280 ackley vs 6.8 western

WKR

WKR
I am just saying that there is very little difference when you look at them both side by side.
Yeah I get what you're saying, but my point is although they might look similar visually, there is a pretty significant difference when comparing the two cartridges internal volume and design.
The 6.5 prc h20 capacity is around 67 grains
The 6.8 is around 76 grains of h20.

This probably doesn't matter much to someone who only buys factory loads and doesn't handload. But to a cartridge nerd like myself, these type of little details are what matter in cartridge selection.

Edit: to the op, if you are curious, the 280 AI h20 case capacity is really close to the 6.8 western at around 71-73 depending on brass manufacturers.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I get what you're saying, but my point is although they might look similar visually, there is a pretty significant difference when comparing the two cartridges internal volume and design.
The 6.5 prc h20 capacity is around 67 grains
The 6.8 is around 76 grains of h20.

This probably doesn't matter much to someone who only buys factory loads and doesn't handload. But to a cartridge nerd like myself, these type of little details are what matter in cartridge selection.

Edit: to the op, if you are curious, the 280 AI h20 case capacity is really close to the 6.8 western at around 71-73 depending on brass manufacturers.
That’s an important piece of information on the case capacity of the 280 vs 6.8 … that puts them really close. That being the case what makes the 6.8 a better down range caliber as some of the reviews state? I thought it was because of the higher case capacity and the higher velocity

WKR

WKR
How much slower do you think the 280 are with similar weight bullets?

Since the browning has 1:8 twist would it stabilize bullets lighter than 160 well?
Are you reloading or buying factory ammo?

The .280 will have very similar speeds across the board compared to the 6.8, its really a choice between component availability( or ammo availability if you don't reload) between a .284 or .277

And yes an 8 twist will stabilize lighter weight bullets. Thats the really good thing about browning factory guns, is they have the correct twist rate on all their rifles, rather than going to slow like tikka used to do.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Are you reloading or buying factory ammo?

The .280 will have very similar speeds across the board compared to the 6.8, its really a choice between component availability( or ammo availability if you don't reload) between a .284 or .277

And yes an 8 twist will stabilize lighter weight bullets. Thats the really good thing about browning factory guns, is they have the correct twist rate on all their rifles, rather than going to slow like tikka used to do.
Yes planning to reload. That’s another plus for the 280 if it can stabilize the lighter bullets but still shoot the heavy bullets.

wyosam

WKR
Doesn’t matter. Nothing you ever shoot will know the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NuclearGrave

Lil-Rokslider
I like this comparison. They are both hand loading propositions ultimately. There are more 7mm bullets available but 6.8w does have some great options. There is more 280ai brass today but adg jumping on 6.8w is all you will need. I personally lean 6.8w because I believe it offers great performance in a smaller action and works well in shorter barrel.

204_ruger

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with a 280AI rifle. Browning offers a 1@8 twist 26-inch barrel. I bought mine to shoot ELD 175 gr or 180 gr bullet.

Erebor

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka platform. I'm seeing that 130-170's through the Western. The 280 will do 120's (the lightest I'd shoot)-170's. Shorter than 24" tube.

goodlife

FNG
Based on some experience with quite a few cartridges, my guess is you could hunt with both and never see any difference in field performance.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I was on the fence like you between the 2 cartridges you mentioned. I ended up with the 6.8W. Really impressed, as you can see in the pictures, these are the very first 7 shots on a new rifle at 100 yards. Recoil isn’t bad at all, feels like a 30-06 with a 180 grain load, but to be fair the rifle does have a muzzle brake on it. Good luck with whichever you decide to choose.

Attachments

• IMG_5687.jpeg
    IMG_5687.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5686.jpeg
    IMG_5686.jpeg
    429.9 KB · Views: 20

z987k

WKR
They are so similar it doesn't matter.

Both shoot the 165s at about 2950.
.007in different diameter.

280ai will live forever regardless of factory support since you can make it from -06.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Well this doesn’t make my decision any easier. I guess from what I’m hearing is short action vs long actin since they are so close ballistically and light vs lighter rifle. Plus 6.8 is new and interesting but may not be around forever where as the 280 ai here for the long haul.

I was thinking that if I really wanted a light Weight mountain rifle I would seriously consider the 7mn-08 in a Kimber Montana, Kimber hunter, or a tikka super lite
I would assume that it’s good out to 500 yards with the right bullet and proper placement on any thing up to elk.

I was thinking that if I really wanted a light weight mountain rifle I could seriously consider the 7mn-08 in a Kimber Montana, Kimber hunter, or a tikka super lite
I would assume that it’s good out to 500 yards with the right bullet on anything up to elk.

That being said a 280 ai may make a good choice since I would already have 7mm bullets on hand for the 7mm-08 🤔

WKR

WKR
Well this doesn’t make my decision any easier. I guess from what I’m hearing is short action vs long actin since they are so close ballistically and light vs lighter rifle. Plus 6.8 is new and interesting but may not be around forever where as the 280 ai here for the long haul.

I was thinking that if I really wanted a light Weight mountain rifle I would seriously consider the 7mn-08 in a Kimber Montana, Kimber hunter, or a tikka super lite
I would assume that it’s good out to 500 yards with the right bullet and proper placement on any thing up to elk.

I was thinking that if I really wanted a light weight mountain rifle I could seriously consider the 7mn-08 in a Kimber Montana, Kimber hunter, or a tikka super lite
I would assume that it’s good out to 500 yards with the right bullet on anything up to elk.

That being said a 280 ai may make a good choice since I would already have 7mm bullets on hand for the 7mm-08 🤔
The 280 and 7-08 are so closely related that it wouldn't make a ton of sense to me to have both.

A 6mm creed and a 280ai or a 6.8 would be a good pairing.

I think the answer to your question between the 6.8 and the 280 is this, do you want a cartridge that is designed to shoot the heaviest and highest bc projectiles in its caliber (6.8 western)?

or conversely do you want a cartridge that can shoot the heavies and preform well but does best with the middle weight bullet selection in its caliber (.280 ai)?

The 280 ai shines with the 160gr class bullets but starts dropping off velocity when you get into the 175, 180gr heavy 7mm projectiles that have the highest bc. So what I would do is compare the bc's of the 7mm 150-170gr bullets you want to shoot to that of the heavy .277 160-175gr bullets, run a few ballistic solver calculations at the speeds and distance you plan on shooting, then base your decision off that.

The only other factors are if you want a short action therfore short bolt cycle, or a longer bolt cycle with the 280. And if you care about having 3 rounds in the mag vs 4.

Edit: I wouldn't worry too much about the 6.8 western disappearing. Browning/winchester will always support it, and recently ADG started producing brass for it.

Yeah, they do about the same. I’d prefer a short action and fatter case but would also prefer 7mm bullet options over 277. I’m not aware of any 277 bullets that are particularly enticing so I’d probably lean 280.

WKR

WKR
Yeah, they do about the same. I’d prefer a short action and fatter case but would also prefer 7mm bullet options over 277. I’m not aware of any 277 bullets that are particularly enticing so I’d probably lean 280.
175 TGK and 170 EOL are good choices, but you're right, there's a better selection of .284's for sure

The 280 and 7-08 are so closely related that it wouldn't make a ton of sense to me to have both.

A 6mm creed and a 280ai or a 6.8 would be a good pairing.

I think the answer to your question between the 6.8 and the 280 is this, do you want a cartridge that is designed to shoot the heaviest and highest bc projectiles in its caliber (6.8 western)?

or conversely do you want a cartridge that can shoot the heavies and preform well but does best with the middle weight bullet selection in its caliber (.280 ai)?

The 280 ai shines with the 160gr class bullets but starts dropping off velocity when you get into the 175, 180gr heavy 7mm projectiles that have the highest bc. So what I would do is compare the bc's of the 7mm 150-170gr bullets you want to shoot to that of the heavy .277 160-175gr bullets, run a few ballistic solver calculations at the speeds and distance you plan on shooting, then base your decision off that.

The only other factors are if you want a short action therfore short bolt cycle, or a longer bolt cycle with the 280. And if you care about having 3 rounds in the mag vs 4.

Edit: I wouldn't worry too much about the 6.8 western disappearing. Browning/winchester will always support it, and recently ADG started producing brass for it.
Do you own a 280 AI? We are shooting 175 and 180 gr bullets in ours with great success.