - My point being, IF you use factory 280 loads for hunting AND fireforming you may be creating a problem for yourself, ask the gunsmith who did the rifle first, I'd say

OP
6mm Remington
1. My gunsmith did it. He says it's simpler to apply and use than Cerakote and according to the company it looks like it's used in a lot of military and other applications.
2. I'm not sure if it adds thickness. If it does it is very minute I believe. Read this and it should answer your questions a lot easier than I can.
http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_about.asp

3. According to my gunsmith and what I feel working the bolt is that it does seem to make the metal parts coated with it slicker and slide more easily than metal to metal. It really looks nice and I'm happy with how it turned out.

I think if you are looking for a Model 70 in a .280 Remington it's going to have to be a used one, or at least I think it will be. The Model 70 Featherweight was the last one chambered for it I believe. You might go to this site and check out their rifles which they make using what they believed to be the best of the Model 70 and the Mauser 98. I've not shot one but went to their shop here in Montana and personally looked at their rifles, and they are first class. They do chamber for the .280 and the 280 AI also!!

http://montanarifleco.com/#

OP
6mm Remington
Here is a picture with scope mounted on it finally. I got a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle and adjustable objective. I used Talley mounts to put it on the rifle with.

Hopefully I can get the picture of a target. I used a box of 140 gr. Nosler Accubond factory loads to break in the barrel with. I shot and cleaned after each shot for most of the 20 round box. When I had it sighted pretty close to being spot on at 100 yards I was still shooting and cleaning after every shot and I shot a 6 shot group. Shot number five is out slightly and I called it. The rest are right there. Pretty good I figure for factory and for cleaning after each shot. I cannot wait to load some up!!

OP
6mm Remington
Wow Jason that stock turned out very nice!! The finish is just perfect and really compliments the grain. What did you use? I agree too and it's hard to beat a wooden stock for looks and feel. I really like the laminates too as they are as pretty and warm, and yet are as strong and tough as a synthetic with a aluminum bedding block. I had mine pillar and glass bedded with the barrel floated so it should keep zero pretty darn good.

Thank you. This project started out of necessity to repair a crack near the front action screw. While I had it apart, I did the following:

1) Insert metal rod and epoxy in place to repair crack
2) Sand down to bare wood
3) Install pillars
4) Full length bed with Devcon, floated barrel
5) Clean up checkering
6) Seal with Permalyn
7) Fill grain with paste of Permalyn, thinner, rottenstone, and charcoal dust
8) Top coat with Permalyn

I really like the moly resin coating on that rifle, what did it run you to have that done?

OP
6mm Remington
My gunsmith made me a pretty sweet deal and did it for about $100.00. It runs roughly $150.00 most of the time I believe. It has to be stripped of the stock, the trigger, bolt pieces and such and then bead blasted before application. It looks like it's going to stand up to the wet and snow very well, but time will tell I guess. Hoping next weekend I can get it out after a bear and see!

I wanted to add something. That 338-06 sure seems like it would be a great cartridge. Not much bump but an awful lot of thump!! I've toyed with the idea of a 6mm-06 a lot. I do like my 6mm Remington's though and think I would like a 6mm Remington on one of the Montana Rifle Company rifles.

OP
6mm Remington
Got it out for it's first trek in the hills today looking for a black bear! Never saw any bears but got to spend some quality time with my Winchester Model 70 which is all good! Saw quite a few whitetails and mule deer which was nice.

OP
6mm Remington
Well my REDDING DIES showed up yesterday so today I took them apart and cleaned all the oil off inside and out. I then cleaned up the fired cases from the factory loads I used to get her close to zero and for barrel break-in. I then set my dies all up and got them adjusted and sized up the spent cases. So far I really like the Redding dies. I need to load a few up and get out now to try them!

David