270 Win antelope bullet choice

hodgeman

WKR
My son's 270 shoots the 145 ELDX over a full charge of IMR 4955 very well. 2950fps and 1/2MOA is hard not to like for just about anything.

The 130gr Speers and H4831 goes together like apple pie and vanilla ice cream.

Hard not to like the 270. I think just about anything the rifles shoot well will be a winner.

Gila

WKR
I have taken quite a few pronghorn over the years with Hornady 130gr leaving the muzzle at about 3150 fps. It will reach out and touch em. Bullet drop of about 16” at 400 yards. It doesn’t take much to bring the little goats down and the 130gr is the most accurate out of my .270.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Killed several shooting 130 fusion. Not fancy or expensive but shoot well in my gun and have DRT 4 antelope. All options listed are solid choices. Whatever your gun likes.

SouthPaw

WKR
Most options listed should get the job done with a good shot.

Do you reload? Antelope country means wind, and two options for a standard 1:10tw .270 I would recommend are the 140 berger classic hunter and the 145 ELDx, whichever shoots better from your gun. I have the 140 berger doing 3025fps (H4831sc) into the same hole and its a hammer on deer sized game, while having a solid BC for .270win.

WCB

WKR
I'm personally a fan of shooting high weight retention bullets on goats. you get very little meat off of them anyways and also for taxidermy reasons smaller and less holes is nice.

I'm personally a fan of shooting high weight retention bullets on goats. you get very little meat off of them anyways and also for taxidermy reasons smaller and less holes is nice.
That is the truth! The 15 inch pronghorn on my wall had to have a new cape donated from another animal because a ballistic tip blew such a big hole on a frontal quartering shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: WCB

CJ19

WKR
145 grain eldx are insanely accurate out of my tikka t3x lite ss in 270. I forget the exact load we had worked up with out looking. But i do remember basically all the powder charges listed in the hornady book shot extremely well with that bullet and rifle. I have basically settled on that bullet as my go to for everything from groundhogs to elk. No reason for me use anything else.

That being said, I am going to try some copper bullets bc i like to tinker with my rifles. Even when i have "perfect load" i still like to try new loads and new rifles bc its an addiction. I know barnes are super popular but are hammers on the same level? Odb, you ever try hammers?

I've shot 2 antelope with 145 ELD-X out of my model 70 and had good performance. I've also shot a handful with barnes 80 gr out of a 243 that worked great, so I would think the TTSX would be a good option.

I just went for the heavier high BC bullet due to the wind and longer distances antelope hunting.

Hammers are better than Barnes
145 grain eldx are insanely accurate out of my tikka t3x lite ss in 270. I forget the exact load we had worked up with out looking. But i do remember basically all the powder charges listed in the hornady book shot extremely well with that bullet and rifle. I have basically settled on that bullet as my go to for everything from groundhogs to elk. No reason for me use anything else.

That being said, I am going to try some copper bullets bc i like to tinker with my rifles. Even when i have "perfect load" i still like to try new loads and new rifles bc its an addiction. I know barnes are super popular but are hammers on the same level? Odb, you ever try hammers?
Hammers have been better than Barnes for me on almost every level. Bullet quality, ease to reload, accuracy, terminal ballistics the only place I think Barnes is better is their price and ballistic coefficient in some models. Hammers are top notch quality products.

If I didn't have such a good experience with the Barnes line of bullets for a long time, and didn't have plenty of them on hand for years to come, I could be tempted to try the Hammers.

oilman87

FNG
I’ve killed 8 antelope with a 130g SST, shots ranging from 80-400 yards. All but one were one shot kills, the one that wasn’t was poor shooting on my part.

Mt Al

WKR
I used 130 gr Core Lokts for over 20 years in my 270 and took about 15 antelope in that time from 50 to 400+ yards (would guess 200 yard average). Worked like a charm, zero failures.