28 nosler vs 300 wby mag

Elk Larry

FNG
I've finally decided to go elk hunting in Colorado this fall just need to figure out what gun to buy yet. Thinking about either the Christensen arms ridgeline 28 nosler or weatherby weathermark lt in 300 wby mag. Both are very similar in cost and performance just wondered what everyone else's thoughts were. Any input would be appreciated.

DVM92

FNG
Many more options for ammo with 300 BEE, check Midwayusa. Not sure if you are shooting with a brake or not but the recoil of both calibers is significant. I would classify the recoil of the 300 Bee and very stout! The 28 nosler not too far behind. Both are more than enough for elk and I do not think you would ever tell a difference in on game performance. With Weatherby dropping all their ammo prices 30%, it is now much more affordable to shoot their calibers. With that being said, 7mag, 30-06 and 300 win mag are just as effective with a lot less recoil.

I've shot a ton of North American game with my $399 Weatherby Vanguard. It shoots everything from 165 grain to 220 grain bullets and it's the first gun I pull out if I'm going on a hunt.

Although, if I was going to buy a new rifle, it would probably be a 28 Nosler. But I would want to make sure that the chamber was reamed for the higher 180-190 grain bullets.

That doesn't mean that I don't love my Weatherby, the 28 Nosler is just newer case design.

elkguide

WKR
Having a "few" rifles in different calibers to hunt with, I select from among them depending on what and where I plan on hunting. When I'm hunting elk...… it's always a .30 caliber. Of the 5 different .30 calibers that I have I usually grab a .300 Win Mag. Man do I love getting a new rifle! Good luck.

LightFoot

WKR
I like the new Weatherbys. Lots of good new features. I would expect great accuracy, too.

Like already said, the ammo selection is much better.

If you are going ultra long range, then the 28 Nosler is the way to go.

The 300 Wby thumps hard... on both ends.

>>>----JAKE----->