270 Win OR 270 WSM??

armyjoe

Super Moderator
So I'm in the hunt for a new rifle and I'm on the fence between these two calibers.

I know the 270WSM on paper shows better ballistic ratings but I'm looking for actual feedback from people who own or have fired them. One thing I have noticed is the 270win ammo is much cheaper and easier to find compared to WSM. I plan to use this rifle for javelina, deer....pretty much anything smaller then an elk.

Also if you guys have any manufactures to recommend that would be great. I'm kind of leaning towards Tikka T3 Lite. My budget is about $850 and below

Thanks
- Joe

would stick with 270 for all the reasons you mentioned, and i reload everything. the inconvenience and cost alone would deter me from any wsm. , but then again this old fart doesnt like much new stuff.......

Stid2677

WKR
I have had a few of each and still have a 270WSM. IMHO, I would stick with the 270 WIN. The steep angle of the shoulder on the 270WSM made for difficult feeding rounds. I sold the push to feed rifle and the one I held onto is a CRF Winchester Model 70 EW. Plus a 270 Win will hold 4 in the mag on most rifles and 3 with 270 WSM.

YMMV

Steve

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have used both cartridges, and like them both. The 270 WSM is especially nice for MPBR shooting, since it is super flat.

I had two 270 WSMs, though, and they shared one thing in common: poor barrel life. If you plan to shoot a lot, the 270 Win throat will last much longer.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
If I had to choose between those two. It would be the 270 win

NoWiser

WKR
I have the Tikka T3 Lite in 270 WSM and love it! The groups I can get with 130 grain TTSX handloads are pretty incredible considering I don't really shoot all that much compared to some. The one thing I didn't like is that at close ranges it pretty much vaporized everything I shot. I switched to Barnes bullets and it solved that problem. Since making that switch it has taken two moose, a wolf, a few whitetails, a mulie, the heads off of several grouse, and a handful of varmints. I'm not one to own multiple rifles, so this thing will easily work for anything in North America. Don't see myself ever needing to buy another rifle until I have kids.

shaun

WKR
I have u few buddys that swear by the 270wsm in the Tikka. If you go that way let me know and I will get you their load data. They are absolute tack drivers

I have the tikka in 270 wsm. I am not a great rifle shot but can get good groups out to 500 yards, which is as far as I've tried. So far my gun has killed 2 aoudad at about 100 yards and it made a fist sized hole in both. Downside is 50 dollars for a box of shells.

bobhunts

WKR
I bought the .270 win for my daughter as I know she probably will not reload and ammo can be found most anywhere. That Savage 110 in Stainless Synthetic shot pretty good groups with just about any ammo I fed it. Pretty nice 12th birthday present. Bob.