270 Win antelope bullet choice

BrettJolly

Lil-Rokslider
Hello guys, the wife and I are getting ready for a Wyoming antelope hunt this fall. I know any bullet can and will kill an antelope, but just looking for ideas in 270 Winchester. Wife and I both shoot 270s, and will be getting them dialed in soon. Was thinking something like a 145 ELDX, 130 or 140 SST, 130 or 140 NBT?

Thanks for any advice

Viper*6

FNG
I used to use the Remington 130 gr Core-Lokt ammo before I started to reload. Now I use the Hornady 130 gr SP (Interlock) or the Nosler 130 gr AB for everything. Moose, Elk, Caribou, Griz, Black Bear, Sheep, Mt Goat, Deer, Coyote, Jack Rabbit, etc. They just work! The 270 Win is my go-to rifle most of the time.

Any of your choices would be excellent. I’d go with the one that both of your rifles like the best. Ideally it’d be the same bullet and you could get lucky enough to find a load that shoots well in both rifles. After that I’d go with the highest b.c.

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot two using a 270wsm with nosler 130gr BT. Be hard for me not to recommend them. Seems like .277” and 130gr are the default combo for most.

Do you actually have the ammo or do you reload? Components are getting really difficult to find. Fortunately, with the 6.5 craze there's plenty of 277 cal stuff available. I like your 145 eld-x idea. Soft bullet that will open quickly and has a high enough BC to cut through the wind in the event of a longer shot. I like the 150 grain ballistic tip and 140 grain Sierra Tipped Game King.

JM57

FNG
As stated already they are easy to kill. Just use the load that is the most accurate for your rifles and have fun!

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a big fan of 270 win for all types of big game… I have shot 150 grain for the last 4 years, but am switching back to 130 grain this year for lighter skin animals… I found the 130 grain accubond shot very consistent out of our families 270’s

OP
BrettJolly

BrettJolly

Lil-Rokslider
Do you actually have the ammo or do you reload? Components are getting really difficult to find. Fortunately, with the 6.5 craze there's plenty of 277 cal stuff available. I like your 145 eld-x idea. Soft bullet that will open quickly and has a high enough BC to cut through the wind in the event of a longer shot. I like the 150 grain ballistic tip and 140 grain Sierra Tipped Game King.
I have the components for most things plus have access to a Reloader that has an huge stock of everything 270

They aren’t very hard to kill. I used a 110gr TTSX this past year and worked great. Minimal meat loss too.
110 TTSX for the (270) win! I highly like that bullet. Same bullet does the job for elk. Literally a pronghorn to deer to elk load in the 270 Win my son shoots. Very accurate bullet in that gun.

2X agreement on the minimal meat loss.

With that said the same 270 Win has taken pronghorn with the 130 and 150 gr ballistic tip, and meat loss on an animal that doesn't have much to begin with is very notable. Accubond didn't exist when I used those bullets.

For sure it doesn't take much to kill an antelope however frangible bullets are still frangible bullets. Partition is a great design for the problems with terminal performance that existed when it was invented. Still, the front half of that bullet expands like a regular cup and core bullet (i.e. meat loss) despite the back half exiting on anything I have used it on. I haven't shot anything that isn't a copper or controlled expansion (bonded) for a long time.

Last edited: