Optic for .270

djdesanto

FNG
Howdy,

Looking for some help deciding between some options for an optic for hunting rifle. Getting a .270 Tikka T3x Lite and have been going back and forth within the forums and going down one rabbit hole after another.

I'll be hunting mostly in PA/DE/MD/NY areas with the occasional outing in Texas & Colorado, not immediately expecting to need to reach out beyond 300yds (but like the ability to, if needed). The options below meet most of my selection criteria, but what I'm looking for is some real world experience and feedback with any of these.
Necessary: FFP, MIL/MRAD, Illuminated Reticle, and Zero Stop
Nice-to-haves: Capped and/or locking turrets, decent FOV & eye relief, durability, and something that won't break the bank (~<$1K)
Note: I was originally leaning towards the Athlon Helos BTR Gen 2 2-12x42 AHMR2, but removed due to horrible drop test results (thanks Rokslide community & youtube)

Options are:
  • Vortex Viper PST Gen II 2-10x32
  • Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44
  • Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x44
  • SWFA SS HD 3-15x42
  • Primary Arms GLx 2.5-10x44
  • Burris XTR II 2-10x42
  • Burris XTR II 3-15x50

Suggestions/feedback much appreciated! Thanks y'all

Attachments

• Optic270.png
    Optic270.png
    195.8 KB · Views: 23

MHWASH

WKR
If you can overlook the zero stop, which I have some with and without, take a look at the SS 3-9 and the SVH 3-10. I have both of these.

The only consistently reliable scope on your list is the SWFA. Although, I cant say I have seen much on the PA scope.You couldnt pay me to put a Vortex on my rifle.

JFK

WKR
Nightforce shv 3-10 but it’s sfp.

Swfa 6x or 3-9. No reason to have 3-15 for the ranges you mentioned. It’s just extra weight.

I have the NF 3-10 and the swfa 3-9, and I like the nightforce a lot more. Regularly shoot it out to 200-600 yards dialing between every shot and it’s always spot on. Both solid scopes though.

OP
D

djdesanto

FNG
If you can overlook the zero stop, which I have some with and without, take a look at the SS 3-9 and the SVH 3-10. I have both of these.
Thanks, Matt. I do like the NF MOAR reticle. What's your take on the SHV overall?

Mind if I ask your opinion on having zero stop or not on a hunting rifle?

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
For a hunting rifle I prefer a 3-12 with at least a 50mm objective. I prefer a 30mm tube scope also. You need the low power for field of view at closer shots but 12 power is plenty for out to 500 yards on deer size game. Take a look at Leupold, and Meopta. I love my Meopta meostar 3-12X56 30mm tube. Every bit as good glass as my HIGH DOLLAR Zeiss. Check out Bear Bason (SP?) They sell about all scopes and have really good prices. I believe they are in California. I have learned over the years to not skimp on the glass. You can only hit what you can see clearly.

OP
D

djdesanto

FNG
The only consistently reliable scope on your list is the SWFA. Although, I cant say I have seen much on the PA scope.You couldnt pay me to put a Vortex on my rifle.
Interesting to hear about Vortex.. may I ask why?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
If you are shooting under 300 yards I wouldn't rule out SFP, especially in the tight woods of the East where the small FFP reticle at the critical 4-6X mag range is much harder to see vs. SFP reticles.

I run SHV-3-10 on my hunting and also match rifles. Dials out to 1000m reliably. Capped turrets are nice for beating round in the bush so you don't spin dials by accident. The scope can be set and forget for the closer east coast shots you'd expect. I'd prefer if it had zero stop, but honesty never really had an issue and to go more than one rev and needing to count you're shooting 600+ yards most likely.

I shot mil/MRAD for years on comp guns, but my SHVs are all MOA simply because I like the MOAR reticles more than the Mil-R for hunting and would probably use a duplex for closer range if I could get one.

The SHV are extremely reliable and this is my #1 selection criteria in a scope. I have seen plenty of guys with scopes that have gone down. You don't want it happening during a hunt which means the hunt is ruined. That is very expensive in many ways and no warranty can make up for the lost time and money due to a failure.

With the NF SHV I never worry about losing zero with them. They always dial correct, return to zero, and never shift zero when being beaten around on quads, tied to a pack, or when I'm belly crawling into position to get a shot with the rifle in my hand. They always work and there's something to be said in having a scope you can always trust to do its job. They are fairly priced as well for what you get and their construction is really solid. They are just a very confidence inspiring piece of gear and having confidence in what you are shooting makes you more accurate when nerves are pumping.

I hunt the same areas as the op, and now use swfa 6x and 3-9 scopes. If I couldn't get one of those, I would use a nightforce shv f1 or the nxs 2-10.

MHWASH

WKR
Thanks, Matt. I do like the NF MOAR reticle. What's your take on the SHV overall?

Mind if I ask your opinion on having zero stop or not on a hunting rifle?
Southern Lights pretty much nailed it. As long as you take time to dial back down after the shot I don't see an issue, especially if your not dialing in more than one rotation.

Of your list, Burris.
Not on your list, Meopta.
I do not like FFP on a hunting rifle. The reticle at low power is too hard to see, especially at first/last light.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
For big game hunting out to 400 yards, I am of the opinion dialing is not necessary. I think way too many people are fixated on dialing and tracking. 30mm tubes provide extra adjustment, but I never thought they helped much with light gathering. Maybe I'm too old and not keeping up with modern technology, but I base my opinions on almost 50 years of east coast hunting.

The reticle at low power is too hard to see, especially at first/last light.

This is dependent on the reticle. I used the swfa milquad to make a shot 29 minutes before sunrise, shooting down the western side of a hill last season. The reticle was easily visible. Most ffp reticle are worthless for hunting.

S.Clancy

WKR
I shoot a Burris Veracity, 2-10x42, SFP. I have shot that scope out to 850 yds (target) and over 500 yds on animals. The drop is consistent and brightness/clarity is good. It is heavy tho, but my gun weighs ~ 8 lbs without a scope, so it's not like it mattered to me. For a .270 I don't think you need more than 10 power, IMO

Buckhead

FNG
I have a Tikka 3x in .270 (pictured) and a Sako 85 in .270. Have found that a 3x9 is plenty, used on both rifles. Have a Trijicon Huron 3x9 on the Tikka. Non illuminated reticle, but good eye relief and clarity, impressive quality. $450 or so, street price. Made under contract for Trijicon (Japanese -LOW).
IMG_1858.jpeg

OP
D

djdesanto

FNG
For big game hunting out to 400 yards, I am of the opinion dialing is not necessary. I think way too many people are fixated on dialing and tracking. 30mm tubes provide extra adjustment, but I never thought they helped much with light gathering. Maybe I'm too old and not keeping up with modern technology, but I base my opinions on almost 50 years of east coast hunting.
Dialing and tracking isn't a necessity for what I'm looking for. Just a nice-to-have if all else fits

OP
D

djdesanto

FNG
Thanks everyone for the feedback and info!
I still have time to make a final decision, so going to try and get my hands (/eyes) on some different options.

Also might reconsider SFP given the responses. Would just like to stick with MIL if possible, I know there's a lot more MOA options available if SFP.

NightForce, Trijicon, or Burris are the front-runners for now