280 AI Real World Feedback

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
They are very close performace wise. Significant reduction in recoil going to the 280 AI due to less powder needed to get the same result. So a more efficient round.

Hmmmm I’d buy the more efficient point of view.

But I hear the “less (felt) recoil” point of view and can’t wrap my head around that…

160gr bullet going 2900 fps that way >>> is gonna have the same recoil energy going this way<<<< no matter the headstamp. It’s physics

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmmm I’d buy the more efficient point of view.

But I hear the “less (felt) recoil” point of view and can’t wrap my head around that…

160gr bullet going 2900 fps that way >>> is gonna have the same recoil energy going this way<<<< no matter the headstamp. It’s physics
Powder charge plays into recoil too. Play around with one of those recoil calculators, amount of powder can make a lot of difference

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Powder charge plays into recoil too. Play around with one of those recoil calculators, amount of powder can make a lot of difference

Took your advice, looked into it. 61gr (AI) vs 69gr (7mag)

I stand corrected according to the recoil calculator, the 280ai is only 95% +/- of the felt recoil of a 7mag of identical speed…… doesn’t seem worth the hassle, but to each their own.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Took your advice, looked into it. 61gr (AI) vs 69gr (7mag)

I stand corrected according to the recoil calculator, the 280ai is only 95% +/- of the felt recoil of a 7mag of identical speed…… doesn’t seem worth the hassle, but to each their own.
You also get one more round in the mag with a 280AI over a 7mag. Near identical performance with an extra round just for fun.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
To piggy back off of sneaky, on top of the extra round in the magazine and the lowered recoil, you get to use bolts with a standard face instead of magnum faces which may have an impact on action selection and dimensions, you'll generally see better barrel life (less powder means less throat wear, and some think the sharper shoulder angle may also help) and reloading is usually a little more forgiving (no belt to deal with, sharper shoulder generally leads to less case stretch and better brass life, and some people will form from 30-06 brass which puts Lapua cases on the table).

Unckebob

WKR
Help me understand this building a 280ai thing.

Now I’m not judging, I spend money like an unsupervised child. but why?? Is it like a IPA beer thing?

Why not a 7mag? It does 3k easy, with the factory barrel.

I am building a 280AI right now. I just need my Big Horn Origin Action to arrive and I am good to go.

How I got there:
1) I wanted a flat shooting cartridge that would be capable of taking everything in North America (except Grizzlies) at inside 400 yards (my person range limit).

2) I didn't want the excessive recoil of a 30 caliber magnum.

3) I didn't reload, I would have certsinly built a 7mm RM or 270 because ammo availability would be a huge factor.

4) Because I reload, I eliminated the 7mm RM because I didn't want to deal with a belt. That left the 270 and 280AI.

5) I picked the 280 AI to get close to 7mm RM with hand loads.

6) If Insm honest, I also picked the 280 AI because building a 270 would have felt like trying to build a custom Toyota Camry.

Caveat on Item #1 on my list: No Short Action cartridges seriously considered. I eliminated all the SAUM cartridges because of brass availability concerns. I eliminated the 6.8 Western because I don't have confidence it will survive past this initial launch during the pandemic. Skip ahead 10 years, if the 6.8 Western is going strong, it would be a serious contender. Winchester/Browning is trying to phase out the 270WSM for the 6.8 Western.

I have a blueprinted stainless steel Remington 700 in 280 AI with a 27" Lilja barrel, Jewell trigger, etc. I load 180-grain Berger VLD-H bullets with RL-26 to 3,035 fps and get 1/4-1/2 MOA accuracy consistently at the range. (Last time out, first shot at 200 yards was 1/2" from the center of the bullseye.) This cartridge and load carry 2,500 ft-lbs of retained energy to 500 yards, and over 1,500 ft-lbs to 1,000 yards. This is 7mm Rem. Mag performance in a more efficient cartridge. If you need more than that, you probably need a 300 mag.

TURNER208

FNG
I've been using a .280 Ackley for 4-5 years now, its been a great rifle. I've had great success with Nosler 140 accubonds and 150 ballistic tips on deer and hogs. Last few years I've used the 168 VLD and 143 Hammer, with excellent results as well.

Mine is built on a stiller LA with a 22" brux. The .280AI is definitely a great round that I doubt I'll ever be without.

View attachment 378751
What contour Brux did you use?

I am building a 280AI right now. I just need my Big Horn Origin Action to arrive and I am good to go.

How I got there:
1) I wanted a flat shooting cartridge that would be capable of taking everything in North America (except Grizzlies) at inside 400 yards (my person range limit).

2) I didn't want the excessive recoil of a 30 caliber magnum.

3) I didn't reload, I would have certsinly built a 7mm RM or 270 because ammo availability would be a huge factor.

4) Because I reload, I eliminated the 7mm RM because I didn't want to deal with a belt. That left the 270 and 280AI.

5) I picked the 280 AI to get close to 7mm RM with hand loads.

6) If Insm honest, I also picked the 280 AI because building a 270 would have felt like trying to build a custom Toyota Camry.

Caveat on Item #1 on my list: No Short Action cartridges seriously considered. I eliminated all the SAUM cartridges because of brass availability concerns. I eliminated the 6.8 Western because I don't have confidence it will survive past this initial launch during the pandemic. Skip ahead 10 years, if the 6.8 Western is going strong, it would be a serious contender. Winchester/Browning is trying to phase out the 270WSM for the 6.8 Western.
The 280 AI is kind of a connoisseur's cartridge. It has an interesting history, it's ballistically efficient, the brass lasts a long time, you get one more cartridge in the magazine than a magnum, you can get ammo (or handload) with bullets in a very wide weight range (120-195 grains) with good to great BCs over most of the range. A lot of little things that appeal especially to a handloader. . . . I would compare building a 280 AI to building a 3-series BMW, not a Camry. Sure, you can hot rod an M5 if you want to, but it's maybe more interesting to make a 3 go about as fast with two fewer cylinders. (Hey, I also own a 300 RUM. It's not like you can just have one.)