280 ackley vs 6.8 western

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Considering purchasing a new light weight rifle in a browning x bolt pro. Two calibers I’m considering are the 280 ai and the 6.8 western. Was leaning towards the 280 but after researching the 6.8 western I’m kinda leaning that way. One thing that may be an issue is the availability and cost of brass for either caliber.
Help me decide! Thanks

It is my opinion to go with the 280 AI. I like the increased selection of bullets and the forgiving factor of brass (using the parent case and fire form) a little more than the Western. Although I have seen a fair amount of loaded ammo for each, I like the selection of 280 better. I can not speak of either of these chamberings in real world terminal ballistics as I don't shoot either of these. I have an uncle and cousin who shoot the 280 rem and they swear by it for Mule deer, elk, moose, and black bears.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Think both are great cartridges. Both are similar ballistically. The main difference is short action for 6.8W and 6.8W saami is faster twist so factory loads will get the longer bullets where need to handload for 280ai to get them. Neither are great for brass currently but can easily be formed from other cartridges. The 6.8 is getting ADG brass soon so that is big plus. I’m not sure but I don’t think will see a cost delta one way or other

Lou

kodiak725

FNG
I am a huge fan of my 280ai. Between the two you listed, I guess I would break it down to whether you want a long or short action. Performance wise you probably wont see much difference.

Considering purchasing a new light weight rifle in a browning x bolt pro. Two calibers I’m considering are the 280 ai and the 6.8 western. Was leaning towards the 280 but after researching the 6.8 western I’m kinda leaning that way. One thing that may be an issue is the availability and cost of brass for either caliber.
Help me decide! Thanks
I have both. I was already an x-bolt pro fan having one in 300 PFC and a Pro Long range (heavier) in 6.8 Western. I wanted a lightweight smaller caliber rifle and considered an x-bolt pro in 6.8 but ended going with a much lighter Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 Ti in 280 AI. Long story but I ended up also with another (3rd one) X-bolt Mountain Pro in 6.8 Western. I think that the x-bolt Pro or Mtn. Pro would be outstanding in either caliber especially with the 8 twist in the 280AI. My Weatherby has a 9 twist. For my loads, the 6.8 Western is burning about 12 grains more powder compared to the 280AI so I'd consider it more powerful with the associated higher recoil. Currently using Peterson brass in 280AI and Win brass in 6.8 Western. I'm planning on switching to ADG brass for the 6.8 when it becomes available soon. Plenty of good quality bullets in .277 to meet most any demands for hunting.

I have owned both, and still have the 280 AI. The 6.8 western was sold to my buddy. You are splitting hairs. Long action vs short action if a few ounces matter to you. I love my 280 AI. I have wanted one for a long time. You have a lot of high bc options in 7mm, so advantage 280 in that regard.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Perfect… a guy that owns both and can give a good comparison.

I’m surprised on the amount of powder that 6.8 can hold over the 280 … 12 more grains! That should equate to approximately 150-200 more fps and approximately 200 more foot pounds of down range energy. Which could result in 200-300 more yards of killing power and a reduction of approximately 3-4 inches in drop over the 280 are 4-500 yard mark?

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. I was already an x-bolt pro fan having one in 300 PFC and a Pro Long range (heavier) in 6.8 Western. I wanted a lightweight smaller caliber rifle and considered an x-bolt pro in 6.8 but ended going with a much lighter Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 Ti in 280 AI. Long story but I ended up also with another (3rd one) X-bolt Mountain Pro in 6.8 Western. I think that the x-bolt Pro or Mtn. Pro would be outstanding in either caliber especially with the 8 twist in the 280AI. My Weatherby has a 9 twist. For my loads, the 6.8 Western is burning about 12 grains more powder compared to the 280AI so I'd consider it more powerful with the associated higher recoil. Currently using Peterson brass in 280AI and Win brass in 6.8 Western. I'm planning on switching to ADG brass for the 6.8 when it becomes available soon. Plenty of good quality bullets in .277 to meet most any demands for hunting.
If you had to choose just one which one would it be. I’ve never owned a browning x bolt so I know nothing about it or the pro model. What about them makes you like the pro model so much. I was drawn the browning pro because they are on clearance for a decent price. I was also considering a Kimber Montana.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider

I’m surprised on the amount of powder that 6.8 can hold over the 280 … 12 more grains! That should equate to approximately 150-200 more fps and approximately 200 more foot pounds of down range energy. Which could result in 200-300 more yards of killing power and a reduction of approximately 3-4 inches in drop over the 280 are 4-500 yard mark?

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned both, and still have the 280 AI. The 6.8 western was sold to my buddy. You are splitting hairs. Long action vs short action if a few ounces matter to you. I love my 280 AI. I have wanted one for a long time. You have a lot of high bc options in 7mm, so advantage 280 in that regard.

SloppyJ

WKR
To me the bullet selection alone in 7mm is enough reason to get the 280ai. I love mine and I also think the 6.8W is cool. However, you have many more options with the 280ai.

I am having a tough time wrapping my head around the 6.8 western having more case capacity than the 280 AI. The 6.8 western is essentially a 6.5 PRC necked up to .277.

Here is a picture I took of the 6.5 PRC and 6.8 western (I also own a 6.5 PRC).IMG_2052.jpeg

WKR

WKR
I am having a tough time wrapping my head around the 6.8 western having more case capacity than the 280 AI. The 6.8 western is essentially a 6.5 PRC necked up to .277.

Here is a picture I took of the 6.5 PRC and 6.8 western (I also own a 6.5 PRC).View attachment 741533
Its not just a necked up 6.5 prc
Its parent case is the 270 wsm but with the shoulder bumped back to fit better in a short action with the longer high bc bullets and a 35 degree shoulder.
Also its a magnum bolt face compared to the standard bolt face of the .280 rem/ai
Thats where you will see the increase in case capacity.
The 6.8 western is 0.555 at the .200 line.

Shooting mono bullets in each I get about:
- 280AI- 132gr HHT 3250fps 55gr H4350
- 6.8W - 151gr HHT. 3250fps 67gr Ramshot Grand

These are different burn rate powders so the 12 grain difference is deceiving

I like The x-bolt Pro/Mtn Pro because of nice carbon stock (by McMillan I believe)

The rifles are like children I cannot choose between them

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider

I like The x-bolt Pro/Mtn Pro because of nice carbon stock (by McMillan I believe)

Yeah I would prefer to shoot the heavier 160 plus in the 280 if I went that route. I would like to look at a comparison with similar grain billets to get a true comparison…

Its not just a necked up 6.5 prc
Its parent case is the 270 wsm but with the shoulder bumped back to fit better in a short action with the longer high bc bullets and a 35 degree shoulder.
Also its a magnum bolt face compared to the standard bolt face of the .280 rem/ai
Thats where you will see the increase in case capacity.
The 6.8 western is 0.555 at the .200 line.
I am just saying that there is very little difference when you look at them both side by side.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider

Is the standard pro Stock a McMillan as well? It doesn’t say what brand it is on the website. think the more expensive mountain is a McMillan for sure according to the product description

Yeah I would prefer to shoot the heavier 160 plus in the 280 if I went that route. I would like to look at a comparison with similar grain billets to get a true comparison…
Understood. I have 165gr ABLR for 6.8 Western and for the 7mm I have 168ABLR and also 160 AB. I’d have to look back in my notes for results. Those heavies do run slower though. I like the faster bullets for less time of flight.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Understood. I have 165gr ABLR for 6.8 Western and for the 7mm I have 168ABLR and also 160 AB. I’d have to look back in my notes for results. Those heavies do run slower though. I like the faster bullets for less time of flight.
How much slower do you think the 280 are with similar weight bullets?

Since the browning has 1:8 twist would it stabilize bullets lighter than 160 well?