280 ai or 7mm prc.

Gila

WKR
I wouldn't overlook just a straight 284 either. In a 22in barrel the 280ai and 284 are going to shoot damn near the same speed, the 7PRC, also with a 22in barrel, will be about 100fps faster. IMO, brass quality definitely favors the 284 because even if you can't find Lapua 284 brass you can generally find Lapua 6.5-284 brass and it's an easy neck up from .264 to .284. Also, if you're using an action with any kind of limited COAL, like a Tikka, the 284 will be a better fit.
I am chomping on the bit to get a .284 Win barrel. Amazing what that little cartridge can do with a 180 VLD at 1,000 yards. I think it would do well with a short barrel since the powder column is shorter. Sure fit for a lightweight back pack rifle. Lapua makes brass for the 284 win now. I bought some 2 weeks ago.

Gila

WKR
How does one get 3.6 from a Tikka?
Mountain Tactical makes a bottom metal that accepts AICS long mags. Should be installed by a gunsmith, unless you have some good machining skills. Red Snake Tactical makes a bottom metal up to 3.5” for Tikka or custom stocks. Red Snake uses the same AICS long action mags but will install without modifying the action. Red Snake BM pops in and is really easy to install. Some chassis for Tikka actions will accept the AICS long action mags as well. However the limit is 3.5”.

Gila

WKR
XLR accepts Short Action AICS mags for the Tikka action. MDT HNTR 26 accepts 3.5” COAL (not for sure) in long action AICS mags.

That is Mountain Tactical. Red Snake (3.5’) there is no need to do the mods.
I used Atlasworx bottom metal for the rig pictured, as some of the other 3.715 AICS bottom metals weren't available when I put that rig together. They require more inletting into stocks cut out for standard bottom metals. I'd use the MT version if I were doing one now as they fit a factory stock cut out.

In the previous post you mentioned that Red Snake has a bottom metal for "the same AICS long action mags" that doesn't require action modifications - how exactly are they getting 3.715 AICS mags to work without an extended bolt stop and a notch in the feed ramp?

Gila

WKR
I used Atlasworx bottom metal for the rig pictured, as some of the other 3.715 AICS bottom metals weren't available when I put that rig together. They require more inletting into stocks cut out for standard bottom metals. I'd use the MT version if I were doing one now as they fit a factory stock cut out.

In the previous post you mentioned that Red Snake has a bottom metal for "the same AICS long action mags" that doesn't require action modifications - how exactly are they getting 3.715 AICS mags to work without an extended bolt stop and a notch in the feed ramp?
RS bottom metal is the same cutout for the 3.715” AICS mags however it is moved forward to make the feed ramp with a COAL limit of 3.5”. On the OEM stock may need to rasp out a small amount of the mag well inlet, but then it fits like a glove. I believe it is a drop in for custom stocks though.

RS bottom metal is the same cutout for the 3.715” AICS mags however it is moved forward to make the feed ramp with a COAL limit of 3.5”. On the OEM stock may need to rasp out a small amount of the mag well inlet, but then it fits like a glove. I believe it is a drop in for custom stocks though.
To clarify, you are referring only to 3.5 mags that do not require any action modifications?

Gila

WKR
To clarify, you are referring only to 3.5 mags that do not require any action modifications?
I am talking about the same 3.715” AICS long action mag. A cartridge longer than 3.5” will fit the mag but it won’t feed the action.

I am talking about the same 3.715” AICS long action mag. A cartridge longer than 3.5” will fit the mag but it won’t feed the action.

I must be missing something in translation.

If you use a 3.5 coal cartridge in 3.715 AICS mags in a Tikka without notching the action, the cartridges could/will slide ahead and get caught on the bottom of the feed ramp.

bkshafer

FNG
Happy to see the love for the 280AI in this thread. I thought with all the 7PRC hype I’ve been seeing in recent weeks everyone was going to suggest it.
I have a custom 280AI that shoots fantastic. It currently shoots 180 Berger VLD's at 2990 fps with RL26 and is extremely accurate. I'm building a custom 7mm PRC for fun and just to try something new but I doubt it will do much my 280AI can't do respectfully.

carter33

WKR
I have a custom 280AI that shoots fantastic. It currently shoots 180 Berger VLD's at 2990 fps with RL26 and is extremely accurate. I'm building a custom 7mm PRC for fun and just to try something new but I doubt it will do much my 280AI can't do respectfully.

That sounds extremely fast for a 280AI, mind sharing the barrel length? Have to imagine you got lucky with the barrel and must be pushing it fairly hard. That’s significantly faster than some loaded 7rem mag with the 180s from “custom” ammo loaders. Will be interesting to hear what some attain with the 7 PRC handloading.

bkshafer

FNG
That sounds extremely fast for a 280AI, mind sharing the barrel length? Have to imagine you got lucky with the barrel and must be pushing it fairly hard. That’s significantly faster than some loaded 7rem mag with the 180s from “custom” ammo loaders. Will be interesting to hear what some attain with the 7 PRC handloading.
It is fast sir. It is a 26 inch Benchmark custom barrel. I'm using a pretty stout charge of RL26 that is in line but not the max and was actually given to me by Berger when I called to try and find load data for the 180 grain VLD and RL26. I also confirmed it on the Quick Load program I purchased after the call and before I starting loading a lower charge and moving gradually up. I actually about a grain and a half higher on the charge but the accuracy started decreasing and I started flatening primers I don't have any pressure signs now and I'm consistent and accurate at 2990 fps. But your right I'm pushing it pretty hard. I understand why you would be skeptical. If I hadn't chronographed myself using 2 different chronographs multiple times I would question it also. The interesting thing is I can't get anywhere near that powder charge with the Hornady ELD 175's without immediate excessive pressure signs and much lower speeds. I think it the jacket design meaning the Bergers have less contact with the lands than the Hornady's do. One of the reasons I'm building the 7mm PRC is to handle the 180 class bullets easier. I'm thinking about dropping to a 160 and easing up on the 280 AI.