280 ackley vs 6.8 western

Gila

WKR
EOLs seem to be obsolete….Elite Hunter is the most recent I believe. Pretty much the same BC and hybrid design. I think the only difference that I have seen is that the jacket is different.

For 7mms I think better comparisons could be drawn between the 7 WSM, 7 SAUM and the 284 Winchester. Those cases will shoot the high BC heavies the best. I opted for the 284 Winchester. Plenty of Lapua brass around and it shoots 162 gr ELDs like a bat out of hell. However you will need to put your own rifle together.

Production rifles in 280 AI typically have a slower twist because it is a long action cartridge which was designed before the advent of the long, heavy, high BC bullets. After putting together a few of my own rifles, a 1:7.5” twist will stabilize any heavy for caliber bullet in a 7mm on down to a 22 Creed. Some of the rifle makers have gone to the 1:7.5” for the 6.8 Western. I know Browning has. I only use the “common” tried and true powders. The 284 Winchester does extremely well with the standard H4350 with LRP. The WSMs, SAUMS and especially the 6.8 Western does well with standard retumbo and any good double based powders like RS Magnum. I hear RS Grand has been pushing the 175 gr game changer well. I am still in the process of developing loads for the 6.8 Western. Focus is the 162 gr LRAB and the 175 gr game changer.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
EOLs seem to be obsolete….Elite Hunter is the most recent I believe. Pretty much the same BC and hybrid design. I think the only difference that I have seen is that the jacket is different.

For 7mms I think better comparisons could be drawn between the 7 WSM, 7 SAUM and the 284 Winchester. Those cases will shoot the high BC heavies the best. I opted for the 284 Winchester. Plenty of Lapua brass around and it shoots 162 gr ELDs like a bat out of hell. However you will need to put your own rifle together.

Production rifles in 280 AI typically have a slower twist because it is a long action cartridge which was designed before the advent of the long, heavy, high BC bullets. After putting together a few of my own rifles, a 1:7.5” twist will stabilize any heavy for caliber bullet in a 7mm on down to a 22 Creed. Some of the rifle makers have gone to the 1:7.5” for the 6.8 Western. I know Browning has. I only use the “common” tried and true powders. The 284 Winchester does extremely well with the standard H4350 with LRP. The WSMs, SAUMS and especially the 6.8 Western does well with standard retumbo and any good double based powders like RS Magnum. I hear RS Grand has been pushing the 175 gr game changer well. I am still in the process of developing loads for the 6.8 Western. Focus is the 162 gr LRAB and the 175 gr game changer.
Did they actually change the 170gr bullet or just the name? My boxes of EOL has both EOL and Elite Hunter printed on the same box.

Gila

WKR
Did they actually change the 170gr bullet or just the name? My boxes of EOL has both EOL and Elite Hunter printed on the same box.
Don’t really know the answer for sure….but I know the EOL was proposed by Bob Beck of EOL TV show and designed by Bryan Litz. The only difference that I am aware of is that the Elite Hunter has the newer J4 Jacket. The BC is the same but a different jacket may affect terminal performance if the jackets are in fact different. I couldn’t find anything written down, might be worth a call to Berger.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t really know the answer for sure….but I know the EOL was proposed by Bob Beck of EOL TV show and designed by Bryan Litz. The only difference that I am aware of is that the Elite Hunter has the newer J4 Jacket. The BC is the same but a different jacket may affect terminal performance if the jackets are in fact different. I couldn’t find anything written down, might be worth a call to Berger.
I requested info from Berger, I'll report back when they answer

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider

Browning offers the a bolt pro with a 1:8 twist for the 280 ai. That’s the one I was thinking about purchasing. Will that twist stabilize the 175 to 195 7mm bullets? I’m assuming that will do just fine with the 160s but not so sure on the 175s. I think most factory 280 ai have barrels with a 1:9 twist.

WKR

WKR
Browning offers the a bolt pro with a 1:8 twist for the 280 ai. That’s the one I was thinking about purchasing. Will that twist stabilize the 175 to 195 7mm bullets? I’m assuming that will do just fine with the 160s but not so sure on the 175s. I think most factory 280 ai have barrels with a 1:9 twist.
Yes it will stabilize heavy lead core bullets. If you start shooting the super long and heavy mono's is where you might possibly need something faster than a 1:8.

Gila

WKR
Hornady recommends at least a 1:8” twist for the 180 eld-m while Berger 195 EOL hunting requires at least a 1:9” twist. While a 1:7.5” would be optimal, I think the 1:8” should work just fine for a 280 AI. The 6.8 Western 175 gr. Game changer needs at least a 1:8” twist. Match bullets and monos are generally longer bullets and typically require a faster twist

manitou1

WKR

Browning has also gone to 1:8 for the 280ai and mine loves 175s.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Hornady recommends at least a 1:8” twist for the 180 eld-m while Berger 195 EOL hunting requires at least a 1:9” twist. While a 1:7.5” would be optimal, I think the 1:8” should work just fine for a 280 AI. The 6.8 Western 175 gr. Game changer needs at least a 1:8” twist. Match bullets and monos are generally longer bullets and typically require a faster twist
Good to know. Sounds like browning did their homework and got it right.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
StraIght from Berger regarding the change from EOL Elite Hunter to Elite Hunter: No changes to the bullet, only the name.